diy solar

diy solar

Prepping for impending grid outage

If you like fiction and want to read a series of books on the results of an EMP, internet search for author "William Forstchen".
Takes place in Black Mountain/Montreat North Carolina.

Couple of hours from me and I had to drive up there just to see the community. Pretty much as described in the books.
I really enjoyed the book "one second after". I think everyone on here should read it!

If you like fiction and want to read a series of books on the results of an EMP, internet search for author "William Forstchen".
Takes place in Black Mountain/Montreat North Carolina.

Couple of hours from me and I had to drive up there just to see the community. Pretty much as described in the books.

Thanks for the reading tip! Downloaded the first of the series 👍

Jim

We would figure it out. In 2020 store shelves actually got a bit bare, and none of that "oh as soon as the shelves look empty, all hell will break loose" stuff turned out to be true. People just said ok no chicken or beans today, we'll figure out something else.

Water system has generators, gas stations have generators, we'd get by.
Perfect example of normalcy bias. Store shelves get bare during every winter storm and hurricane. Nothing ground to a halt during 2020; the shelves were empty because of panic buying not real shortages.
Unfortunately, the DOD disagrees with "we will get by".

I am a bit more worried about water from the TX example a few years ago when a few of the municipal water supplies shut down for lack of power.
Have a pool but might need to look at some of those filters to make sure it is drinkable.
Rainwater capture with a good UV and Filtration system should work well. check this out: https://pioneerwatertanksamerica.com/

Reality has a normalcy bias. The best way to prevent an EMP is with a nuclear deterrent, which is why I support the arsenal modernization.
Obviously the nuclear retaliation threat is limited to nuclear strikes in which we are certain of their origin. That doesn't deter cyber attacks, rogue nations, terrorist groups, and of course, the sun.

That doesn't deter cyber attacks, rogue nations, terrorist groups, and of course, the sun.
I have less belief that a cyber attack or rogue nation is capable of inflicting a prolonged grid wide outage. We detonated nukes above ground it wasn't causing outages. You need very large, complex, specialized EMP nukes to do it that only Russia or China or we can make. Mainly us and Russia, but China has the footing to get there sooner or later.

As for sun EMP's, I worry about them about as much as being obliterated by an asteroid. This ain't the first solar cycle the grid has seen.

I have less belief that a cyber attack or rogue nation is capable of inflicting a prolonged grid wide outage. We detonated nukes above ground it wasn't causing outages. You need very large, complex, specialized EMP nukes to do it that only Russia or China or we can make. Mainly us and Russia, but China has the footing to get there sooner or later.

As for sun EMP's, I worry about them about as much as being obliterated by an asteroid. This ain't the first solar cycle the grid has seen.
I expect no less from a coastal Californian. 🤣

I've lost a few front-load washers with error messages on their electronic display.
Those could be vulnerable to transients on the power line.

Top load washers from yesteryear had electromechanical timers. Same for refrigerators.

The inductor saturation effect EMP's near DC component has on transformers might also affect induction motors in those appliances. I think small enough fuses/breakers could protect them, but especially for refrigerators, the branch circuit breaker rating is high compared to motor.

Furnace, besides its motor, has electronic control board and thermostat powered by transformer. The transformer would be vulnerable to DC. The electronics might be, perhaps due to length of thermostat wire.

That will all be solved as Cali raises the minimum wage to $75 per hour. It'll all be fine.

Minimum wage for a Goat Herder in California is $168k/year.

Good news is he will finally be able to afford a house, rather than that shack he lives in while supervising his goats.

Bad news is the company which provides environmentally friendly weed control won't be able to continue operations when that gets imposed (this year?) and will have to send him back to Peru.

I used to do a lot of prepping (for the long term) back in the day. However after years of research (and thinking about it logically), I have come to the conclusion that it is mostly a waste of time. Unless you live in an uncharted area and have a continuous source of food and water, having electricity is not going to do much. In a total breakdown of society, people will come and take what you think was yours. I laugh at some of the preppers who stock ammo, not for self defense but to barter with. Who in their right mind would trade away the very thing that would be used to take what you have left?

But mostly I don't think people fully understand the full consequences of something like the grid being down for a month or more.

I have enough heirloom and freedom seeds. As long as I continue to have water, I’ll be fine (or I won’t be and it won’t matter 🤣)

Last edited:
As for sun EMP's, I worry about them about as much as being obliterated by an asteroid. This ain't the first solar cycle the grid has seseen.
Carrington event of 1859 are estimated to happen every 500 years, on average. It is not unusual for 100 year events (in other contexts) to happen in back to back years. Large CME's are frequent, but pointing at Earth is rare. Could be unlucky with one pointing at us soon. Or, it could be another 500 years.

We would figure it out. In 2020 store shelves actually got a bit bare, and none of that "oh as soon as the shelves look empty, all hell will break loose" stuff turned out to be true. People just said ok no chicken or beans today, we'll figure out something else.

Water system has generators, gas stations have generators, we'd get by.
Gens don’t work after EMP attacks

Perfect example of normalcy bias. Store shelves get bare during every winter storm and hurricane. Nothing ground to a halt during 2020; the shelves were empty because of panic buying not real shortages.
Unfortunately, the DOD disagrees with "we will get by".
It is one thing to have trust in the system to eventually replenish - panic buying of toilet paper, but no riots because it would eventually be available. If the supply chain is down because the entire east coast grid is down for months ... that is a different ballgame.

Back