diy solar

diy solar

Post your Ground Mount Setup

Have begun our Frankenstein semi-ground mount tracking 3.6kw offgrid array to charge our Ford Lightning, and a 10kw battery bank, and power a Garage Mini-split to be named later... It will all be providing shade to a 3-4 bed, raised bed salad garden with rain-barrel fed, and arduino controlled automatic drip irrigation and single axis tracking, and an anemometer for storm/wind orientation. The system will travel around 30 degrees each way and should increase average solar hours by about 2.5 hours. Jury is out as to how long it takes to repay the tracking system, but we will be tracking the tracking...

It mounts on swivels from the eco-worthy ground mount kit, of which we have two kits, on one end and we're using concrete 4x4 footing blocks and linear actuators for the other end. Still in early testing stage.

Possibly working with Progressive Automations for hall sensor linear actuators so we have positional control of the actuators. We'll see if they want to partner. Using cheap Vevor test units right now, which are working fine. They are a little sketchy, so they are in process of being replaced this weekend with Eco-Worthy actuators, which are much higher quality, for not much more $$$. Just got the 18" Ecoworthy for $39/per on a $10 off sale. The Eco-worthy actuators arrived two weeks earlier than amazon said they would !

It's all about doing it as cheaply as possible, with as quick of system payback through charging the Lightning. Going for 3-4 year payback. It looks doable with used panels from Santan Solar, and a refurbished EG4 6000ex hybrid inverter, and 4x 12v 200ah powerqueen batteries, but may go up to 6 to 8x batteries. Right now, we're at around $4.5k.

I'll be posting a thread in the show and tell section for this project. First two panels are up. Eventually, we may delve into some machine learning with the agrivoltaic side of the project, varying output/orientation to temperature/soil moisture. Picture 8 more panels going down the fence.

PXL_20231018_193626175.jpg

PXL_20231018_193639410.jpg

Last edited:
PXL_20231018_125003425.jpg

I'll get us back on track... Speaking of tracks, the trencher I rented slipped one and this took 5 freaking hours. About 45 minutes digging, the rest repairing.

The concrete guys also spilled a 10ft wide and 8 inch deep pile of concrete I had to sledgehammer through.

Nightmare day in the yard

Looks more like some people are trying to sell water heaters than post about ground mount on this topic?

I moved my panels from my roof to a ground mount after a few years of having to get out on the porch roof to push off snow and we get heavy snow here.

Then I discovered with the right angle and tilt you also get higher production with a ground mount over a poorly situated roof mount and you can use a smaller less expensive system.

I would never go back to roof mount and just a quick brush and my panels are ready for winter sun!

Winter collage.jpg

Looks more like some people are trying to sell water heaters than post about ground mount on this topic?

I moved my panels from my roof to a ground mount after a few years of having to get out on the porch roof to push off snow and we get heavy snow here.

Then I discovered with the right angle and tilt you also get higher production with a ground mount over a poorly situated roof mount and you can use a smaller less expensive system.

I would never go back to roof mount and just a quick brush and my panels are ready for winter sun!

View attachment 173017
Yep good advice and I'm just getting started here but am leaning toward ground mount systems...

Yep good advice and I'm just getting started here but am leaning toward ground mount systems...
I'm hoping to do both. Roof mounted 20-25kw on a shop facing due south (not built yet, so can determine that), and then possibly a pair of smaller ground mount setups, probably one as a sinclair, and the other as a pergola/carport/elevated setup.

We get snow, and normally a decent dump or two, but I can't see me needing to remove snow more than once or twice a year (Indianapolis).

I guess I'm far enough along in my build that I can start posting some pics of my ground mount. Here is 12 bifacials on a pergola that I extended to cover my whole deck:
20231007_150149.jpg

20231007_150202.jpg

20231007_180933.jpg

I have an 18Kpv and 6 lifepower batteries. I'm still waiting on my electrician to wire up the 200a disconnect between the inverter and the meter. Currently the 18kpv is connected to a subpanel that powers my hot tub, CNC and the kitchen double oven.

I guess I'm far enough along in my build that I can start posting some pics of my ground mount. Here is 12 bifacials on a pergola that I extended to cover my whole deck:
View attachment 173019

View attachment 173020

View attachment 173021

I have an 18Kpv and 6 lifepower batteries. I'm still waiting on my electrician to wire up the 200a disconnect between the inverter and the meter. Currently the 18kpv is connected to a subpanel that powers my hot tub, CNC and the kitchen double oven.
Literally read my mind! Simple but effective! What did you use for the strut? Only concern I have is being told not to loop the wires since it's DC current.

