diy solar

diy solar

New Supplier for 280Ah cells: Shenzen Basen

I looked up the M38999, no way you can connect this with our aluminium terminals.

For galvanic corrosion, no I did not read your personal posts, apparently you didn't read mine either :)

You will find we are largely on the same page.

Corrosion, being galvanic corrosion or "normal" both can be prevented with a seal.
Like our cars work perfectly with some paint.
Yes, after a decade or so, it does get issues at the edges.
Probably for a yet plane the paint needs to be applied more often for the pressure reason you mentioned.

Corosion needs oxigen.
Prevent by sealing it with lubricant or paint both have the same results.
Paint just lasts longer.

Problem with most paint is that it's non or bad conductive layer.

Silver conductive paste/paint solves that issue.
Compared to lubricant like vaseline, it's a whole lot better.

I'm not taking my Powerwall apart twice a year to apply new lubricant!!
Reply some one the sides isn't working, the center rod / screw / bolt is having the same loss of lubricant.

Tin and copper have large difference for voltage, so does tin and aluminium.

Yet tinning aluminium and copper is quite standard, and doesn't give problems on its own.
Solder on copper PCB lasts several decades without showing signs of galvanic corrosion.

Zinc coated copper should desolve the Zinc, right?
Huge difference...
Yet, most coated lugs one can buy are Zinc or Tin coated.

Simple deduction makes that coating is preventing corrosion aka oxidation.
By lack of oxigen.

Sure, miniscule air pockets will be there, and they will expand some, or atleast have higher pressure.
(Air can be compressed really easy)
A coating, silver based or other, compressed with tinned copper bus-bar on top...
Those trapped micro air pockets will have a hard time expanding strong enough to break the seal.

This is not a problem

Problem might be is the oxigen in this micro pocket.
Oxigen is oxidation aka corosion.
Galvanic corrosion can not occur without oxigen.

I think it's good to say that it is not possible to totally prevent Galvanic corrosion.
We can reduce its effects!
A lot.

Best would be to use the same metal for all connection and connection materials.

There where this is not possible to make use of coated parts.
I used electroplating to Tin my Bus-bars.
Looking back, Zinc would have been a better choice.
This doesn't make the work useless, it does reduce / slow down the Galvanic corrosion process.
Not sure if it's doable at home, but electroplating with aluminium could even be a better solution.
Or hot dipping.
(Most Iron rods are hot dipped with zinc)

It is what it is, my Bus-bars are Tin plated.

Next step, for all is the same, connect the bus-bar on the aluminium terminals.

oxi-guard or vaseline/petroleum jelly are non conductive and kind of seal of the aluminium and copper.

For me, I'll be using silver paint, the type one can use to repair PCB lines.

I'll clean the aluminium surface, sand paper it light with high grid (1500) with a flat surface (small hand mirror)
this will make as flat possible surface.
The Tinned copper bus-bar will get the same treatment.
(First the Tin, then the aluminium as aluminium oxidize the fastest)

As I make pairs, and the pairs into series, it's easy to have 2 x one bus-bar connect the 2 cells.
making them this way I have the bus-bars mounted quickly on the terminals.
later, when all pairs are finished, I need to unscrew the nut, place the 2 connection Bus-bars for the series and tighten the nuts for permanent.

time will tell if the silver based conductive layer is eating the aluminium terminals.
My experience with silver conductive paste and aluminium heatsinks is positive, no galvanic corrosion after 5 years.
aluminium surface still as smooth as before.

I don't think it will as there is no oxigen.
Perhaps in 10 years or longer the edges might get some galvanic corrosion.

I bought the 50 kWh LiFePO4 to be able to use at least 7 years, (economic) expect 10 and hope 12-15 years.

in normal days the cells are used for 25%.
the days with less sun, slowly more.
42 X 340 watt panels don't make a lot of energy during overcast and rain.
Living off grid makes it nesececery to have spare energy for 7 overcast/rainy days.

that is in reality about 10 week a year.
For the other 42 weeks the cells are just lightly discharged at night.

At night we use without crypto mining about 1kw per hour, depending on the weather the mining is stopped.
Normally it like 750-1000 watt, depending on coin / calculation method.

That is my personal setup, slightly off topic with the crypto, for many readers the way the cells are mounted, is on topic.

I discussed galvanic corrosion on this forum before, and other forums.
It's real. It does happen. You can not stop it, at all.
Corrosion is a fact.

Question is, how bad is it, how bad is it for you?
Are you living close to the coast?
(Salty air)
Do you have higher temperature difference?
Do you have your cells outside or inside your home / RV / shed?
Do you have controlled environment (air conditioning)

All important questions to answer to decide how bad the galvanic corrosion will hurt you, or (almost) not at all.

