diy solar

diy solar

Just Place new Order on Alibaba- 280AH x 8 for 1260.00 USD Delivered, Grade A to Canada

I thought I read somewhere Amy didn't want to pack the cells in the box. I could be wrong. But if they sold it everything prebuilt, like a drop in battery, that would be different. Personally I wouldn't want that and I am only interested in the box.

As far as the cable assembly I agree with you. Everyone has different needs. I would prefer posts but I would be ok with the Anderson connectors and I would need to know the wire size and the capacity of the connectors and if they are authentic. I would also need to know more about the meter. Are they using a hall sensor or a shunt? Don't know. I don't think a bluetooth signal would pass through metal very well but there might be a work around for it. And everything will be a tight fit. Will a BMS fit in there? Lots to consider but the box is a step in the right direction and I still like it.

If I get serious enough I will contact Amy and see what the shipping cost is and get into the details with her.
IIRC, a SB-50 is 6AWG or smaller. The same as my PP-75s. You have to step up to the next size larger for heavier cables. For 4AWG I'm using PP-120s.

I thought I read somewhere Amy didn't want to pack the cells in the box. I could be wrong. But if they sold it everything prebuilt, like a drop in battery, that would be different. Personally I wouldn't want that and I am only interested in the box.

As far as the cable assembly I agree with you. Everyone has different needs. I would prefer posts but I would be ok with the Anderson connectors and I would need to know the wire size and the capacity of the connectors and if they are authentic. I would also need to know more about the meter. Are they using a hall sensor or a shunt? Don't know. I don't think a bluetooth signal would pass through metal very well but there might be a work around for it. And everything will be a tight fit. Will a BMS fit in there? Lots to consider but the box is a step in the right direction and I still like it.

If I get serious enough I will contact Amy and see what the shipping cost is and get into the details with her.
From the dimensions given, there should be a 5cm space on one end.
5 X 23 X 31 should be plenty of room for the BMS. You'll probably need something to keep the cells from shifting and crushing it, but that is easy to solve.

From the dimensions given, there should be a 5cm space on one end.
5 X 23 X 31 should be plenty of room for the BMS. You'll probably need something to keep the cells from shifting and crushing it, but that is easy to solve.
If so, that is almost 2 inches. A piece of 8mm plywood against the cells with the BMS mounted to it and a couple of 42mm wooden pieces on either side to fill the gap and hold it all in place. I think wood would be good for that and is easy for anyone to work with, even if you only have hand tools to do it.

If so, that is almost 2 inches. A piece of 8mm plywood against the cells with the BMS mounted to it and a couple of 42mm wooden pieces on either side to fill the gap and hold it all in place. I think wood would be good for that and is easy for anyone to work with, even if you only have hand tools to do it.
You should see the size of my BMS, just the Alu extrusion is 4.65cm * 11.77cm * 23.7cm (with the 4AWG leads I'll need more like 33cm span)
20200826_153955.jpg

Edit : 8s square pack should be 34.72 * 28.8 * 20.48 cm excluding bolts, bus bars, lugs

So the clearance around the raw cells is about 5.28cm width, 2.2cm depth, 2.52cm height

Last edited:
You should see the size of my BMS, just the Alu extrusion is 4.65cm * 11.77cm * 23.7cm (with the 4AWG leads I'll need more like 33cm span)
View attachment 20983

Edit : 8s square pack should be 34.72 * 28.8 * 20.48 excluding bolts, bus bars, lugs
I thought you Aussies used MM instead of CM. Most of the videos I watch, they're either using MM or M. Don't see many using CM.

I'm using cm because the circumference of the tube clamps around the square pack is 1266.4mm

I'm using cm because the circumference of the tube clamps around the square pack is 1266.4mm
I just found it a little unusual, since most of the off road camping videos I've watched, they didn't seem to use CM measurements. I just figured down there they went from meters to MM and passed over using CM. Where some other parts of the Metric world do use it more often. I guess I thought it was customary that way. I have a Construction specific calculator and for metric, it's the same way. I can enter either M or MM, but it doesn't have a button for CM. But in Imperial, it has Yards, Feet, and Inches. Go figure. But it's made for measurements in the US. It is handy for direct conversions from one to the other without having to remember a formula.

In engineering (and construction) mm is the general option, sometimes meters. The cm is often used in day to day stuff outside of engineering. Since they're just factors of 10, it's not common to give them as separate options.

In engineering (and construction) mm is the general option, sometimes meters. The cm is often used in day to day stuff outside of engineering. Since they're just factors of 10, it's not common to give them as separate options.
The tape measure I have from a bicycle tool manufacturer is in Inches and CM. And working on bicycles CM was pretty common. All my straight rulers, from 6" to 48" long, uses MM as the alternate measurement. In the US Army, we went from MM to M to Klicks. Then I'm not sure that slang for KM is used outside the Military.

Generally, tape measures, rulers, etc. have both mm and cm in metric countries (and nothing else). However, when measuring with this in an engineering context one usually uses 10mm instead of 1cm when measuring something that is a cm long. But since this is really all the same, it just is a matter of convention. Therefor, it might well be that in the bicycle world cm is preferred.

Generally, tape measures, rulers, etc. have both mm and cm in metric countries (and nothing else). However, when measuring with this in an engineering context one usually uses 10mm instead of 1cm when measuring something that is a cm long. But since this is really all the same, it just is a matter of convention. Therefor, it might well be that in the bicycle world cm is preferred.
What do Y'all use as slang for Kilometer? Like I said, in the Military we used Klick. Haven't spent enough time where Metric is used generally to know.

I spent a little time in Europe where clicks seemed to be a fairly common abbreviation for kilometer. Of course, I was mostly close to US military bases.
I have used that ever since and no one has ever been confused by it.

Thankyou. I saw your post in the promotion thread after I posted the question here. I like it.

Due to my mammoth BMS and my intention to use fuse block terminals, Amy was able to arrange a larger box for me 420 x 345 x 270 mm

20200826_153955.jpg 5191.png 5191.jpg

That's great. I didn't know she could find something bigger. That would also allow more room for cell compression, and of course mammoth BMS's. I am beginning to think the boxes can be customized.... meaning with terminals as opposed to Anderson connectors and so on. Thanks for the update.

there is slang for KM this is "borne" , because on road you get a milestone (or a kilometerstone) every kilometer.
so you say " il live 5 borne far from here"
that is valid for french only, probably in german and UK english they have an other word.

there is slang for KM this is "borne" , because on road you get a milestone (or a kilometerstone) every kilometer.
so you say " il live 5 borne far from here"
that is valid for french only, probably in german and UK english they have an other word.

Milles Borne ;)

I used an ANL fuse for my first battery, which takes up a lot if space.

That integrated fuse/terminal is a nice solution - do they offer a similar non-fused negative terminal?

If you don't want a fuse you could perhaps use a truck battery terminal clamp.

That's great. I didn't know she could find something bigger. That would also allow more room for cell compression, and of course mammoth BMS's. I am beginning to think the boxes can be customized.... meaning with terminals as opposed to Anderson connectors and so on. Thanks for the update.

Yes completely customizable it seems. Here are the dimensions for mine, Anderson cables will come out of the top lid in my case. The larger size was for compression hose clamps, the BMS and the fuse terminals.20200831_104317.png

This box seems like a great thing. I hope you will post pics when you get it. Be a great way to expand systems and have the batteries easily movable. I may invest in one once I see it.

Back