diy solar

diy solar

LG combo washer/dryer with heat pump/ventless -$2k.

Brucey

Solar Wizard
Have an LG TV and got an ad for their new washer dryer combo. Doesn't need a vent and runs off 120V. Not sure if it's a real deal but for those looking at heat pump dryers potentially another option?

That is a nice looking unit at a great price but I just don't trust LG.
But do we trust the GE version more?

Have an LG TV and got an ad for their new washer dryer combo. Doesn't need a vent and runs off 120V. Not sure if it's a real deal but for those looking at heat pump dryers potentially another option?

I'd prefer a standalone ventless heat pump dryer than a combo unit.

I've asked in stores about heat pump dryers and get a blank stare. Most units are smaller in size, I need something larger. This Samsung continues to drop in price and is larger, just hard to get.

I'm not yet at the point of buying a heat pump dryer. Mostly because we're a family of 4 and I don't want to run 20 tiny loads a week.

But I will share my recent appliance purchasing experiences.
7 years ago we purchased our first house and didn't have time to shop for used appliances so we purchased new with the extended warranties. Seems like a dumb decision, right?

Well, the fridge compressor failed. Warranty company couldn't get anyone out here within a reasonable time. So they gave up and refunded us the full purchase price + tax + cost of the extended warranty. One call and I had a new compressor installed the next morning.

The washing machine failed. This one was slightly more frustrating. It took about a month for the repair tech to basically give up and say it needed a new harness. This totaled out the washer as far as the warranty company was concerned. They refunded the full purchase price + tax + cost of the warranty. I had already looked at it and suspected the motor controller has failed. 2 days and a $150 part later the washer was fixed.

The dried had a failed bearing that I should have called in, but it happened right after the washer fiasco, so I didn't want to go through that again and just fixed it.

In the end, I paid for a clothes drier and got a fridge, washer, and drier. All are still going, it's only been 8 years, but they're doing alright.

So, when I do buy a heat pump dryer, I'm not too concerned about parts availability.
I'll be saying thank you very much, yes I'll take the longest warranty you'll sell me. $100 well spent. Just don't loose the paperwork!

I'm not yet at the point of buying a heat pump dryer. Mostly because we're a family of 4 and I don't want to run 20 tiny loads a week.

But I will share my recent appliance purchasing experiences.
7 years ago we purchased our first house and didn't have time to shop for used appliances so we purchased new with the extended warranties. Seems like a dumb decision, right?

Well, the fridge compressor failed. Warranty company couldn't get anyone out here within a reasonable time. So they gave up and refunded us the full purchase price + tax + cost of the extended warranty. One call and I had a new compressor installed the next morning.

The washing machine failed. This one was slightly more frustrating. It took about a month for the repair tech to basically give up and say it needed a new harness. This totaled out the washer as far as the warranty company was concerned. They refunded the full purchase price + tax + cost of the warranty. I had already looked at it and suspected the motor controller has failed. 2 days and a $150 part later the washer was fixed.

The dried had a failed bearing that I should have called in, but it happened right after the washer fiasco, so I didn't want to go through that again and just fixed it.

In the end, I paid for a clothes drier and got a fridge, washer, and drier. All are still going, it's only been 8 years, but they're doing alright.

So, when I do buy a heat pump dryer, I'm not too concerned about parts availability.
I'll be saying thank you very much, yes I'll take the longest warranty you'll sell me. $100 well spent. Just don't loose the paperwork!
Heat pump Dryers are all not tiny. The GE all in one is full large capacity.

Heat pump Dryers are all not tiny. The GE all in one is full large capacity.
? I've been searching on and off and haven't come across much.
Link?
I saw the LG one is full sized, but it's $2k
And there's the all in one for a similar price

That is very interesting…hot side of the heat pump to dry the clothes…cold side of the heat pump to condense the moisture? Wonder how the cold coil will handle the lint buildup. Another benefit is not pumping the house conditioned air outside. Huge for the humid south.

Samsung and LG are at the bottom of my appliance list, they are trying harder than ever to persuade people that they have the best reliability of all where as a simple interwebs search will show you that the reliability is not always that great and service/parts availability are terrible.

Samsung and LG are at the bottom of my appliance list, they are trying harder than ever to persuade people that they have the best reliability of all where as a simple interwebs search will show you that the reliability is not always that great and service/parts availability are terrible.
The Samsung I linked has had all positive reviews, that is the reason I was interested in it besides the large size. It is a hybrid, it does have a small heating element in addition to the heat pump which can make a huge different in drying time.

The last few years one could read bad reviews all the time about heat pump dryers, there is no doubt about that. I think we are starting to see where the bugs and failures are worked out on some models/brands.

That is very interesting…hot side of the heat pump to dry the clothes…cold side of the heat pump to condense the moisture?
Pretty much, yes
Wonder how the cold coil will handle the lint buildup
I'm guessing "not well," but from what I can tell the lint trap is significantly improved plus there was a secondary filter and access to clean the condenser on the one I looked at.
. Another benefit is not pumping the house conditioned air outside. Huge for the humid south.

Miele has one. I have been using mine for about a year and it works great. It is pricey though, I bought the base model.

Back