diy solar

diy solar

Predator or Champion?

Those ez spouts with a vent are so satisfying. Dump and done. No drip; no spills; no mess.

In this regard, the old ways were better.

Though paying $15 bucks for a plastic spout is nutso.

Those are exactly what I used. I see they no longer are calling them "water" spouts lol.

Take a new idiot jug and make it old..

Or gut the idiot spout and add the vent.

VP racing FTW.

Added the metal Jerry cans to my list of needs.

"Fix your gas can" :ROFLMAO:

Video shows how to drill a vent hole, drive in pluggable vent, replace nozzle.
Leaving you with an old-school plastic gas can.

Mine were aged by the sun and cracking, which is why I went shopping for something good.

Same. And they can be had reasonably at CalRanch!
Now those are new to me…but I think I like them….they appear to based on the concept that all you need to have a gas can is “a can , a hole and a connected hose”..

From the pic I see , no valving or knobs or whatever…it appears to have some type quick connect thingamajig at the spout end ….there must be more than Im thinking….

Is this made so I can just tilt it and gas would flow out and not leak ….?

I use and like these all metal military style gas cans.
I wonder how much quality difference there is among these various jerry cans. I know the red Midwest Can Company version at Harbor Freight get good reviews for being sturdy, having good welds, and being coated inside. The ones you linked are about half the price as those--any idea if the ones in that ebay listing are comparable?

I wonder how much quality difference there is among these various jerry cans. I know the red Midwest Can Company version at Harbor Freight get good reviews for being sturdy, having good welds, and being coated inside. The ones you linked are about half the price as those--any idea if the ones in that ebay listing are comparable?
Good question…. Call me crazy ,but I seem to remember a time you could just go buy a gas can and it just worked…all of em …..everytime… no research… no study …
Things have sure changed…

Sure theres downsides to leaded avgas but it was recommended for someone storing gas for a long time. Theres not much fuel choices out there that can be stored for any length of time, let alone 15 years and Avgas is available at your local airport for maybe a dollar per gallon more than premium. Its a fantastic option for storing emergency generator fuel.

The small amount of volume burned in a generator wont ever be an issue.

If you use alot of gas, you probably dont sit on it it for very long so just go get some reg 87.

Here are some alternatives.

If you keep gasoline in a sealed container ( I use a small drum ) and you add fuel stabilizer to it and you rotate your fuel you don;t need any of that.
Every time I need to mow the lawn I do it with fuel from this drum.
I symphony off 2 1/2 gallons, I top off with the same fresh from where ever I am buying gas these days.
Sometimes I pull sometimes I pour some ion my car so I can refresh the drum with a few gallons every month.
Gas will be good forever as long as I do that.
To the left is a gold coloured generator.
That's Honda with a fuel pump bolted to a Kohler generator.
I connect the fuel line and thats about as much fuel as I will need to run that little set for days maybe a week if I ration carefully

1716334287514.jpeg

Lets say I hear there will be a tornado warning blizzard ice storm and I get scared...
I can go out by another 10 gallons of gas to sit on in some septre gas cans.
I've never needed it but I have it and then I just draw 5 gallons off from the drum to refuel my car and another 5 gallons next time I need to refill it again...
Now that drum is very well refreshed and I don't need to worry about old fuel.

That little drum will also fit in my trunk.
If I had too I could go to a gas station and fill the drum and bring it home ( about 16 gallons )

Yes you can buy military style Gerry cans but they are not drums....
A can is easy to steal but someone will think twice about trying to run down the street with a drum.

Check the Hazard Fraught Price Tracker

That sounds like a bit lower than previous sales.

Note that customer-facing website is often incorrect. May show 1 in stock but it is the floor model and not for sale. Calling gives better results, and they can check other stores for you.
Snoop around.
Half the price twice the quality...

Now those are new to me…but I think I like them….they appear to based on the concept that all you need to have a gas can is “a can , a hole and a connected hose”..

From the pic I see , no valving or knobs or whatever…it appears to have some type quick connect thingamajig at the spout end ….there must be more than Im thinking….

Is this made so I can just tilt it and gas would flow out and not leak ….?
IMG_3715.jpeg

IMG_3714.jpeg

White, red, blue, yellow. None of the nanny stuff, no leaking.

Here are some alternatives.

If you keep gasoline in a sealed container ( I use a small drum ) and you add fuel stabilizer to it and you rotate your fuel you don;t need any of that.
Every time I need to mow the lawn I do it with fuel from this drum.
I symphony off 2 1/2 gallons, I top off with the same fresh from where ever I am buying gas these days.
Sometimes I pull sometimes I pour some ion my car so I can refresh the drum with a few gallons every month.
Gas will be good forever as long as I do that.
To the left is a gold coloured generator.
That's Honda with a fuel pump bolted to a Kohler generator.
I connect the fuel line and thats about as much fuel as I will need to run that little set for days maybe a week if I ration carefully

View attachment 216883

Lets say I hear there will be a tornado warning blizzard ice storm and I get scared...
I can go out by another 10 gallons of gas to sit on in some septre gas cans.
I've never needed it but I have it and then I just draw 5 gallons off from the drum to refuel my car and another 5 gallons next time I need to refill it again...
Now that drum is very well refreshed and I don't need to worry about old fuel.

