diy solar

diy solar

link to proper studs and nuts for eve cells?

I suspect that surface area does matter. I thought about figuring out the surface contact area for the bolt, when fully inserted, but I need to get some actual work done so I can pay the bills (for all my solar components!).

I started a new thread about the current flow question. It seems there is interest in this, but it may be buggering up the main discussion.

How does the tensile strength of aluminum compare to SS?

Sorry, just saw this post today. From the blog post "Yield Strength in Exhaust Tubing, Aluminum vs Stainless Steel":

Considering the low density of 6061-T6 aluminum (0.098 lb/in^3) compared with 304 stainless steel (0.290 lb/in^3), pound for pound it is several times stronger than stainless steel – at least at room temperature. The specific strength of a material is defined as the strength of the material divided by the density. The specific strength is 460,000 lb-in/lb (45,000/.098) for 6061-T6 and 120,700 lb-in/lb for 304SS. Aluminum is nearly 4 times as strong as 304ss at room temperature.

My take is that 6061 is better than stainless steel for our battery connections, assuming you don't heat it up. It won't have corrosion problems and has better conductivity.

Taking the plunge, I just ordered M6x15 and M6x20 aluminum hex head bolts. I didn't like the length of the (assumed) stainless steel bolts that came with my cells. I was going to replace them anyhow, so I figured I might as well go with aluminum.

I've posted this before, but it's worth seeing again. The chart is likely referring to pure aluminum, or at the very least, an alloy that may be a better conductor than 6061.

Conductivity of Metal Chart.png

Here is a more impressive chart directly comparing "6061-T6 Aluminum vs. AISI 416Se Stainless Steel", from the MakeItFrom website. 6061 is on top, stainless steel on the bottom. There are many more comparisons on that website. Their tensile strength comparison contradicts the one quoted above, but the two are close enough that I'm OK with 6061.
T6061_vs_SS.JPG

CAVEAT: I don't know enough to find a truly authoritative source. So I'm going with the theme, "If it's on the Internet, it must be true." :)

I did the estimate for this but didn’t write it down. If you aren’t interested in nerding out now is the time to stop reading.

it turns out there is plenty of contact surface to carry current through stud and nut, but SS has 1/10 the conductivity of copper and the current needs to travel about 6mm from the middle of stud to middle of nut in a 100mm2 conductor. So imagine a 10mm2 conductor.

LF280 terminals have 200mm2 of contact surface and current travels 1mm into my lug. So, the stud path has 6 times the distance and 1/20 the conductivity, ohm says a little less than 1% of current goes through stud. All copper connectors would raise that to around 10%. That would reduce voltage drop at terminal from nearly nothing to ~90% of nearly nothing.

Thanks that confirms my choice of SS studs but there are good reasons for other options. I take issue with the term "proper" in the title. Appropriate is softer but it is really a personal choice based on how one wants to approach the issue. This was never an issue on EV conversion forums because vibration was the biggest driver of connector stability.

Last edited:
No, I don’t think that SS is less spark prone. Higher resistance doesn’t mean high resistance. A dead short across lifepo cells will instantly melt stainless. Same for inverter precharging - maybe the spark is less likely to scar the conductor but it will still spark. A resistor seems to be needed to stop that.

I wasn't planning to try it. But I thought since stainless is less conductive it might not cause as much molten metal.
I'm still trying to come up with a good looking cover for my battery terminals.

I wasn't planning to try it. But I thought since stainless is less conductive it might not cause as much molten metal.
I'm still trying to come up with a good looking cover for my battery terminals.
I'm going to use kapton tape, but there are vendors on Alibaba that can sell you busbar end covers, or bubar whole covers
1600690896971.jpg1600690906840.jpg

Plexiglass could be good. It would probably need a frame. Or maybe hinges.
This would probably work well-
HTB1Era3d3mTBuNjy1Xbq6yMrVXa1.jpg

My pack is vertical and one of the advantages of studs was that at four places in my pack I added threaded couplings and attached the plexi to the studs with knobs. The warning sign is from my BMS but I thought it would impress the inspector.

Attachments

• 20200924_161252.jpg
    20200924_161252.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 81
I used 20mm length M6-1.0 set screws with my 3/16" think copper bus bars. With 2 stacked bus bars, I used a 30mm. 25mm probably would have been fine. 20mm was to short to connect any sort of lug on top of the bus bar.

The picture shows the insulated 10mm wrench that I picked up for this job. Electrical tape around any wrench would accomplish the same thing. I don't recommend using a non-insulated wrench as it is very easy to have one slip and arc across + and -.

View attachment 23056

I ordered the same insulated 10mm wrench from Alibaba, washers, grub screws, DIN 6923 hex flange nuts and used my Bondus hex T handle to hold the grub screws 1/4 turn off the bottom.

My crimped and soldered balance lead Y lugs don't fit completely around the grub screws with the washers I've chosen, I might downsize to smaller washers later.

Amy is sending me wider rectangular busbars, once they arrive I'll heat shrink and kapton tape my terminals.

20201012_195055.jpg20201012_192725.jpg

I ordered the same insulated 10mm wrench from Alibaba, washers, grub screws, DIN 6923 hex flange nuts and used my Bondus hex T handle to hold the grub screws 1/4 turn off the bottom.
Thanks for posting the Amazon links. I ordered the same grub screws and nuts as you did. I also ordered some blue Loctite for the grub screws. They are scheduled to be delivered today. I am going to use whatever hardware comes with the cells to balance them to make sure all is well before using the grub screws.

I noticed you have your MRBF fuse directly mounted to the cell. Do you intend to leave it there? I am planning on doing the same if you don't see a problem with it. I know there has been discussion about having the fuse directly mounted to the cell but in my case I don't think it will be a problem since my cells will remain stationary.

My 8 cells are scheduled to be delivered Friday. So I need to get moving on my build although I will be taking it slow. Thanks.

Thanks for posting the Amazon links. I ordered the same grub screws and nuts as you did. I also ordered some blue Loctite for the grub screws. They are scheduled to be delivered today. I am going to use whatever hardware comes with the cells to balance them to make sure all is well before using the grub screws.

I noticed you have your MRBF fuse directly mounted to the cell. Do you intend to leave it there? I am planning on doing the same if you don't see a problem with it. I know there has been discussion about having the fuse directly mounted to the cell but in my case I don't think it will be a problem since my cells will remain stationary.

My 8 cells are scheduled to be delivered Friday. So I need to get moving on my build although I will be taking it slow. Thanks.
I think I read somewhere about being careful not to put too much stress on the stud when mounting the terminal fuse blocks. Since mine will use a big cable I plan to attach the cable to something so it will never put stress on that terminal. I think it might be good to put a non conductive spacer under the unsupported part of the fuse block too. I bet some people make up some kind of mount for extra support so the cell terminal screw doesn't have to hold everything.

I think I read somewhere about being careful not to put too much stress on the stud when mounting the terminal fuse blocks. Since mine will use a big cable I plan to attach the cable to something so it will never put stress on that terminal. I think it might be good to put a non conductive spacer under the unsupported part of the fuse block too. I bet some people make up some kind of mount for extra support so the cell terminal screw doesn't have to hold everything.
Thanks, those are good ideas. Since I am leaning towards a 24 volt system as opposed to a 12 volt system my cables will not be too large but I will support them.....good idea. I might be able to get by with 4 AWG but I haven't even decided on an inverter yet. Using the online calculators I could get a 2000 watt 24 volt inverter and 4 AWG would be ok up to 4 feet. I don't really need a 2000 watt inverter. Anyways got to get the pack built first. Then I will decide on an inverter.

Back