diy solar

diy solar

Let's fight about aluminum wire!

The first home my wife and I owned was a mobile home. It had aluminum wiring feeding the thing and in the home too from what I can remember.

It burned to the ground taking all of our belongs with it.

I am not a fan of aluminum wiring :(

All of my homes since then have had copper and if anything wasn't copper I redid it with copper. I hope to not repeat past problems....

Oh and before anyone says it wasn't the aluminum wiring I had to replace the aforementioned wiring from corroding and losing connection in places at times. I am not going to argue its pros and cons since I'm not an expert in the field. I'm just stating why I feel the way I do and why I won't use the stuff EVER.

The first home my wife and I owned was a mobile home. It had aluminum wiring feeding the thing and in the home too from what I can remember.

It burned to the ground taking all of our belongs with it.

I am not a fan of aluminum wiring :(

All of my homes since then have had copper and if anything wasn't copper I redid it with copper. I hope to not repeat past problems....
Most mobile home wiring is push in outlets and switches without boxes...
Horrid setup.
Worst case for aluminum use for sure!

Not even in the range feed? Or to the hvac?
So, I was pretty sad with my wiring when I discovered that it looked to be aluminum. It turns out it is 1930's pretinned copper. I found this out after changing some outlets and switches.

The range line seems to be the same pre tinned copper tho I have not messed with that line/ scratched it to make a judgement since I do not use it (gas stove). In the breaker panel it looks like pre tinned copper. Certainly the same time frame as the other pre tinned circuits.

Hvac is totally redone THHN.

From a European perspective: what's aluminium wire?
On a serious note, it's used on power distribution, but I've never seen any aluminium wire used in residential in any of the EU countries I've been/lived in.

My 1942 Oakland house had copper knob & tube with fuses.
Updated to a fancy-schmancy Federal 100A breaker panel and copper in BX ca. 1960.
Has been trouble free, but of course I can't leave it alone. Almost done with my 200A upgrade to Square-D QO.

AFCI breakers only up to 20A in QO series, so I'll be installing those. At least higher amperage circuits are all point-to-point.

I would like all copper. QO breaker panels 125A and up have copper busbars/fingers for plug-on breakers (100A and below is aluminum), but neutral busbar and lugs are aluminum (tinned). Some option for some/all copper hardware is mentioned.

Oh, im in an attic right now working on the hvac in a pre 1920 house, and this stuff is all over the place... id love to see how aluminum wiri g looks in a hundred years...

Attachments

• 20240420_143348.jpg
    20240420_143348.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 25
Oh, im in an attic right now working on the hvac in a pre 1920 house, and this stuff is all over the place..
In the old part of Santa Fe nm Ive seen this with porcelain insulators screwed to vigas (round log roof beams) with braided cloth covered wire. This was done when electricity finally got here in the early 1900s. Wires went down to a fist sized rotary switch for the ONE light that was in the house. Crazy but cool.

Saw on the news last week that NV Energy is replacing stolen copper wires from street lights with aluminum wire. The say that aluminum has a much lower salvage value and that would deter copper thieves. Some areas near my house has had copper stolen from steet lights several times. And it takes months before they fix it. During that time, the streets remain dark. Using aluminum might be a good thing! NV Energy also talked about running the wires at the top of the light poles so that they're 40 feet up. It doesn't look pretty, but that'll definitely deter copper theives. Right now, almost all street lighting has wires underground. I think the thieves cut the wires at each end and just pull it through.

There is some aircraft wire that is silver plated aluminum. I assume that it is used because the Al portion is light and the frequency is often 400 hz, so the silver might be doing most of the load carrying. No personal experience with it.

As I once said in one of my videos, "Some people buy $8 coffee's and some buy copper".

Entrance cable, I might use aluminum. Anything else is copper. Even the plumbing in my house and shop are copper. The airlines in my shop are 1 inch copper.

This is the shop heating system, more copper. I love copper.

View attachment 210460

Yikes! What is all that? Looks like a mad scientist's laboratory! :LOL:

Reactions: Zwy
There is some aircraft wire that is silver plated aluminum. I assume that it is used because the Al portion is light and the frequency is often 400 hz, so the silver might be doing most of the load carrying. No personal experience with it.

Yeah I met an engineer from TE by chance and he was saying they use aluminum lugs over copper sometimes for weight savings. So I'm sure the same could be true for some of their wiring too.

Back