diy solar

diy solar

New All in One: MPP LVX6048WP (UL certified)

The inverter is currently not able to do limiting with Cts even though it has ports for Cts... not that they are having problems selling them but I’m sure a lot of people only have small critical loads panels and would need limiting so the inverter can feed to the main panels loads.. then less inverters and batteries would be needed to handle the surges and rare high loads.
I will have to wait to purchase until the inverter can do what it is supposed to do
Watch Ians video. A firmware update is coming.

I got the email, but was way too late to the party...
Even though I got one, I feel bad for those on the list who didn't. I was bummed when I missed out even though I was on the list. Thank goodness went back and refreshed. Sucks that the list was completely deleted, now you can only hope you're on top of the new list.

Noob here... I had a few general questions about this unit if you all don't mind. Thanks!

1) So when grid tied it will automatically disconnect from the main if it senses an outage through the breaker its connected to in the main panel? Or is there a CT sensor that needs to be used?
2) The max it will supply to the AC input (mains) is 6kW/30A and AC output (load) is 6kW/25A, which is kinda low. But would be doubled (60A/50A) if two units were placed in a parallel configuration? Would just need two double pole breakers in each panel.
3) If the inverter is OFF/faults, then the critical load/AC out is not going to be fed at all? I would need to install a transfer switch/bypass to be able to feed the critical loads?

Trying to soak up all the information I can on a DIY grid tied install but some things I'm not entirely clear on. Thanks again for your help.

Noob here... I had a few general questions about this unit if you all don't mind. Thanks!

1) So when grid tied it will automatically disconnect from the main if it senses an outage through the breaker its connected to in the main panel? Or is there a CT sensor that needs to be used?
2) The max it will supply to the AC input (mains) is 6kW/30A and AC output (load) is 6kW/25A, which is kinda low. But would be doubled (60A/50A) if two units were placed in a parallel configuration? Would just need two double pole breakers in each panel.
3) If the inverter is OFF/faults, then the critical load/AC out is not going to be fed at all? I would need to install a transfer switch/bypass to be able to feed the critical loads?

Trying to soak up all the information I can on a DIY grid tied install but some things I'm not entirely clear on. Thanks again for your help.
Think of this unit have two inputs and two outputs, with three connection points.

Grid Input/Output, Generator Input, and AC Loads output.

If there is no Grid detected, it doesn't back-feed that side of the (LINE)AC input/output. The (LOAD) AC where your critical loads are kept working unaffected.

Anyone have any idea when there will be firmware upgrades to enable zero export with Cts?

Anyone have any idea when there will be firmware upgrades to enable zero export with Cts?
Will never happen. This unit will never be able to support a grid zero / grid assist based on measuring current like the Sol-Ark or Outback radian. It is a different product that does not offer that feature.

Will never happen. This unit will never be able to support a grid zero / grid assist based on measuring current like the Sol-Ark or Outback radian. It is a different product that does not offer that feature.

The WP inverter has ports for external CTs. There’s picture of it on this thread. Ian said he asked mpp and it’s going to be in a future update. The Radian can only pull grid power thru itself and then into the critical loads panel. The Radian does not have a bidirectional AC input/output. The Radians Cts are integrated. Meaning it can only sense the loads that are in the critical loads panel. The Outback Skybox can do grid zero with external CTs on the homes mains wires

Last edited:
Now that a few people have gotten their hands on one, has anyone messed with the AC coupling ability of this unit? My current setup is 9.72kW with Enphase micro inverters which is tied to my main panel. I plan on installing a critical loads panel that will be tied to the output of this inverter, along with 20kWhs of battery and 4.7kW of PV separate from my rooftop system. I live in Florida and as such every couple of years we get a storm that knocks the power out for days to weeks. I was thinking in those rare occurrences I could rewire the output of this inverter to my main panel (after turning off the main breaker, of course) so it could AC couple my rooftop system, or at least maybe a quarter to half of it which would allow me to run central HVAC at least while the sun is up or give me a boost to keep fridges and fans going in the cloudy 1-2 days after a storm.

Please explain exactly how it is different. I find it odd that CT connections were furnished, and that the inverter has two way power flow, and that power flow in the ACIN direction can not be modulated to zero export based on CT current.