That little drum will also fit in my trunk.
If I had too I could go to a gas station and fill the drum and bring it home ( about 16 gallons )

Yes you can buy military style Gerry cans but they are not drums....
A can is easy to steal but someone will think twice about trying to run down the street with a drum.
Non flamable emergency gas?
$103 for 5 gallons of VP?
No thanks!

Btw, adding fresh gas to old gas does not refresh it. You just have a slurry of old and new. You should have 2 of those barrels, and completely empty one, then tap into the other and keep the rotation.

I have been an aircraft mechanic for 19 years. I regularly work on planes from the 50's and 60's to current that have only had Avgas in them from day 1, on top of that running non detergent oil... A few companies are trying to develop a unleaded version of avgas but they simply cant come up with a 1 for 1 replacement without sacrifice to octane rating and shelf life.

Just saying, for STORING gas, for a generator or any other small engine you cant beat Avgas. It does not break down, it does not have phase separation. Its cheap and widely available.

Side note: I also occasionally run JetA in my 2005 Cummins, currently at 360k miles, mpg actually goes up on JetA and will not gel in the cold 😁

Like I said, Heavy use for over 10 years and they are still work great.

So yesterday got the gas can out to fill the mower. The one with my age-old EZ pour spout was empty so I used one of the others with a squeeze button. Now these worked ok when I first got them, but they now leak a bit. Well, yesterday, it didn't just leak "a bit" it went EVERYWHERE. All over the mower, my hands, and in the yard. Uh huh. More EZ pour spouts on the way. No more crap.

So yesterday got the gas can out to fill the mower. The one with my age-old EZ pour spout was empty so I used one of the others with a squeeze button. Now these worked ok when I first got them, but they now leak a bit. Well, yesterday, it didn't just leak "a bit" it went EVERYWHERE. All over the mower, my hands, and in the yard. Uh huh. More EZ pour spouts on the way. No more crap.

Lately out of frustration I have started unscrewing the whole top assembly off the cans and just poured gas out of the big hole of the tank into the big hole in the riding mower or push mower…duhhh….

its easy Not to spill it ..it doesn’t leak ..it’s like pouring milk into a glass…it’s simple …it works ….it safe enough for me……

Lately out of frustration I have started unscrewing the whole top assembly off the cans and just poured gas out of the big hole of the tank into the big hole in the riding mower or push mower…duhhh….

its easy Not to spill it ..it doesn’t leak ..it’s like pouring milk into a glass…it’s simple …it works ….it safe enough for me……
A jiggle hose is my go-to method of gas transfer

I have been an aircraft mechanic for 19 years. I regularly work on planes from the 50's and 60's to current that have only had Avgas in them from day 1, on top of that running non detergent oil

You just highlighted some of the differences between aero engines and modern engines.
One being the low stress parts and lose tolerances by design to prevent failure and break downs.
Your burning a lot of oil.
Most are designed to burn THAT fuel exclusively and use those types of oil.
Something like Aero shell 100 is designed to burn and not foul plugs ( I use it myself as top end lube mixed in fuel and as a fogging oil )

Yes I agree 100LL is high quality and cheap fuel.
I just hate the lead and there is a lot of it in so called low lead fuel.

You've succinctly described everything happening when I'm just finishing up peeing and a fart sneaks out... jiggle hose and gas transfer...
Early mornings I get up and wonder do I really need to pee or or is my prostate going to give me a hard time.
Sometimes I get more gas that urine, no matter how hard I push...
Sometimes I have trouble telling gasses from solids...

I have requested a funnel package for father's day. All the different sized and shapes. I just want to pour my gas from a gas can to a tank, be it on my lawn mower or my generator. The "as the wind blows" designs they come up with suck or work for a year or two then the gaskets turn to hard plastic.

One being the low stress parts and lose tolerances by design to prevent failure and break downs
……Hmmmmmm. Sounds alot like an AK… lots of slack…bold parts … runs forever…
A little maintence very rarely..
Does what ya need… when ya need it…simplicity..
I like that concept.

……Hmmmmmm. Sounds alot like an AK… lots of slack…bold parts … runs forever…
A little maintence very rarely..
Does what ya need… when ya need it…simplicity..
I like that concept.
Not really close an AK was made for a pig farmer to maintain.
An Aero engine is a precision instrument, but the tolerances are wide to prevent it from seizing if it over heats for example and it is designed to burn a kind of fuel and use a kind of oil that we just would not use in any other engine.
The fuel the lubricants the construction are all about not have it fail in the air....
But the oil and lubricants are really not suitable or at least intended for a car or a generator.

diy solar

diy solar
Back