diy solar

diy solar

RESOLVED: EG4 6500EX and 6000EX Lights Flickering FIRMWARE

Just did the updates on the 6500EX. I'd like to share a few observations.
1) After hours of trying to get the update done I finally succeeded by purchasing the USB to Serial (RS232) adapter cable.
2) I still have a very bad flicker in my LR flood lights (a set of 8 LED lights). At times they even turn off for a few seconds.
3) Because of #2 above (fear of flicker) I removed my refrigerator (it's new) and entertainment center from the 6500 and have them on grid now.
All my network, security and computer backup systems are on the 6500. All those systems are on their own UPS that helps to clean power. In addition, I think the flicker causes my UPS system to trigger (turn on and supply power) maybe once a day. I'm now thinking it's because of dirty power.

In summary, I hope it's not dirty power and that SS fixes these issues soon. Maybe someone with an oscilloscope can check to see what's going on with the inverter. Also I have a lot of Hue and LIFX bulbs and I don't see an issue with them. The LR lights are years old and so is the variable light switches (it's a 3 way switch).

Any advise is appreciated.
tsp
I have 2 EX6500, spring 2022 units, the update didn't resolve their three big issues that I can test:

- Flickering lights when PV charging, then strobing at 100% SOC;
- Both displays report incorrect AC output voltage which fluctuates between 119-121V while PV charging; however, the voltmeter shows actual range of 119.9-120.2V;
- After charged to 100% SOC the voltmeter records actual AC voltage output fluctuations of 120.6-121.9V while the units display incorrect AC voltage output and fluctuations between 115-137V.

Once PV/MPPT is done for the day, the displays are steady at 120V, voltmeter reports no AC voltage fluctuation, and lights do not flicker or strobe.

Anyone else have similar issues?

115V 2P1 121V 2P2 small.jpg121.8V VM 2P1 139V small.jpg02122023 PV and AC Output small.jpg

Around 250VOC and 200Vmp. Should be good.

I see inverter 1 does get above 8Kw input? These are rated for 4Kw per MPPT.

Around 250VOC and 200Vmp. Should be good.

I see inverter 1 does get above 8Kw input? These are rated for 4Kw per MPPT.
That is the total PV you are referencing as inverter 1, if you look closely you will see that the two inverters are overlapped and at 1300 they diverge because the batteries and load no longer are able to use full PV.

You should not ever see spikes like that on the output. I would have sent those back long ago.
I see spikes like those when I had MPP solar and my latest EG4, but only when I use the heat pump. MPP was fixed with a cap, EG4 no good fix yet. Although going with split unit heat pump no issues.

I see spikes like those when I had MPP solar and my latest EG4, but only when I use the heat pump. MPP was fixed with a cap, EG4 no good fix yet. Although going with split unit heat pump no issues.
It seems this is a problem for Voltronic units in general. As to which units will have this flickering problem. It depends on what component was used in one versus another and apparently there is no one unit that has high quality components. I still have the light flickering issue with my LVX6048WP.

The spikes are on the displays and SA which reports what the inverter displays. Those are not what is actually happening because the voltmeter shows the true voltage. Look at the photo with the display showing 139V…the voltmeter reads 121.8V.

Marvelous, reasons for the issues found. A simple firmware update fix, hopefully. Great News.

That is the total PV you are referencing as inverter 1, if you look closely you will see that the two inverters are overlapped and at 1300 they diverge because the batteries and load no longer are able to use full PV.
I see now, should have a different color for total PV. I should have realized the string wattage isn't high enough. :)

I do see the spikes in reported output voltage coincide with spikes on the PV graph. What are you using for a battery and any battery communication?

If USE battery type, what are your charging parameters?

I see now, should have a different color for total PV. I should have realized the string wattage isn't high enough. :)

I do see the spikes in reported output voltage coincide with spikes on the PV graph. What are you using for a battery and any battery communication?

If USE battery type, what are your charging parameters?
Here's color code for you at a micro level of 5-hours and 2-hours rather than the macro level 24-hour. As the time period is shortened SA regurgitates AC output data that more precisely matches what the inverter's display spits out in the videos. The 24-hour period gives a better visual of how the issue progressively worsens through the day.

Six EG4 LP4. USE, 55.5 float, 56.5 absorb.

I am working with SS tech support and @BenFromSignatureSolar on this issue but I now believe at least one inverter (2P1, which is listed as inverter 2 in SA) has unresolvable hardware issues, if not both since 2P2 does the same thing as 2P1 just not as big of swings in range or as often.

