diy solar

diy solar

Main or sub panel

Drew888

I often read or see vids where people refer to their offgrid systems AC panel as a sub-panel. If there is only one AC breaker panel being fed by an inverter is this not wired as a main panel and not a sub?

It depends on how everything is wired.
If a panel is fed by another panel at any time, it's a sub panel.

The difference between a sub panel and a main panel can be seen in the neutral and ground wires.

Main panels tie all neutral and grounds together and then bond that grouping to an earth ground rod.

Sub panels must keep neutral and ground wires separate and run them back to the main panel separately.

If your off-grid system is somehow tied back to your main panel, then its a sub panel. But if its a stand alone system with no electrical connection to the main panel, then it could be referred to as a 2nd main panel.

Only one standalone panel. So, if it has the N/G bond it would be considered the main and a sub should have a separated ground and neutral. Should every downstream device/component have the neutral and ground separate?

Only one standalone panel. So, if it has the N/G bond it would be considered the main and a sub should have a separated ground and neutral. Should every downstream device/component have the neutral and ground separate?
YES.

So my dilemma is the inverter is internally bonded. The neutral, ground wire and external ground lug are all connected. If wiring to a panel should the ground wire go to the neutral/ground bus in the panel and not use the external ground lug? Or with this inverter do I have to set up the panel as a sub?

After reading about 20 pages from a few different threads I have come to the conclusion that the inverter is internally bonded and has relays that will open when an AC input is connected. This seems better for a mobile system.

My application is a hobby shed and this might not be ideal. The unit is a Jupiter 3kw. Is it less than ideal using this with a Square D panel set up a sub panel instead of as a main? If its not ideal any recommendations would be appreciated for an inverter in the 1k-3kw that is not internally bonded with AC out terminals.

4 x Renogy 100w panels
Epever BN series MPPT 40w charge controller
12v Jupiter 3000w inverter
12v 200ah lipo battery

Back