diy solar

diy solar

New offgrid System

eod1991

Hello everyone, I recently finished (almost) my install. I did a lot or research and watched a lot of YouTube. This was my first time installing solar equipment. I have a fairly decent understanding of electrical but I thought it best to post my setup in this thread
For the more seasoned individuals.

Ps. The exposed lines in the LB are not connected to anything. They are a future grid tie connection when they will let me export.

Completely off grid system

40x blue sun 460W bifacial panels
2x EG4 18Kpv inverters in parallel
6x EG4 48v 14.4Kw power pro batteries
600V EMP Shield
15kw Diesel Generator

Attachments

• IMG_6954.jpeg
    IMG_6954.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_6953.jpeg
    IMG_6953.jpeg
    590.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6686.jpeg
    IMG_6686.jpeg
    466.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6689.jpeg
    IMG_6689.jpeg
    503.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6678.jpeg
    IMG_6678.jpeg
    591.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6675.jpeg
    IMG_6675.jpeg
    591.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6679.jpeg
    IMG_6679.jpeg
    577.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6676.jpeg
    IMG_6676.jpeg
    618.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6680.jpeg
    IMG_6680.jpeg
    998.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6677.jpeg
    IMG_6677.jpeg
    932.1 KB · Views: 68
Hello everyone, I recently finished (almost) my install. I did a lot or research and watched a lot of YouTube. This was my first time installing solar equipment. I have a fairly decent understanding of electrical but I thought it best to post my setup in this thread

Ps. The exposed lines in the LB are not connected to anything. They are a future grid tie connection when they will let me export.

600V EMP Shield
15kw Diesel Generator
Nicely done, i will be setting up almost the exact equipment as you did in February. 2-18kpv, 4-powerpro with 60-400w panels. that will also be my first solar install, been consuming this forum and youtube, wish me luck

Nicely done, i will be setting up almost the exact equipment as you did in February. 2-18kpv, 4-powerpro with 60-400w panels. that will also be my first solar install, been consuming this forum and youtube, wish me luck
It was a fun and rewarding project! I’m sure you will enjoy it!

by the way how long did it take?
About 2 weeks for the solar array and panels and about 2 weeks for the electrics/ trenching. If I could go back in time I would use top mount brackets for the panels. I drilled every hole and bolted them
On. This took atleast 2 extra days of effort.

Where did you get all the I beam? How are you tilting the array?
I bought all the metal from my local welding shop. As far as tilting, each rafter has a mechanism built into it to allow it to extend or contract. I don’t know how to post a video but here is a photo.

Attachments

• IMG_7042.jpeg
    IMG_7042.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
I bought all the metal from my local welding shop.

Couldn't be cheap. I priced some 12 lb/foot 6"x4"x1/4" a few days ago, and it was $10.20/foot.

I'm debating building a mount similar to the MT Solar I already have (they have certainly raised their prices) or use a Sinclair Skyrack 2.0.

As far as tilting, each rafter has a mechanism built into it to allow it to extend or contract. I don’t know how to post a video but here is a photo.
I saw the adjustable brace but didn't see any mechanical screw so was wondering. On my MT mount, the pivot is close to the screw jack and leads to some wiggle in high winds. I planned on making an adjustable brace this summer that would go to the lower part of the array, but too busy with other things. My review of the MT mount is here. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/mt-solar-mount-review.51255/ The reason I purchased the mount was due to time, I had some work to do in the house in preparation for the install, a battery bank to build plus installing the equipment in the house and installing the mount. I've been comparing prices for building one compared to the Sinclair and the Sinclair might be the better option, might be even cheaper.

Couldn't be cheap. I priced some 12 lb/foot 6"x4"x1/4" a few days ago, and it was $10.20/foot.

I'm debating building a mount similar to the MT Solar I already have (they have certainly raised their prices) or use a Sinclair Skyrack 2.0.

I saw the adjustable brace but didn't see any mechanical screw so was wondering. On my MT mount, the pivot is close to the screw jack and leads to some wiggle in high winds. I planned on making an adjustable brace this summer that would go to the lower part of the array, but too busy with other things. My review of the MT mount is here. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/mt-solar-mount-review.51255/ The reason I purchased the mount was due to time, I had some work to do in the house in preparation for the install, a battery bank to build plus installing the equipment in the house and installing the mount. I've been comparing prices for building one compared to the Sinclair and the Sinclair might be the better option, might be even cheaper.
Honestly I’m happy I built mine because it’s custom but if I did it again I would buy a mount system and just design my own pivot. One person can adjust mine the way it is 14’ tall 35’ long but 2 is more comfortable.

I have about $4k in the metal.

40 panel tilting rack from Sinclair is $5600 plus freight. They certainly are competitive when it comes to mounts.

Plus no painting involved, all galvanized.

My MT Solar mount will need some touch up next summer.
I didn’t even have time to paint this year, we are going to passing it all come spring with a rust converter. I decided I was going to do this oct 1st, ordered everything and then did the install. Insanely compressed time line. Trying to get it done by the end of the year for the tax credits.

Reactions: Zwy

600V EMP Shield
15kw Diesel Generator
Does the generator you installed have its own transfer switch? I'm thinking of getting one for my 18K and have wondered the best way to hook that in.

Does the generator you installed have its own transfer switch? I'm thinking of getting one for my 18K and have wondered the best way to hook that in.
The 18k does not need a transfer switch. It will turn the generator on and off as it needs to. You just have to have a 2 wire start generator or start controller.

Having metal galvanized isn't cheap and well worth it for longevity depending on where you live.
Edit: Sinclair price also includes all mounting hardware (bolts, clamps).
I would definitely use the Sinclair rack if I was to do it over.

Reactions: Zwy
Back