Since I'll be home, going to turn off PV to 2P1 after batteries reach 100% SOC and see what happens.

02122023 5-hour level PV and AC Output small.jpg02122023 2-hour level PV and AC Output small.jpg

Reactions: Zwy
The spikes are on the displays and SA which reports what the inverter displays. Those are not what is actually happening because the voltmeter shows the true voltage. Look at the photo with the display showing 139V…the voltmeter reads 121.8V.
Are you saying that the actual output from the inverter is not as bad as the readings show? I'm in my LR right now and I just heard my CyberPower UPS switch in and out at least 10 times in a 20 minute period. It doesn't do this on grid power. I'm assuming it's spikes that switch on the UPS. I'll check the error codes and report back.

Batteries are at 80% and it's mostly sunny with many passing clouds so my solar is spiking often. I'd like to know if the 6500EX is safe to power sensitive equipment. My fridge has it's own breaker so it receives straight power from the EG4. My other concerns are my TV/Audio areas since it's mostly electronic equipment. One uses a Belkin power conditioner and the other has a UPS but they can only do so much imo.

So... is the 6500's power good enough to use on sensitive equipment in your opinion?

TIA
tsp

Are you saying that the actual output from the inverter is not as bad as the readings show? I'm in my LR right now and I just heard my CyberPower UPS switch in and out at least 10 times in a 20 minute period. It doesn't do this on grid power. I'm assuming it's spikes that switch on the UPS. I'll check the error codes and report back.

Batteries are at 80% and it's mostly sunny with many passing clouds so my solar is spiking often. I'd like to know if the 6500EX is safe to power sensitive equipment. My fridge has it's own breaker so it receives straight power from the EG4. My other concerns are my TV/Audio areas since it's mostly electronic equipment. One uses a Belkin power conditioner and the other has a UPS but they can only do so much imo.

So... is the 6500's power good enough to use on sensitive equipment in your opinion?

TIA
tsp
Hmm, I not an electrician, solar tech, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. I'm more of an untrained investigative reporter at the moment.

Hmm, I not an electrician, solar tech, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. I'm more of an untrained investigative reporter at the moment.
Thumbs up! Since you are in contact w SS on this issue I wanted to share additional information with you.

Other than this glitch my system has been running without stopping (or other glitches) for about 1.5 months. Phase 2 is going to 240V if this works.

Thanks for the reply.
tsp

I'd like to know if the 6500EX is safe to power sensitive equipment.
This is my question, too.

Further, does the 240V split phase mode with the EG4 6500s (and other 6548 variants) introduce additional risk to that sensitive equipment (above and beyond power quality issues) when compared to a 120V/240V AIO like Solark or EG4's 6048, or systems like Victron or Schneider that use a standalone inverter?

A bit more data for whoever is working with SS for a solution for this issue. I put a meter on an outlet for a few hours this morning. It was late morning so the sun was already high and steady. My small inside UPS system had already stopped switching on and off but I wanted to record max and min voltage readings anyway. The readings... Max=123.0V Min=114.6 The system was set to SBU and running off solar but not sure if the battery ever kicked in during a high demand period.

Once again, I'm more interested in how the sine wave looks. I'm assuming this voltage swing is not a big issue (but I don't know for sure).

tsp
PS: The circuit tested had no high demand equipment on it. Normally runs at about 80-100 watts. Of course the 6500 was running 7 other circuits in the house.

Attachments

• B740AD8F-6CBB-41B8-A8B3-9CE831D21EBE_1_105_c.jpeg
    B740AD8F-6CBB-41B8-A8B3-9CE831D21EBE_1_105_c.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 1
  • FD55620D-F4BB-45C6-8EA0-7ED065971F6F_1_105_c.jpeg
    FD55620D-F4BB-45C6-8EA0-7ED065971F6F_1_105_c.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 1
I have three EG4 6000's each one has a different voltage output.....116, 122, 118 etc at the same time. Also the Hz is different on all three 59.8, 60, 60.1.....constantly fluctuating. Don't know what it does to refrigerators and computers but it plays hell with incandescent lights.

I have three EG4 6000's each one has a different voltage output.....116, 122, 118 etc at the same time. Also the Hz is different on all three 59.8, 60, 60.1.....constantly fluctuating. Don't know what it does to refrigerators and computers but it plays hell with incandescent lights.
Scott - is this AFTER you installed the supposedly latest 6000 firmware update of yesterday (which is the same number and size as the one from 2/10/23)????

Back