For me, close to Laos border in Thailand, far away from the sea
Cells are indoor, air conditioned room , 26-28 degrees at battery array.
(Cells are on the floor, in a section of our bedroom, "energy closet" silenced for inverter noise, and well ventilated)
That is as optimal is I can get them.

For all people, depending on how long you want to use your cells, optimization of location / temperature & moisture can make years difference.

2 different metal touching eachother will give galvanic corrosion.

Sealing one metal with an other won't, as there no oxigen.

This sealing can be electroplating, hot dipping, "explosion fusion" (I don't know official name, with great force like explosion 2 metals can be joined), probably a few other methods I did not mention.
Painting is one of the sealing methods.
Most base paint for Iron contain (or used to contain) lead (oxide)....

I am thinking about buying some magnesium wire and wrap it around the terminal, and go to the top, the rod, after all is connected.
Contact with all 3 different metals
(Aluminium, copper, stainless steel 304, or for me add Tin and silver :) )

If any would be an easy way to control galvanic corrosion then this is probably the most visable and controllable / replaceable method available.
Look twice a year and if one one location the magnesium wire is eaten away, you simply apply new.

It's really hard to find wire for me, ribbon, loads, and cheap.
View attachment 25313

About 3 dollar for a meter :)
Scissors will make it easy to cut in half or less, making your own wire out of ribbon :)

This 3 dollar worth of magnesium should last you longer than the LiFePO4 cells...

That is, as long as you don't light it.
As a kid my chemical kit had some magnesium...
I still smile thinking about lighting those strips..
That was great fun.
40 years later probably less impressive.

I can tell for sure that the 3 dollar won't hurt your budget badly, won't damage the cells if used with sense (don't make a short) and will be the first to show galvanic corrosion.
Not only show, but moves the problem all together to a location that is easy to manage (= replace)

I cannot advice to make washers out of magnesium and place them between the copper bus-bars and aluminium terminal.
It will be eaten, and once gone, your setup will have no longer good contact.
Probably crappy way of saying this in English...
Not native English sometimes is difficult to explain things.

God speed and good luck with your installation!

You can worry all you need (I did my share) and find solutions that will work for you.
With this, only time can tell what was best.

It's a trade-off between optimal contact and galvanic corrosion prevention/reduction.

I personally would have paid the 5 dollar extra to have copper Terminals, if it was available.
I did see one copper, one aluminium terminal in a brand LiFePO4...
@fhorst From an Engineering standpoint, I disagree with you on many points. The addition of more metals will only complicate the corrosion model. Among other factors, differences in thermal expansion rates are ignored in your theory. As the aluminum contracts, the silver won't follow once it is solidified, and the stainless has its own coefficient. This will leave gaps and break your seal. It is also one of the top reasons that fasteners come loose.

Your system will probably work just fine. Not because you add silver, tin, or magnesium to your terminals, but because you keep them climate controlled.

I find that most people in the US that are looking into lithium batteries are looking for solutions to RV, boat, or home power systems and do not necessarily have the luxury of climate control for the batteries. This is evidenced by the emphasis on a low temperature cutoff in the BMS. This is the audience to whom I address my solutions.

As you mentioned, It is quite simple to keep everything aluminum from the cells all the way to the terminals where your power is used. A light coat of connector lubricant is sufficient to seal aluminum against corrosion. No sense in complicating the matter.
If the aluminum threads on the cells will hold 8Nm, then the threads on the aluminum fasteners will also.

The cells I ordered from Basen (through Gloria Lao) should be arriving in California in the next week or so.
The first 8 were EVE, but then they ran out, so I picked up another 16 of the Lishen, shipped DDP.

Then I purchased an inverter, only later realizing it ships DAP.
But since the cost of the inverter is less than the US $800 limit, will DDP or DAP shipping matter?

I am using red. I don’t see a need to remove the studs as I’m making them long enough to be flexible to any reasonable need.

edit: i let blue cure 24 hours and I was able to remove the stud very easily. After research I decided permatex brand red would be a better choice over loctite. Dunno if it was brand or blue that was a problem but I’ve got a great solution now.
I can't remember but you got 20mm studs...correct? That's what I have. I figured for two 2mm buss bars =4mm, the balance terminal =2mm at the most, and add in the depth of the terminal screw is which is 6mm, the total so far is 12mm. This leaves plenty of room and then some for the nut.

For those of you that ordered from Shenzen Basen did they get your batteries shipped within 10 days of payment as set forth in the contract?

