diy solar

diy solar

New Supplier for 280Ah cells: Shenzen Basen

Some of the ones I purchased in May read 88C. I am not worried. At least @Mikey and I are in the same boat even even if our cells were not on the same vessel. ;)
Those cells were purchase from Xuba.
The good news is if 87C was July 2018 then 88C has to be later than 2018.
NOTE: Subsequent investigation revealed that I also have some other cells that are 898 and others that are 88J. Those may be the ones I purchase from Deligreen. I also notice that the numbers are not sequential. After two months of runnning them in my pack and getting them all balanced as far as voltage I don't know what to do? I do have eight coming from Shenzhen Basen and maybe they will be 88C so I may disassemble my 2P16S pack, put the 88Cs with their brothers, then rebalance the entire pack. While I am at it I think I will reassemble them in sequential order which would make more sense.
Then if I have some with odd dates I can put them in the 4S packs I am putting together for PSPS events for my sister and daughter. If we do get this date issue resolved by then, should I give my 80 year old sister the older ones and give my 36 year old daughter the newer ones?

Any thoughts?
??‍?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dzl
87C is July 12th 2018, but it might go up to 87Z

I realized I was reading the date code wrong and we may never be able to decipher it. EVE could be changing the meaning of the letters and numbers every time they make a new batch, and only EVE would be able to match it depending on the serial number or the tracking code that's also on the label.

My apologies to Basen and everyone else for my posts in the other thread.

I realized I was reading the date code wrong and we may never be able to decipher it. EVE could be changing the meaning of the letters and numbers every time they make a new batch, and only EVE would be able to match it depending on the serial number or the tracking code that's also on the label.

My apologies to Basen and everyone else for my posts in the other thread.
Good news. I will give up on worrying about sequencing my cells among my relatives. They will just be happy having some backup if they get Public Service Power Shutdowns.

Yup....it's all good and Basen is a go as far as I am concerned. Confucius said many good things including: " Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. "

I believe that statement could apply to the EVE labels...lol. I know that sounds corny but I believe it's true.

Personally I don't really care when these were produced and I feel bad for not reading the spec sheet correctly regarding the date code. But now I am thinking Basen is telling the truth based on the information they have.

I am looking forward to receiving mine so I can actually experience these things rather than just talking about them.

I appreciate your helpful posts Ampster as well as the others. .. (y)

It might be year8=2018, month B=11 November, Day6= 6th

I must have missed something .... not sure why everyone is giving up on interpreting the date code. This interpretation from @mikey seems perfectly consistent with our previous theories about the date code.
Has there been some other information I haven't seen?

The first segment of the date code is the month. The second segment is the day. The third segment is the year.

That was throwing me off too until I reread AussieSims post and I looked at the part of the EVE spec that states 1st to 3rd.

Attachments

• Date Code.jpg
    Date Code.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 54
I just took that to mean the first three characters. 87C would interpret as they indicate if it is year, month, day.

I don't think the 1-3 is indicating the order but just denotes which characters. It would be too much of a co-incidence for that to work perfectly.

I just took that to mean the first three characters. 87C would interpret as they indicate if it is year, month, day.

I don't think the 1-3 is indicating the order but just denotes which characters. It would be too much of a co-incidence for that to work perfectly.

This would be my first guess as well, considering that the only known example we have is 87C = July 12th, 2018
July = the 7th month, therefore it is highly likely month is the second digit.
This leaves the first and the third digits to decipher, I think its reasonable to infer that the first digit '8' probably does not correspond to day 12, particularly when C corresponds to 12 in hex or in some similar counting system.

Further strengthening the case that digit 1 is the year is that out of everyone that has posted their date codes so far, digits two and three are variable but digit 1 has always been 8 I believe. The most likely constant is year, it would be unlikely for day or month to remain constant while year was variable.

IF the 3 digits each individually map to day, month, or year, I think the order virtually has to be Year-Month-Day based on the series of inferences above.

