diy solar

diy solar

Liitokala strikes again

They did discharge up to 3.1. Now they're having a bad time staying balanced during charge:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230708-113737.png
    Screenshot_20230708-113737.png
    318.2 KB · Views: 32
that's a lusciously balanced battery.
I have to admit I had to look in the dictionary (non-native English speaker here).

Anyway, thank you all for the feedback. I had almost given up hope that the battery will be of any use.

Last edited:
After settling, the voltage was about 3.350 V on each cell. At that point I "un-parallelled" the cells and started to build the battery but the BMS was connected a week later due to lack of time.
Coming in late to this conversation... But this is the source of the original balance problem. I've seen the recommendation elsewhere on the forum occasionally to leave cells attached after reaching 3.65V (or whatever) during top balance, and it's a bad idea.
Top balance to your desired voltage, then disconnect the cells.
Here is why: Your cells don't all have identical characteristics in terms of charge and discharge curves or resting voltages. So let's say you top balanced to 3.65V and got all cells to 100% SOC. Now if you leave them connected and remove the charge current, all the cells want to 'settle' to their resting voltage, but if that's not the same voltage (and it isn't!) then there will be some current flow. For example, if cell 1 wants to settle to 3.43, and cell 2 wants to settle to 3.41, one of them can't do that if they remain connected in parallel because you're forcing them to the same voltage. So cell 1 will bleed some current in to cell 2 until they're both at the same 'resting' voltage, but then they're no longer at the same SOC. With very well-matched cells this might be a small difference, but many (most?) of us don't have such perfect cells.
@FilterGuy's tutorial covers this:
1689184748797.png

Anyway, happy to see that you've got those cells back in balance and your battery seems to be working well!

Back