For those of you that ordered from Shenzen Basen did they get your batteries shipped within 10 days of payment as set forth in the contract?
I haven’t received mine yet but they said they were shipped about 7 days after my order.

Yes, I squeezed one order in before their holiday and it was shipped the next day. The second order had to wait until after the holiday, but still shipped within ten days.

Hi,

Mine were delivered today, they left Hong Kong by ship 17 days after payment, so probably shipped from Basen well before that. Took just over month after ship left port, to arrive at delivery address.

The cells were very well packed, no damage to boxes, all cells look perfect.

All 18 cells were at 3.26V, bank is 58.6V. Weights varied a bit: between 5.344 ~ 5.371Kg.

Just making up a clamp from some timber and threaded rod.

Plan to have the BMS wired up, then connected to SCC, ready for charging by lunch time tomorrow. Hopefully, it's a sunny afternoon. :cool:

dRdoS7

Solardad, I am using loctite on studs. The only reason I am using it is so the studs don't back out. I don't want the studs moving around because then I would have to keep checking that they were in all the way.
Good point but given my own experience in fastening my cells I know the grub screws that some of the vendors provide are only good for a single bussbar connection, length is not adequate. As a result I tried backing out the screw so there was enough thread to fasten the nut but given the shallow depth, 6mm, there really is no leeway for that scenario to work without the risk of stripping the threads due to lack of contact between the grub screw and the cell. In short I ordered longer grub screws (20mm vs the 15mm that came with my order) and was able to fasten all my cells at the proper 6-8Nm torque setting now there is no way a screw would back out. I would be concerned that folks might be leveraging the loctite as a bandaid and not using the full depth of the cell mount or not owning a quality torque wrench to confirm a solid connection.

https://diysolarforum.com/resources...-product-specification-version-e-2019-7-5.15/

Also, as a reminder, the manufacture recommends that all terminal posts be lightly polished/sanded prior to assembly - there is a slight film on the posts from the manufacturing process that will inhibit a good electrical contact.

9.3.9 Connection
a) Polishing the pole with abrasive paper before use, otherwise it would cause bad contact or failure

Mine shipped yesterday. So three days after payment. Pretty good. Now to figure out if it's possible to track the shipment across the sea.

So I checked my FedEx tracking. It says I have four pieces weighing 48.2 lbs each for a total of 193.1 lbs. Crazy thing is tracking says they shipped from Norcross, GA and are scheduled to be delivered on 10-21-20. I'm assuming this is not accurate and that they are actually shipping from China. Anyone else see initial shipping info like mine?

If by some chance they are shipping from the States now I need to get my neighbor to be on the lookout and put these in my garage.

So I checked my FedEx tracking. It says I have four pieces weighing 48.2 lbs each for a total of 193.1 lbs. Crazy thing is tracking says they shipped from Norcross, GA and are scheduled to be delivered on 10-21-20. I'm assuming this is not accurate and that they are actually shipping from China. Anyone else see initial shipping info like mine?

If by some chance they are shipping from the States now I need to get my neighbor to be on the lookout and put these in my garage.
The FedEx number is a placeholder. When my order shipped the FedEx site said they would be delivered in three days from Santa Fe Springs CA ?. Then the next day the status changed to “Pending”. Supposedly the number will go live when the shipment clears customs and is delivered to FedEx

My orders also list Norcross, GA. Perhaps they're using a customs broker who is based there.

I can't remember but you got 20mm studs...correct? That's what I have. I figured for two 2mm buss bars =4mm, the balance terminal =2mm at the most, and add in the depth of the terminal screw is which is 6mm, the total so far is 12mm. This leaves plenty of room and then some for the nu
I can't remember but you got 20mm studs...correct? That's what I have. I figured for two 2mm buss bars =4mm, the balance terminal =2mm at the most, and add in the depth of the terminal screw is which is 6mm, the total so far is 12mm. This leaves plenty of room and then some for the nut.
Yup 20. Here they are in my test build of 100ah cells

Attachments

• D2EC2807-0D1A-4DCC-9802-3CEA4581D2F3.jpeg
    D2EC2807-0D1A-4DCC-9802-3CEA4581D2F3.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 43
@fhorst From an Engineering standpoint, I disagree with you on many points. The addition of more metals will only complicate the corrosion model. Among other factors, differences in thermal expansion rates are ignored in your theory. As the aluminum contracts, the silver won't follow once it is solidified, and the stainless has its own coefficient. This will leave gaps and break your seal. It is also one of the top reasons that fasteners come loose.