However I suppose there are other possibilities, maybe the date code is meant to be read together and can't be broken down into individual digits.

If we had just one more known example, we could probably figure it out conclusively, but with just one datapoint, its informed speculation at best.

Next best thing to confirmation that we understand the date code system would be confirmation that we don't understand it.

A middle digit greater than C, or a last digit greater than whatever letter corresponds to 31, would confirm that our assumption is wrong.

We haven't seen another full example interpreted, but we have seen 880, 88P, 88R and 891 and 8B6 from the video. All of these could be interpreted to a valid date using our theoretical method of interpretation.

Maybe at some point EVE will publish an updated specification with an different date code.

Reactions: Dzl
Next best thing to confirmation that we understand the date code system would be confirmation that we don't understand it.

A middle digit greater than C, or a last digit greater than whatever letter corresponds to 31, would confirm that our assumption is wrong.

And so far we haven't seen any that don't fit .... Maybe we should solicit everyone with EVE cells to submit pictures of their date code.

And so far we haven't seen any that don't fit .... Maybe we should solicit everyone with EVE cells to submit pictures of their date code.

I will be happy to submit photos of mine when I receive them. Maybe the date code will be 08A.... :p But I doubt it.

In the near future suppliers will be out of the 280 EVE cells. I am happy to get what I got when I did. Hopefully they arrive safely and meet specs.

I don't want to or mean to hijack the thread but there is a related point to be made. It's looking like the Lishen 272ah cells might be the next EVE cell. From what I am hearing they measure at 280ah. Hopefully Lishen will be more forthcoming when asked technical questions and will be transparent regarding the codes. Hoping for the best.

I am still waiting for Emily from Shenzhen Basen to respond how to read the codes.

Here is my "theory"on how to read letters from what I have seen so far: A=10, B=11, C=12, D=13, ...V=31
Example:
7CV December 31st 2017
777 July 7th 2017

If my theory is right then it would be "impossible" to see:
1. Any letters other than A, B or C as second digit
2. Having W, X, Y or Z as third digit
If you guys seen or have any cells with 2 mentioned condition let us know.

My four cells 3 digit codes are as follows: 88C, 88H, 88F and 88R ("maybe" it means all made in Aug 2018 on 12th, 15th 17th and 27th)

I hope we can confirm it with Shenzhen Basen I will update if I receive any respond

@miky .... That is what I would expect as well. There is a holiday coming up, but I don't think it is til Thursday.

Since the cells are being matched, wouldn't it make sense that the dates would not be in order. And sometimes it would probably be better to use an old one than to use a new one that doesn't match.
As recommended by others, I will keep track of mine from the beginning. I will keep track of the capacity and other info on a spreadsheet like Craig does.
It sounds very time consuming and energy wasting to check the capacity. Hopefully I will be able to stick to this.

I ordered a 4 pack off her yesterday, and a Daly bms , got a pretty good deal , and lm hoping the cells are all good when then eventually get here
I was going to wait another year or two , but my last agm is getting down , so I'll move it on and replace it with my renogy smart battery , these cells will go into the van ( l was going to get 2 more renogy , but their slow responses online and general vagueness as to support etc is too flaky to inspire confidence for me , even though their battery's are well priced here in au ,,,,, you can nearly get 2 for the price of one battleborn )

The price of these cells and the Daly are equal to 1 renogy smart battery here

Having spent quite a few years in manufacturing, I have seen that most products are not labeled with an exact date. Usually there is a lot code.
Most of you probably know that a "lot" is one batch of material. Tracking the lot is more valuable because if something went wrong with that batch, it becomes easier to identify all the products affected. This can span multiple days or shifts.
It would make more sense to me if the year, then month were identified, then the lot code. Mostly because a computer will automatically sort them in chronological order.

Shipment (by train) on Aug. 14 to Germany.
I order DDP and my package arrived in Germany on 22 Sept and the customs clearance took almost a week.

Back