diy solar

diy solar

New Supplier for 280Ah cells: Shenzen Basen

I am fairly sure the lower C rate is still a concern. I just took apart my 16s pack and some of the cells did expand a little.
I don't think mine are a problem but if they weren't in a compression fixture it probably would be worse.
And I never came near .2 C
I charged at 12A so 12/280 = .043C
Hopefully that is correct.
You charge them with a Samsung micro usb charger..??
I'm curious but the pack seems pretty big for such a low charge rate...no..? You certainly got something really specific here.... What is it..???

It is my understanding that some degree expansion of these cells is normal and pretty much unavoidable.

You charge them with a Samsung micro usb charger..??
I'm curious but the pack seems pretty big for such a low charge rate...no..? You certainly got something really specific here.... What is it..???
It's a 12 amp charger and my battery is 280ah. I thought I calculated correctly.

I wonder if it takes a certain C rate to cause this action.

Can you ask them if the C rate is 0.2 or less if this is still a concern?

I would guess that it takes a minimum amount of current to cause a physical movement like that but I have guessed wrong before ?
It's a high state of charge which causes internal pressure and expansion. You actually get a lower capacity from cells in a fixture (but a much lower degredation rate.

Hi,
I suppose you still did not got your cells, i want to buy cells but...I'm still going back and forth between those cheap cells and for example a Pylontech system, all in one box with included bms, they can be chained up to 8...available in 2.4 or 3.2kwh and guaranted for 6000 cycles....
I do not know what are you planing to do with your cells but did you looked at Pylontech..?
They are destined to houses or small companies, obviously not for Evs.
I'm able to build the system with those Eve or Lishen..but I'm kind of unsure of their longevity... and perhaps it's better to pay twice the price for a system that is already build and warranted...with twice as many cycles and super easy to move.
What is your point of view...?
Thanks
You're right. I'm still waiting for the tracking number to go active on the FedEx site.
Pylontech is one of the companies whose BMS is known to be compatible with the SolArk that I will be providing the energy to. If I wanted to pay their price for batteries for my solar backup, I would have just gone with the Enphase or Generac solutions.
My whole intention is to reduce the cost of adding batteries to the system.
I don't have any doubts that the cells we are buying are on par with any other lithium cells out there for longevity. When you buy the complete system, you are paying for the engineering time to design and test the system. With the help of these forums, that is an unnecessary expense.

You're right. I'm still waiting for the tracking number to go active on the FedEx site.
Pylontech is one of the companies whose BMS is known to be compatible with the SolArk that I will be providing the energy to. If I wanted to pay their price for batteries for my solar backup, I would have just gone with the Enphase or Generac solutions.
My whole intention is to reduce the cost of adding batteries to the system.
I don't have any doubts that the cells we are buying are on par with any other lithium cells out there for longevity. When you buy the complete system, you are paying for the engineering time to design and test the system. With the help of these forums, that is an unnecessary expense.
I do not know enphase or generax solutions, but a quick search gave me "enphase encharge" 10kwh for....12000$.. you certainly speak of an other solution. Pylontech cost 1100€ for 3.2kwh that's 4400€ for 12.8kwh (prices at my local store), I do not feel that they are overrated as much as many others. But as you said they are still far more (more then twice) expensive then Eve+Bms but they also got advantages, for 12.8kwh it's 4 pack in parallel, you can easily disconnect one pack and the 3 others remain usable, in fact the whole system do not even see it... and cycles, Eve say 3500, Pylon say 6500.
Half my brain have same conclusions then you have......the other is pro Pylontech....man...it's hard...?
Can I ask which means of payment did you used with Basen... Paypal, wire...? I'm not sure what is best, PayPal protection or Alibaba trade insurance...

Last edited:
An other question for guys that already got cells from Alibaba, did some tried delivery in a local port...? Cause it seems to be substantially cheaper. ( I got one 150km from my place).
For the time being Shenzhen Basen are the less expensive, 1300€ for 16 Eve ddp.

It is my understanding that some degree expansion of these cells is normal and pretty much unavoidable.
It is avoidable if the cells are mounted in a fixture strong enough to prevent expansion. If mounted in a fixture EVE and Lishen claim a 3500 cycle life. The other benefit is to reduce stress on the terminals.

You actually get a lower capacity from cells in a fixture (but a much lower degredation rate.
Lower Capacity in a fixture? That's news to me...never heard of that. Have you tested your claim or can you provide a source to back it up?

It is avoidable if the cells are mounted in a fixture strong enough to prevent expansion. If mounted in a fixture EVE and Lishen claim a 3500 cycle life. The other benefit is to reduce stress on the terminals.

Lower Capacity in a fixture? That's news to me...never heard of that. Have you tested your claim or can you provide a source to back it up?
It was on the battery docs for the EVE cells, the one with two lifecycle charts, one with fixture and one without. Without fixture starts with a higher capacity. It's been noted previously on these boards.

I wonder if it takes a certain C rate to cause this action.

Can you ask them if the C rate is 0.2 or less if this is still a concern?

I would guess that it takes a minimum amount of current to cause a physical movement like that but I have guessed wrong before ?
I would love to but I was "lucky" to get a reply from them regarding the fixture and now they want to sell me cells...lol. If anyone really needs to know then I would suggest contacting EVE. It's a good question. Arthur said his cells expanded a bit with a low charge rate while others haven't mentioned it. And most did not have their cells mounted in a fixture until after top balancing.

It was on the battery docs for the EVE cells, the one with two lifecycle charts, one with fixture and one without. Without fixture starts with a higher capacity. It's been noted previously on these boards.
Ok thanks. I will take another look at it.

There are several EVE spec sheets floating around. Could you please upload or link to the one you referenced? Thanks.

EDIT: I checked the two docs I have and all I see are the regular graphs.

Last edited:
There are several EVE spec sheets floating around. Could you please upload or link to the one you referenced? Thanks.

EDIT: I checked the two docs I have and all I see are the regular graphs.
It's uploaded in the resources from April 20th.

It's uploaded in the resources from April 20th.
Thanks. I learned something new today. I found the pdf. I also found the thread discussing it. It is referring to capacity retention based on cycles and the difference dependent on if the cells are mounted in a fixture. After comparing the graphs mine are definitely going in a fixture. It's quite evident to me one will get more watt hours out of the cells over time when the cells reach 80% capacity vs not mounting.

It looks like at around the 2000 cycle mark is when things start to improve dramatically using a fixture. For anyone else interested in comparing I will attach the spec sheet. I found the discussion in the other thread interesting. There are many factors at play. The one that stands out the most to me is the C rate. And EVE likes to use 1C rates even though they state .5C rates as standard.

Attachments

• LF280 (3.2V 280Ah) Product Specification(Version E)-2019.7.5.pdf
    789 KB · Views: 24
My fedex tracker just walent active. I should have my 16 cells Thursday, altho fedex doesn't have a great on time record out where I live

My fedex tracker just walent active. I should have my 16 cells Thursday, altho fedex doesn't have a great on time record out where I live
My tracking numbers were made on the 26th. How many days before that was yours?

Back