CLEAN!!!

View attachment 173019

View attachment 173020

View attachment 173021

Good use of the panels!

I keep my electric mower under one set of panels and electric snow blower under the other set. Make use of that space.

Not all roofs are suitable for solar so a pergola, shed, workshop, or ground mount may be a better option.

I designed an open side RV cover for some guys with solar panels. Keeps the snow off the RV and they can just pull through and park.

Earlier this year I fabricated a 10kw array comprised of 40x 250 watt panels (5x8). The structure was designed by myself and review/sealed by a P.Eng.

Structure is 1.5” sch 40 pipe, panels are back bolted to 2x2 square steel tube. The entire structure is anchored to 12x helical screw piles driven 8’ deep.

After fabrication but before installation I had all the steel media blasted and hot dip galvanized for longevity.

Attachments

• IMG_8112.jpeg
    IMG_8112.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_8139.png
    IMG_8139.png
    2 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_8141.png
    IMG_8141.png
    2 MB · Views: 115
  • Elevation.jpg
    Elevation.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 97
  • Profile.jpg
    Profile.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Has all the necessary diagonal braces.
My U/LA ground mounts are similar, except rectangular tubes not cables for longitudinal bracing.

Can you provide a closeup of the "T" connections?

How much galvanizing, and what cost?
I've observed galvanized structure materials is a significant premium over plain steel.

Has all the necessary diagonal braces.
My U/LA ground mounts are similar, except rectangular tubes not cables for longitudinal bracing.

Can you provide a closeup of the "T" connections?

How much galvanizing, and what cost?
I've observed galvanized structure materials is a significant premium over plain steel.
Blasting was $200/hr and the zinc was $0.70 per lb (multiply by the weigh in). My array was 1,728lbs so $1,209 (Cad)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-19 201255.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-10-19 201255.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 25
Priced by weight of steel being galvanized, not by weight of zinc applied or surface area!
More economical if just for brackets, and pipes were bought galvanized (unless it was cheaper than the premium for galvanized pipe.)

So Tee with triangular gusset is bolted through pipe?
Have to drill in situ or measure and drill correctly in advance.

My steel Unirac Tee were pipe slipped over upright and held with setscrew, welded flat plate on top, U-bolt over cross pipe.
Later ones were injection molded aluminum with set screws. Slipped over horizontal as well, with set screws.
Easier to field fit, totally catawampus in my case.

I have plans to reorient and expand my arrays to fit newer, larger, more efficient panels. I'll probably just play erector set with what I've got, and add struts to support longer horizontals.

Priced by weight of steel being galvanized, not by weight of zinc applied or surface area!
More economical if just for brackets, and pipes were bought galvanized (unless it was cheaper than the premium for galvanized pipe.)

So Tee with triangular gusset is bolted through pipe?
Have to drill in situ or measure and drill correctly in advance.

My steel Unirac Tee were pipe slipped over upright and held with setscrew, welded flat plate on top, U-bolt over cross pipe.
Later ones were injection molded aluminum with set screws. Slipped over horizontal as well, with set screws.
Easier to field fit, totally catawampus in my case.

I have plans to reorient and expand my arrays to fit newer, larger, more efficient panels. I'll probably just play erector set with what I've got, and add struts to support longer horizontals.
Only the horizontals are drilled in-situ but because the three horizontal levels are identical (*and all T-connection holes are CNC laser cut) it could all be drilled at the lowest level..

* I had all the gussets, brackets, weldments, and tabs CNC laser cut to save time and for consistency.

Blasting was $200/hr and the zinc was $0.70 per lb (multiply by the weigh in). My array was 1,728lbs so $1,209 (Cad)
Do you have total cost including the steel and parts needed to put it together? Wondering how it compares to a Sinclair mount which has all of the steel galvanized as well.

Do you have total cost including the steel and parts needed to put it together? Wondering how it compares to a Sinclair mount which has all of the steel galvanized as well.
$5000 which including shipping for my 40 panel array from Sinclair.

Array was $3,000 shipping $2,000.
During Covid so shipping was outrageous.
Not sure what it would be now.

Back