diy solar

diy solar

Making a box from cement board

While looking for some other types of designs I came across these.
1673027803078.png
High side is 75 inches, low is 61 inches. 48 inch width, 40 depth. Can frame the outside and create an inner frame with the cement board on the inside. Sloped roof can hold more solar if I so choose. $60 for the frame. Supposedly it is 3/4 inch square tubing. Thoughts?

Wanting something that is fire retardant, and insulated to maintain temps better
If you read the product data hardiboard states that it is not suitable for fire resistant uses.
do make structural metal studs that are load bearing but I imagine they are a little pricey.
Steel studs are not that expensive on the grand scale of things imho.

Even the ‘light’ commercial studs if laterally braced with pieces of the stud channel for such a small structure as what you are describing would be strong enough to accept some weight. Those are like 26 or 29 gage or something.
In commercial applications doubled 5/8” sheetrock is often hung on 20ga steel studs and supports a few hundred pounds of light fixtures and hvac louvres etc in the ceilings with vertical stud wall systems supporting so… that and rockwool as suggested seems a good idea under 5/8MR. Horizontal sections of 20ga screwed to the walls or located in stud channel could act as shelving support.
While looking for some other types of designs I came across these.
$60 for the frame. Supposedly it is 3/4 inch square tubing. Thoughts?
That’s super inexpensive
I’d be inclined to send the hardiboard to Facebook marketplace or Craigslist and use exterior drywall and a pail of synthetic stucco instead. Insulation is not accomplished well with 3/4” but you could tight fit 3/4” foil faced and sheetrock the interior afterwards

If you read the product data hardiboard states that it is not suitable for fire resistant uses.

Steel studs are not that expensive on the grand scale of things imho.

Even the ‘light’ commercial studs if laterally braced with pieces of the stud channel for such a small structure as what you are describing would be strong enough to accept some weight. Those are like 26 or 29 gage or something.
In commercial applications doubled 5/8” sheetrock is often hung on 20ga steel studs and supports a few hundred pounds of light fixtures and hvac louvres etc in the ceilings with vertical stud wall systems supporting so… that and rockwool as suggested seems a good idea under 5/8MR. Horizontal sections of 20ga screwed to the walls or located in stud channel could act as shelving support.

That’s super inexpensive
I’d be inclined to send the hardiboard to Facebook marketplace or Craigslist and use exterior drywall and a pail of synthetic stucco instead. Insulation is not accomplished well with 3/4” but you could tight fit 3/4” foil faced and sheetrock the interior afterwards

I see we both worked in commercial construction. Retired after 35 years in a Philly trade union.

I assume most people have not worked with metal studs and probably will try to source them at home depot. So the selection is as limited as there experience with metal studs.

It sounds like the OP wants to make an insulated battery box inside of a plastic shed due to heat build up in those hot AZ summers.

probably will try to source them at home depot
Ya, stock is probably not consistent or dependable at HD.
In BTV Vermont they had 20ga stocked and I made an assumption that was normal. Buuuuuttt then again it’s Home Depot and they don’t know what stuff is. In the northeast H,Depot calls nelma S-P-F stamped spruce studs “white wood” and 1/2” douglas fir plywood is differentiated as ‘western pine’ I guess because their other plywood is actually ‘southern pine.’

I see we both worked in commercial construction. Retired after 35 years in a Philly trade union.

I assume most people have not worked with metal studs and probably will try to source them at home depot. So the selection is as limited as there experience with metal studs.

It sounds like the OP wants to make an insulated battery box inside of a plastic shed due to heat build up in those hot AZ summers.
I want out of the plastic box. I have the box covered currently on a enclosed patio on my porch. I am looking to move it outside to get it away from the house, then insulate it for heat while also helping to keep the flame possibilities down.

I want out of the plastic box. I have the box covered currently on a enclosed patio on my porch. I am looking to move it outside to get it away from the house, then insulate it for heat while also helping to keep the flame possibilities down.

Maybe a core insulated concrete block structure with some good ventilation as a cheap solution. Add a small solar powered fan to exhaust heat build up and keep the air moving.

Back