diy solar

diy solar

Local inspector shot me down

I read the NEC 2023 code book is coming out in November. How long do states usually take to adopt new codes? My state currently uses 2020 code.

Outback and Schneider make UL listed equipment. Batteries depend on whether NEC 2020 has been implemented. The only advice about passing inspections is follow the code.
The local installer said batteries don’t need to be UL here, but when I looked at the website, it shows my state as having adopted NEC 2020.

?

How long do states usually take to adopt new codes?
It depends. In California, they are just adopting NEC2020 as of Jan 2023 according to the lookup posted earlier. Then it is up to each county, city or other body having jurisdiction to adopt it in whole or amend some provisions for their jurisdiction.

if the inspector requires UL listing for batteries, you won't have many affordable options. I would design and get the system approved as a "grid assist" without batteries and add them after.
This appears to be the most likely solution.

Well, I've been really excited about building an off grid system to power my 32x40 shop and bonus room. Lights, TV, outlet, fridge, mini split, and EV charger. Had it all planned out. (Will Prowse EG4 6500EX split phase system with EG4 batteries and 10kw of panels) Full order quoted and ready to ship. I even called my local utility and they said "We don't care what you do as long as you don't touch our grid".

I had one panel installer saying no permits needed since it's off grid and the other installer saying anything on a building has to be permitted. Well, I called the inspections office and they shot me down. Not only do I have to pay for multiple permits but they require engineering on rooftop solar for systems over 3.5lbs per sq ft.

So, it appears I'm left with only 3 choices which add somewhere between 50 and 100% to the cost of the system.

SolarEdge (looks good on paper until you have to use their super expensive lame ass buggy battery and have to deal with recalls and failures)

Enphase (super expensive when you setup off grid and add the various extra boxes required)

Sol Ark (3 times what other inverters cost, imbalance shut downs)

Anybody have any suggestions on a cheaper way to skin a cat and pass inspections???
they sure about the load? I had 18 panels at 50lbs each, mounting hardware another 135ish lbs total 1036 lbs over 396 sq ft giving me 2.6 psf

they sure about the load? I had 18 panels at 50lbs each, mounting hardware another 135ish lbs total 1036 lbs over 396 sq ft giving me 2.6 psf
If it doesn’t exceed 3.5, no engineer needed. Just building and electrical

I would get the Sol-Ark12K because the price difference between that and the 8K is not that different.
You can check out ARK batteries as they will pass inspection and are cheaper than Fortress Power but not by much.
You will need a rapid shutdown system also which the Sol-Ark handles using Tigo rapid shutdown modules.

It is 2020, but only for commercial permitting.

Residential has a blockade on leaving the 2017 code until 2025. Some state law embargo or something...

Where do I find that info? I’m in MN and that site shows 2020, but maybe it is the same as NC? I’m hoping as I already bought batteries that a local installer said will be fine without UL. But maybe he has old information?

Edit: Hmm, reading up more. Looks like they include battery storage now here.

Last edited:
ground mount isn't an option due to shading and inspector says a permit would be required anyway so the only cost savings would be engineering. Pitt County, NC has been on a mission to stick it to people that live here. Our real estate property taxes have increased 40% in the last two years and my 2016 Ram truck with 140k miles is now valued at nearly what I paid for it new. We have some of the worst net metering policies in the state and the inspectors have a habit of riding around looking for unpermitted building work, boats, animals, cars, etc so they can generate more revenue.
It’s not Just Pitt county. It’s every county in NC.
Almost time to move to Florida.

Back