Your system will probably work just fine. Not because you add silver, tin, or magnesium to your terminals, but because you keep them climate controlled.

I find that most people in the US that are looking into lithium batteries are looking for solutions to RV, boat, or home power systems and do not necessarily have the luxury of climate control for the batteries. This is evidenced by the emphasis on a low temperature cutoff in the BMS. This is the audience to whom I address my solutions.

As you mentioned, It is quite simple to keep everything aluminum from the cells all the way to the terminals where your power is used. A light coat of connector lubricant is sufficient to seal aluminum against corrosion. No sense in complicating the matter.
If the aluminum threads on the cells will hold 8Nm, then the threads on the aluminum fasteners will also.
Lol

You really lost your way.

Silver paste is the reason faster go lose, if I follow your theory...

Paint peels of a car as it stands in the sun???

Lubricant is not a seal!!

And no, not luxury.
LiFePO4 is luxury.
Conditioned environment to last long with the cells is just common sense.
Like BMS, and investment to make to avoid problems.

Batrium BMS is about 1200 USD for 16 cells.
Air conditioning is a lot cheaper!!

Just for your information, air-conditioning cools air.... Doesn't heat it.

That is called a heater.

Personally if I would live in an environment where there are temperatures below 0, and am depending on the LiFePO4 for my electricity, I would add heating system to prevent damage to the cells.

BMS Temperature protection (over and under) have little to do with air-conditioning.

Please stop calling your lubricant the holy grail. It doesn't stop oxidation.
It will give oxidation at the terminals and bus-bars, unless you seal it with a special paste, created for this.

Perhaps you have 4 cells, easy to do maintenance every 5 months, take out bus-bar, place new lubricant, and rebuild.
If that is your hobby, great!

Total $15.000,-, 80 cells, 3 inverters, 42 solar panels isn't my hobby, it's my energy supply for family and farm.
Average monthly income is not at absurd USA level but normal 750-1.000 USD a month.
While many Chinese product are cheaper here, like $115,- for +300w solar panel, income is also a lot lower.
Sometimes I hear about the level of normal income in USA and the complaints....
Really funny people those Americans :)

I have luxury, +1500 per month.
Sadly no free healthcare like Thai.
If I get serious sick, I die.

The +$15.000 investment is here for me (and most Thai) really high investment.
Something I'm not willing to risk great reduction of live cycle due heat.
We have +45 Celcius regular...
Outside in the shade.

Charging and discharging cells create heat..
That make easy +50 at the cells..
Airconditioning is like BMS a must, not luxury.

Same as heating at an area with subzero is a must, not luxury.

If you can't "afford" you can't afford the LiFePO4 live cycle and accept that you need to buy soon again...
Priorities perhaps...

I don't have a Jet plane to take the cells high up the sky with great pressure difference.
Nor do I take it in to huge temperature difference.

Airconditioning have nothing to do with it.
I think that having BMS over temperature protection means that it needs airconditioning??
Like subzero needs heating?

You forget something like surface tension for 2 layers connected....
Extension and contraction is not a that big deal.
For sure not the most important reason for lose fasteners!!
Most get lose due vibration.
Spring washer or loctite would fix this for you.

Just the minimal expansion of the metal is not loosing the fasteners!!

For all connection, if it's paint, fasteners, kit, sealant or lubricant..
Even communication..

Keep it in the middle, no extrema.
Searching for them will find you your problems, problems that aren't there if you don't have a Jet plane and take your cells up to 15.000 feet.
And try to use them directly after landing.. (at 15.000 feet it's about -40 Celcius)

Placing them in sea water is not advisable also...

Marine have different problems then rural Isaan (Thailand) and are facing this not only for LiFePO4 but all connections.

Now being marine, make all those problems go away.

Rural Isaan, +45 in hot season, something many locations don't have, and don't need prevention for this..

Negative temperature...
Many BMS have no protection for this as the biggest part of the globe doesn't have this problem.

Adjust your prevention to where you are, your location.
Then that will be good.
Lacking this prevention will give you problem.

Heating is totally luxury here. And not needed most of the days.
Cool season is +5 (for a few nights) minimal temperature.

Back in Netherlands with -5 to -20 in winter (cool season) heating is not luxury, air-conditioning is luxury with normal max of +30 (for a few days) in summer.

All depends on your location.
Prevention is luxury??

Zinc coated is not breaking up during expansion and shrinking (normal range, 60 degrees Celsius)
It won't break at +40 nor -20
Heating it to 200 and freezing -50...
Yeah, sure, after a few hundred cycles it will start to bladder.

Not heating to 200 and freezing to -50 will prevent this.

