diy solar

diy solar

Making a box from cement board

Any name you wish

I have 4 3ft by 5ft hardi boards I want to make into an enclosure. I know I need some additional structure and insulation as this sits outside on a concrete pad in AZ. I have room to go 3ft wide by 5 ft tall. Will be housing the batteries, inverter, and SCC.

Are you looking the structure, period? Or are you wanting it to be fireproof? 2x4 stock is easy and various ways to join it together. Angle iron is harder but will not catch fire. Insulation, and possibly cooling, are another thing.

Best to plan for the structure, the siding, water resistance (rain and flood), the insulation, access, weight bearing capacity of the walls, security, access, fire resistance, and cooling all at once before you buy anything else. It’s a medium big project. All the best.

Materials aren't really the question. I am having issue visualizing it better to see how I want to make it. Any examples to follow?
With these 3 tools you can build just about anything out of metal studs

A pair of tin snips
A screw gun
Locking C Clamp

If you just want to build a box

ee0d0c34a3270c47e7b9cb530df16ec3.jpg

If you want to frame the inside walls of your plastic shed

metal-stud-framing-5.jpg

Just an FYI:

The metal studs in the pics I posted are NOT load bearing.

They do make structural metal studs that are load bearing but I imagine they are a little pricey.

We can't really hold your hand on this.
Then don't. I am looking for examples, things that worked well and didn't. I am seeking information from people with experiences on what they have done. I know generally what I am looking for, but hope to further expand my horizons from people who are willing to share their thoughts or experiences on projects they did. Feel free to share if you have any.

It does sound like a good idea. Area I have to work with is 2 foot deep so maybe the one Will recommended for a battery shelf has a slightly smaller version? May be overkill for my setup as well.

I'm stacking 2 Trophy 220ah batteries vertically. 60" high x 20" length x 10" wide. So I'm fitting 440ah of 48v batteries in a 20" x 10" footprint. Taking advantage of height and the ability to use the batteries in the vertical position.

If you want to get fancy, a window unit would keep it cool. Or a 12 volt ice box with lid open.

Funny that I’m doing the same analysis for my little power house. but space not an issue. All roads keep leading me to a new shipping container.

Funny that I’m doing the same analysis for my little power house. but space not an issue. All roads keep leading me to a new shipping container.
My neighbor has a mini shipping container thingy that she got when she bought the house. If she ever gets rid of it, I have dibs. I hate waiting though.

There are videos on youtube where people test the cement board secured with wood studs. The wood studs are not affected because the cement board shields them.

If space isn't an issue I'm using the large Dewalt shelf unit:
IMG_0047.jpeg
I cut polycarbonate sheets that fit perfectly over the wire shelves and cement board also cut to fit nicely underneath the shelf to prevent any "accidents" from affecting cells on shelf above it. The bottom and top shelves have 2" thick rock wool underneath the shelves for insulation. I'm somewhat enclosing this shelving unit on 3 sides with plywood and then have rock wool up against the plywood for insulation, safety, and fire protection.

Back