diy solar

diy solar

New Supplier for 280Ah cells: Shenzen Basen

Yes, mine shipped within two days. I am sure the sailing schedule of ships has some bearing on that. They no doubt are using some freight cosolidator that has to fill a container and it wont go on the shio until it is full.

I asked but could not get the vessel name. I will never know what happened after they left vendor until Fedex gets them at Port of LA.

Took mine 2 months to the day from time of order to receiving them

I will attach the spec sheet I have for the EVE cells. Don't let it throw you. I asked EVE and they told me the idea is to build a fixture that is strong enough the prevent the cells from expanding. Within the cell is a spiral wound pouch and they can delaminate over time if not prevented from expanding. If you search the forum you will find discussions related to this. One of the threads is here. I plan to use .5 inch plywood and threaded rods. Simple but effective.

I can't comment on the Pylontech batteries batteries or their 6000 cycle life warranty. The price does look good. Needless to say if you decide to go with a DIY built, your cost will be much less.

Do you think putting the units together and then using fiberglass tape around the pack would do the job?

Thanks. I learned something new today. I found the pdf. I also found the thread discussing it. It is referring to capacity retention based on cycles and the difference dependent on if the cells are mounted in a fixture. After comparing the graphs mine are definitely going in a fixture. It's quite evident to me one will get more watt hours out of the cells over time when the cells reach 80% capacity vs not mounting.

It looks like at around the 2000 cycle mark is when things start to improve dramatically using a fixture. For anyone else interested in comparing I will attach the spec sheet. I found the discussion in the other thread interesting. There are many factors at play. The one that stands out the most to me is the C rate. And EVE likes to use 1C rates even though they state .5C rates as standard.

Does it also have anything to do with % of charge? If you dont go over 90% less expansion and longer life?

Do you think putting the units together and then using fiberglass tape around the pack would do the job?
I think the tape could stretch? Besides my cells are slightly expanded and I want to compress them a little at a time to see if they will flatten out. I have all the hardware being delivered today from Home Depot and will go to the store over the weekend to get the plywood and have them cut it. I figured I could save some time this way.

Does it also have anything to do with % of charge? If you dont go over 90% less expansion and longer life?
Well they should be parallel top balanced anyways and others have reported slight expansion after balancing. But as far as SOC I don't know. EVE uses 1C charge rates to calculate cycle life. And they charge and discharge using full cycles. So by having the cells compressed if one gets the full 3500 cycles I think one would be very happy with that. But who does full charge and discharge cycles at 1C? There are several different ways of looking at it and what ones intended use is. In my case I will be using mine as an emergency back up. So I will try to keep my cells between a 70% and 80% SOC. Having said that EVE does consider .5C charge and discharge rates standard.

Not durable, certainly not efficient... 300kg for a so small surface is pretty easy constraint, 15mm of plywood shoud be plenty enough.
You could also drop then in fresh concrete...?

I bought nine. Basen sent three boxes of three, with the extra spaces filled with foam.
Ho man...she try to convince me that basen can't send cells other then by 4...
I need 17, I do not want to be fucked cause one cell as failed...! I'm pretty sure that I .less.then one year they will not be able.to provide the same cell....so... Better take one more or two...

Ho man...she try to convince me that basen can't send cells other then by 4...
I need 17, I do not want to be fucked cause one cell as failed...! I'm pretty sure that I .less.then one year they will not be able.to provide the same cell....so... Better take one more or two...
Well they may not be happy about doing it. This was the 1st time I have ordered from Alibaba and was expecting email communication not the internal messaging system so I missed it when she express concerns about the extra battery. I think they just gave up and filled the order but it was three boxes vs two.

Well they may not be happy about doing it. This was the 1st time I have ordered from Alibaba and was expecting email communication not the internal messaging system so I missed it when she express concerns about the extra battery. I think they just gave up and filled the order but it was three boxes vs two.
Yea they do.not seems to like it, but it seems a good idea to get a spare cell, they just now have to design a 3 pieces box...shouldn't be so hard...?

Just got home from camping this weekend and on my doorstep were the first 4 boxes!
I don't know if I have the energy to unbox them tonight.

Attachments

• 20201101_170504.jpg
    20201101_170504.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 12
Just got home from camping this weekend and on my doorstep were the first 4 boxes!
I didn't know if I had the energy either when I got my boxes. But I couldn't stand it any longer and found enough energy to open the boxes....lol

Last edited:
Very nice! Gives me hope my tracking will go live in the next week.

I just wish someone had told me the Chinese color positive black. ? Good thing I figured it out before I hooked up the bms, altho I didn't figure it out before I smoked my power supply. Live and learnPXL_20201102_000629034.jpg

I just wish someone had told me the Chinese color positive black. ? Good thing I figured it out before I hooked up the bms, altho I didn't figure it out before I smoked my power supply. Live and learn
Sorry about your PS. The positive black is weird. Even though the cells are labeled it would be nice of the positive was red.

Sorry about your PS. The positive black is weird. Even though the cells are labeled it would be nice of the positive was red.
Yea the labels are so small I had the two days before I put my glasses on and finally saw them

A common wiring color scheme is positive black and negative/ground as brown. Rule #1 with new hardware is to never assume. Check pinouts and if necessary make labels for each wire. Don't want to let the magic smoke out...

I did some searching and sent out a Request For Quote on Alibaba looking for a different supplier for 280Ah cells.
I read all about Amy and Xuba. Even with all the guidance, some people still seem to have troubles. Their prices weren't the best, so I ordered my first 4 from UNIS. They work great, but, for some reason, I couldn't get them to send me a new label to replace one that was peeled back in shipping.
Emily from Shenzhen Basen answered my RFQ with an offer of $77.40 per cell. MOQ = 4. She says they are Grade A new cells.
Shipping is $268.00. With the Alibaba service fee, a batch of 16 came up to $1536.53 delivered to my door via FedEx (after they get off the ship).
I ordered two sets of 16.
Now, we wait...
I just ordered 20 280ah cells from Emily at Shenzhen Basen. Total was $1,640 for the batteries, $286 for shipping for a total of $1,926. There was a small credit card fee as well. That's $96.30 a battery delivered. As you said, now we wait... But so far it's been a smooth process, and this is the first time I've used Alibaba. Next up for me is buying 4 BMS' (3 12v batteries at 280ah, 1 12v battery at 560ah).

Back