It doesn't mean that you are wrong.
Absolutely not!
You are totally correct in the extreme environments that you like to use as treshold.

I don't know your lifestyle, mine being simple farming and tinkering with just about anything mechanical, electronic and computer related.

I don't have those extreme environments.
Harsh, yes rural Isaan Thailand is harsh with clay dust that goes inside anything, long periods of high humidity that turn the clay dust into soft clay..
Long, long dry and hot periods and dust... So much dust.

Dust is for LiFePO4 not an issue, for inverters it is.
Moist again not a problem, the rest of electronics is.
For clothes the same, if not in conditioned room, (or sealed bag) it will rot within weeks.

Even our car have problems with breathing the clay..
Clay dust in air filter will become solid clay layer with enough moisture in the air.

Clay dust is not a problem for marine...they have salt :)

I'm sure your installation will work just fine, just as I am sure that you won't make precautions for freezing if it's not an issue for your environment.

Most installations will go just fine, as we have large surface area, and a tight fit.
Even the stock Bus-bars van work fine for many installation.

Just don't do +100A
If you do, they won't melt, but get warm/hot.
Not a direct problem for the installation, in time the larger unneeded temperature difference will give problems.
Even the simple friction between the 2 metals from different expansion will give wearing.
Give it enough time, or enough high current cycle and you see problems.
The lifecycle count of the cells is reached long, long before you can see this wear with naked eye.
This doesn't make it non existent.
Just not a direct problem.

More direct problem will be the increased temperature and the effects on the lifecycle.
(If not controlled by some form of cooling)

Prevention by not using+100A on the stock 2mm Bus-bars, or adjust the bus-bar to the current you expect to use is in my opinion always a good step.
Needed step, just like BMS and heating if you live/use in subzero environment.
Or air-conditioning cooling at +40..

Luxury would be a stable affordable grid connection.
Even unstable would be great!!
Sadly, that will cost +$75.000 to our home, and pay every month the "connection" if we use it or not..
(Maximal 10A, or 2300 watt here!!)
Double or more is over $100.000...

Luxury would be RV where one can charge batteries at the grid and have solar for cost reduction...

The luxury we do have, if Covid 19 would be a problem in Thailand (now almost 0 infection), living off grid/ outside village or town makes it a lot more easy to prevent infection on day to day basis.
The one time a week to the village for shopping is easy to reduce to once every 2 or 3 months.

That, that is the luxury it does give us :)

Last edited:
Yup 20. Here they are in my test build of 100ah cells
+20 mm is a good length.
I ordered some 16mm to use with the shipped Bus-bars..
They are about 3-4 mm short now with my new more serious Bus-bars :)

I now have them 25mm to have extra room if needed.

Your installation looks clean!
Great clamping the lugs!

Don't forget to place pressure on the large sides to prevent delaminating and/or bloating.

According to the white paper 300kgf

I made error in previous post:

9.3.2 Please use the battery in a normal indoor environment, temperature: -20 ℃~55 ℃, relative
humidity: 15 ~ 90%, atmospheric pressure: 86~106 Kpa.
9.3.3 During the usage, should be away from heat, fire, to avoid children playing with the
battery, do not beat, fall or impact the battery.

Temperature difference maximal 75 degrees, not 60.
In the manual you can read not to use below - 10 and +45, or better greatly reduced capacity outside those temperatures.
Charge, only above +0.

Intended for indoor environment, or more simple, environment where humans can live and work without needing additional protection for heat or cold.

+20 mm is a good length.
I ordered some 16mm to use with the shipped Bus-bars..
They are about 3-4 mm short now with my new more serious Bus-bars :)

I now have them 25mm to have extra room if needed.

Your installation looks clean!
Great clamping the lugs!

Don't forget to place pressure on the large sides to prevent delaminating and/or bloating.

According to the white paper 300kgf

Thanks! I'm going to order 25mm as well because I'll have the room -- I don't care if the studs stick up high. 20mm will probably be enough as you can see from the picture but I'll have the extra room for the 25 so why not?

My final build is 2 48v 280ah packs powering two 5k inverters in an RV ... so I'm taking every part of the build very seriously -- proper crimping, cleaning terminals, anti-ox, torque wrench, clamping, etc. I've been practicing/learning on these 100ah cells from my SoK battery :)

Yes, mine shipped within two days. I am sure the sailing schedule of ships has some bearing on that. They no doubt are using some freight cosolidator that has to fill a container and it wont go on the shio until it is full.

I asked but could not get the vessel name. I will never know what happened after they left vendor until Fedex gets them at Port of LA.

Back