Please explain exactly how it is different. I find it odd that CT connections were furnished, and that the inverter has two way power flow, and that power flow in the ACIN direction can not be modulated to zero export based on CT current.
From what I was told (via the emails I shared above) this inverter will in the future be able to utilize Cts to do zero export. I don’t understand what’s taking them so long

From what I was told (via the emails I shared above) this inverter will in the future be able to utilize Cts to do zero export. I don’t understand what’s taking them so long
@Cheap 4-life the Schneider Conext XW Pro does what you are looking for. I built a system with its predecessor the Conext XW+ six years ago and coupled it with an SMA Sunny Boy. The Conext XW+ boosts power to the load when PV is insufficient, and it has a great surge capability. If you haven't looked at that one you should take a look. It is more expensive than the Chinese brands though, but it is built well. Its been running 24/7 for nearly 6 years now without a hiccup and has gone through several power outages. Like you I have been waiting for the Chinese sourced inverters to support this feature and was hoping the new LVX6048WP model would. They advertise that this model is a new generation of inverter, but it doesn't look like it to me. Sure seems like they don't understand the US market for split phase, or the need for inverters to power loads through their inputs. I can't run my whole house through an inverter. I need it to watch and assist when necessary. I'm not concerned about critical loads, I care about my primary load. I have contacted most of the manufacturers I have been able to find, and most of their representatives don't even know what split phase is. They either continue to offer 240V single phase or start offering 3-phase. When I finally get an engineer, they simply say we don't make that. It appears that only a few do. If you find another brand let me know. Its been 6 years of waiting.

@Cheap 4-life the Schneider Conext XW Pro does what you are looking for. I built a system with its predecessor the Conext XW+ six years ago and coupled it with an SMA Sunny Boy. The Conext XW+ boosts power to the load when PV is insufficient, and it has a great surge capability. If you haven't looked at that one you should take a look. It is more expensive than the Chinese brands though, but it is built well. Its been running 24/7 for nearly 6 years now without a hiccup and has gone through several power outages. Like you I have been waiting for the Chinese sourced inverters to support this feature and was hoping the new LVX6048WP model would. They advertise that this model is a new generation of inverter, but it doesn't look like it to me. Sure seems like they don't understand the US market for split phase, or the need for inverters to power loads through their inputs. I can't run my whole house through an inverter. I need it to watch and assist when necessary. I'm not concerned about critical loads, I care about my primary load. I have contacted most of the manufacturers I have been able to find, and most of their representatives don't even know what split phase is. They either continue to offer 240V single phase or start offering 3-phase. When I finally get an engineer, they simply say we don't make that. It appears that only a few do. If you find another brand let me know. Its been 6 years of waiting.
Does the Schneider xw+ use Cts to monitor the homes power usage and to prevent backfeeding past the meter when in grid tie mode? Even with the xw pro a separate device called a wattnode is needed to achieve zero export.
I agree, more inverters need to be built with bi-directional AC inputs to allow grid tie power to exit the inverters directly to the main panel and of course also have Cts for zero export. The inverters also need to be able to send inverted battery power directly to the main panel via the bidirectional AC input. Most people do not need a large critical loads panel for the occasional power outage.
Outback and SolArk can do all that but are expensive. However from what I’m reading growatt has inverters that can use a 48v battery and can use Cts to do zero export. I’m still looking into how exactly they are doing this, like if it is all through the critical loads panel (not having a bidirectional AC input) which would be a deal breaker for me..

Last edited:
Has anyone questioned why the LVX6048WP does not have a substantial AC OUT surge rating? First is Nominal Output at 25A/phase, then inrush at 30A/phase for 20 ms, then 90A at 1 ms. 30/25=125% overload for 20 ms. This seems like a high frequency rating, not a low frequency rating. I do not understand.

It is definitely a high frequency inverter. People have asked. Look at its advertised efficiency. They are all moving to high frequency in order to improve efficiency. They still weigh a 100 pounds but they don't increase surge loads like a low frequency does, and they really aren't that efficient. I have been waiting for the LVX6048WP since January. I waived the first round because I couldn't get enough info on it. I was hoping it would be a new revolutionary design but it isn't. Its just an over priced high frequency design on an old architecture and it is currently way over priced. Its older brother the LVX6048 cost $1500 and SunGoldPower is selling their clone which is absolutely identical for $1345. I bought one of those a month ago. They are all clones including MPPSolar. All made by Voltronic Power. This new thing costs $2200. Its a big joke and ripoff. Almost a grand more than the old model which does have good surge capability. Better off saving and buying a non China brand. By the way because of its jacked up price I have talked with SunGoldPower and they are releasing a new model for the LVX6048WP like they did for the MPPSolar LVX6048. It comes out in August, and won't be $2200. So I am waiting either for Ian to lower his price, or I am will consider buying the SunGoldPower version. It will probably be a little better. There are also several other vendors out there in China that produce split-phase that no one is talking about. I don't understand that. I am looking at some 8, 10, and 12 kW inverters under $2000. So I would have to really want a 6kW LVX6048WP for $2200.

Has anyone questioned why the LVX6048WP does not have a substantial AC OUT surge rating? First is Nominal Output at 25A/phase, then inrush at 30A/phase for 20 ms, then 90A at 1 ms. 30/25=125% overload for 20 ms. This seems like a high frequency rating, not a low frequency rating. I do not understand.
The WP version is high frequency. Also
Wow that's the worst surge rating I've seen. You'd think that it could handle the typical 200% for 5 seconds that the other high frequency MPP Solar AIOs can do.

Back