diy solar

diy solar

Plug-n-Play vs DIY lithium

Lithium (lion) batteries include LifePO4 (often abbreviated LFP but not LPF), NMC, NCA some others including the most volatile Lipo pouch cells. Tesla has warranteed they EV batteries for 8 years. Their tweeks to the NMC NCA chemistry has resulted in much longer cycle life than 600 cycles. I would suggest getting you terminology correct at the same time that you get your facts correct.

What? I mistyped LFP and now I'm wrong? wow.. All I'm saying is Lithium is a widely used term that means different things based on the chemical composition of the battery. Yes, LiFePo4 is based on LION but it does not contain the same metals and is much less volitile.

I didn't expect this response at all.

I just wish you could get cells in the US at the same price as from China.

What? I mistyped LFP and now I'm wrong? wow
They have a saying in the movie business that you are only as good as your last act. Fortunately this is not the movie business and your other informative posts remain. I was expressing an opinion about that one post that was not factually correct. It also implied that liquid cooling was a weakness when in fact the lack of liquid cooling in an EV has been a weakness of the Nissan Leaf battery.

Me too, I know a guy that sells them at a good price.. He buys bulk from China and has very good customer service. I am just a happy customer, no kickback or affiliate.. He is on this forum, OverKillSolar..

They have a saying in the movie business that you are only as good as your last act. Fortunately this is not the movie business and your other informative posts remain. I was expressing an opinion about that one post that was not factually correct. It also implied that liquid cooling was a weakness when in fact the lack of liquid cooling in an EV has been a weakness of the Nissan Leaf battery.

I did not in any way know that I was indicating that liquid cooling was a weakness, I'm sorry you saw it that way as it was not my intention.

Other than recently, the price of shipping has been very reasonable. Containerization has reduced the cost of shipping goods significantly over what it cost 70 years ago.

If you are willing to wait you can ship by sea and its a lot more cheaper, but up to 2months to arrive.

If you are willing to wait you can ship by sea and its a lot more cheaper, but up to 2months to arrive.
When there were a lot of passenger flights to and from China there was often room on less crowded passenger flights for spot market Express packages. That market has disintegrated and coupled with customs delays at ports of arrival has caused time frames to be extended. All thanks to an invisible virus.

Last edited:
That market has disintegrated

Thats the word... the "commercial passenger" air routes from china to our city have stopped, so only a few cargo companies can do it (DHL/ Fedex / Cargolux)... and the rates almost doubled in some cases!

Factory built batteries come with attractive, properly sized cases that are often the same size as an old fashioned lead acid battery. DIY builds, like mine, use a custom built wood frame, an odd sized RV battery box, or just have the wires hanging out in the open.

I figure I will chime in here due to my experiences.

When I first wanted to go from Lead Acid (Rolls Surette S-550's) to Lithium based systems, I explored many things for quite some time. I considered using either Tesla or Volt EV Packs and so on, so I ran the gamut of possibilities. In the end and working the number's I decided to buy a Pre-Built pack from ShunBin (link in my signature) and THAT was a $3,000 disaster ! plain & simple, it's covered in the thread mentioned. They are an example of a Shlock Vendor who uses Used Cells to make packs and flog them.

For Pre-Builts, you need to look at Battleborn, Relion, Delphi and even Victron, Trojan & Rolls have LFP Batteries now. All of these are far from cheap but they are exactly what you pay for and they do stand behind their products and have very good warranties.

After recovering from the ShunBin disaster I decided to DYI my own.
I paid $3,000 USD for the ShunBin 24V/175AH with crap BMS & Used cells. Was advertised as 24V/200AH.
I bought 16, 280AH LFP cells from Xuba Electronic Link to XUBA Alibaba Store which cost me Total Order Amount: USD 2,433.32 including the Shipping fee: USD 1,110.60. That was Pre-Covid and Air Freighted DDP (Duties/Taxes paid). From that, I build two 24V/280AH Packs and used one Chargery BMS8T per pack which I believe were about $140 ea) with relays & delay board. * So for the cost of ONE ShunBin of Used Crap, I built 24V/560AH with new Grade-A EVE 280AH cells.

* I have since abandoned using their Electro-Mechanical relays which are energy pigs and am now using TE/Kilovac EV200AAANA Energy Saver Relays and Dongya DHV200AAANH Energy Saver contactors which are twice as efficient and do not waste power through heat. Used TE/Gigavacs sell on EBay / Amazon between 25-50 USD, New ones run around $125+ each. Th Dongya's are Made to Order and typically a minimum of 100 pcs, I got lucky and managed to get some samples but they are available from a few retailers.

REFS:
Dongya Electronics Link 1 Dongya Electronics Link 2 If you're interested, the DHV series is NOT LISTED but they can make them up, they are almost identical to the DH200 series BUT are A) Energy Savers & B) Bi-Directional (most important) They cost me $30 USD ea + S&H& Duties/Taxes.

One link of many for TE/Kilovac Relays on E-Bay COM. $39.99 USD But with shopping it you can find cheaper too.

Chargery BMS link for reference, it may not be what you want/need but here for reference, in any case, to make it easier for people looking to learn more. http://chargery.com/BMS8T.asp There are many good BMS' out there that people are using wit great success BUT there are also some pretty crappy ones too, we have several threads on varius Known Good BMS' so the info is here if you look for it.

Hope this helps,
Good Luck
Steve

Steve, I have 3 ShunBin batteries, still in use after 6 months but now have new BMS's.. I think I lucked out after reading all of the horror stories. I have drawn down the 12.5kw total capacity bank to 8kw and still remain above 12.8v so these are about average with everyone else's capacity tests. (~80% of advertised)

Back