diy solar

diy solar

RESOLVED: EG4 6500EX and 6000EX Lights Flickering FIRMWARE

Me no comprende...is the firmware that is out there now the fix?
Yes, our site has the firmware described here if you are having issues with flickering, be aware that some LEDs do not pair well with any inverters and minor flickering happens on all mainstream inverters in our lab, as well as the grid if the LED driver is cheap

Anxious to hear how this update is doing. There is a guy who posted a video on YT that was upset about this issue and switched back to MPP inverters because of this flickering issue. Some may have already seen it. Thank you SS for getting on this!
I’m likely that “guy”. ? SS already refunded me in full. Still really happy to see they found a remedy. I know they are also. That couldn’t have been easy. By their description it sounded like an Episode of NCIS.

Yes, our site has the firmware described her if you are having issues with flickering
It looks like there's 2 different folders inside the 6500 firmware download now. In the video you guys released about updating firmware (regarding the Error 61 issue) there was only 1 folder. Are we supposed to do something with both folders?

I’m likely that “guy”. ? SS already refunded me in full. Still really happy to see they found a remedy. I know they are also. That couldn’t have been easy. By their description it sounded like an Episode of NCIS.
Thanks for being understanding, this can be tough but it’s our job and we have near 200 people working here trying to take care of you guys and get better as they try.

Yes, our site has the firmware described here if you are having issues with flickering, be aware that some LEDs do not pair well with any inverters and minor flickering happens on all mainstream inverters in our lab, as well as the grid if the LED driver is cheap
It really only flickers when a load starts up, but the main issue is my heat pump going bonkers along with the EG4. I'm hoping this fixes it but I doubt it. Mine was shipped late Oct though.

It really only flickers when a load starts up, but the main issue is my heat pump going bonkers along with the EG4. I'm hoping this fixes it but I doubt it. Mine was shipped late Oct though.
What kind of 'bonkers' are we talking? Sounds scary!

What kind of 'bonkers' are we talking? Sounds scary!
The amps go up and down at the heat pump and solar assistant shows the watts spiking up and down. The heat pump will make weird noises until I turn another high load on for 10 secs or more depending on the amount of solar coming in. My only solution so far is to use relays to turn on a heat strip for 10 secs but that is only effective if 3k or solar, more and it needs to stay on longer. Instead I got a split unit heat pump to see if it does it, and it does not. When I had MPP lvx the fix was just a simple cap at the AC output. Did not work for the EG4.

The amps go up and down at the heat pump and solar assistant shows the watts spiking up and down. The heat pump will make weird noises until I turn another high load on for 10 secs or more depending on the amount of solar coming in. My only solution so far is to use relays to turn on a heat strip for 10 secs but that is only effective if 3k or solar, more and it needs to stay on longer. Instead I got a split unit heat pump to see if it does it, and it does not. When I had MPP lvx the fix was just a simple cap at the AC output. Did not work for the EG4.
We want details and info if you can share, sounds bad with or without a cap, have you tried any other heat pump?

We want details and info if you can share, sounds bad with or without a cap, have you tried any other heat pump?
Yeah I bought a Pioneer 120v split unit one and it runs fine, but it only pulls 400w when it gets going. Than again the split unit is not a traditional heat pump as it is inverter based. My geo heatpump pulls 1800w and 240v, not inverter type. I'm thinking the wave form probably looks bad but I haven't bought a scope to check it. If I had to do it over again I would've kept my MPP LVX.

Yeah I bought a Pioneer 120v split unit one and it runs fine, but it only pulls 400w when it gets going. Than again the split unit is not a traditional heat pump as it is inverter based. My geo heatpump pulls 1800w and 240v, not inverter type. I'm thinking the wave form probably looks bad but I haven't bought a scope to check it. If I had to do it over again I would've kept my MPP LVX.
I hear you, it just defies logic, have a pioneer 120v at home, I tested these at my place over 9 months before we launched.

It looks like there's 2 different folders inside the 6500 firmware download now. In the video you guys released about updating firmware (regarding the Error 61 issue) there was only 1 folder. Are we supposed to do something with both folders?
I hope SS replies on this. It's very confusing. THe MCU flash was the only one that worked. The INVreflash failed as did the DSP reflash. Results here: 1676006506665.png
and this: 1676006539572.png

Thank you for the honesty, transparency, and ownership in the first post. Working in manufacturing as a tier 1 supplier I completely understand how these things can happen and the chaos they create.
Great problem solving and corrective actions so far. Way to go, going to the gemba and getting shit done.
SS is back on my list of potential suppliers for my upcoming upgrades.
Keep pushing forward.
indeed, this is what a proper triage looks like !

We are releasing a firmware update on our website and here in this post that resolves the flickering light issue on the most recent batch of EG4 6000 and 6500 inverters.
How does it resolve it? BTW, from what I saw it was not a flickering light issue but a lights cycling off and on issue.

Your post explanation of
Our units are specced with exclusive money-saving added features but this issue came down to Rectifier management; the firmware starved the rectifier by not allowing battery power to be prioritized on a board level. This caused the rectifier in PV charge and some grid circumstances to shift frequency slightly and make lights flicker.
sounds like grand gobbledygook. Although I am sure everyone was happy to hear that your units are specced with money-saving features.

I guess the proof will be in the pudding. If the firmware change (whatever that was) has stopped the LED light cycling problem it will become known.

I have an 6000ex, Bought it on October 2022 (Black connector). I did an firmware updated which removed the error 61 fault. When PV is charging / supplying to the loads, my leds do "flcker". The higher the PV charge / wattage is it becomes more visible.

I have an 6000ex, Bought it on October 2022 (Black connector). I did an firmware updated which removed the error 61 fault. When PV is charging / supplying to the loads, my leds do "flcker". The higher the PV charge / wattage is it becomes more visible.
Same but EX6500 (June 2022 model). I addition to the flickering, I also notice AC output fluctuation. Both increase as PV increases. After 100% SOC both really pick up. In this screenshot the AC fluctuation is very noticeable during the transitions from night to charging to 100% SOC.

Also, when the boiler blower motor is going some lights flicker. @SignatureSolarJames

My issues are currently under review at SS.

02072023 PV 100 SOC AC Flux Small.jpg

I think EG4 should labeled their FW updates better. It would be better to track the latest FW from previous ones. At least on the 6000ex I cannot see the FW update version I did on the screen. The dates on some of the files I see on the current folder seem to be recent. I'll try to do it today with the one currently on the EG4 site. Hopefully it will go smoothly as the previous one I did.

I had not seen this post before I started, however I happened to apply the latest firmware last night. I didn't have any flickering to start with, however I also only had 1 LED light as a load for testing. What I did see however, is that in UPS mode the switch from grid to battery and back again was significantly improved. I was on 79.20 prior to the update.

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/n...f-but-wheres-the-changelog.54978/#post-704324

Please see my question - where can I find a changelog for each firmware update?

The idle wattage is confirmed at 80-85W (1.8 amp), if anybody sees more please use a shunt meter and share with us.
We may improve with firmware soon

I'm installing my smart shunt this afternoon; I'll share the results. Thanks again for staying on top of things!!!

Back