diy solar

diy solar

Seems MPP dropped a new inverter...a split phase 10KW

Oh I see. So not true ac coupling where this inverter can throttle a pv inverter but you can add another inverter as the grid and get another 5kw, actually 24/7 if your want.
I suppose you could go 24/7 if adding batteries. For a business open 8 to 5 daily that can have some surge loads like mine, it could be a good option to utilize.

I can't recall if it was you or another member mentioned using a GW 11Kw grid tie feeding into a cheap inverter that could AC couple. Might even be this thread. I had not really paid any attention to AC coupling threads until then. It certainly gained my interest considering my current planning stage for my shop.

I suppose you could go 24/7 if adding batteries. For a business open 8 to 5 daily that can have some surge loads like mine, it could be a good option to utilize.

I can't recall if it was you or another member mentioned using a GW 11Kw grid tie feeding into a cheap inverter that could AC couple. Might even be this thread. I had not really paid any attention to AC coupling threads until then. It certainly gained my interest considering my current planning stage for my shop.
I ac couple my growatt 11kw to my sunny islands so during the day, my sunny islands really don't run because the growatt is usually carrying all the load.
I know a couple of other guys who have their growatts ac coupled to solarks and even another growatt but I'm not familiar with anyone coupling them with cheap inverters. I think something would blow up if you couldn't throttle the output

You should hear the stories from engineers who design a product using a spec'd material, then the bean counters come in wanting to use something cheaper. Usually it fails testing.......
Yeah, I have lived some of those stories...in the past.
Sometimes those that count beans (or worse, the "medling"-managers AKA middle management) are so sure of themselves, "we will save so much money" - yeah later we see all the money thrown at fixing the unexpected problems that came out of those 'cost saving' measures. I can laugh about it today, but at the time I was pretty damn angry.

I ac couple my growatt 11kw to my sunny islands so during the day, my sunny islands really don't run because the growatt is usually carrying all the load.
I know a couple of other guys who have their growatts ac coupled to solarks and even another growatt but I'm not familiar with anyone coupling them with cheap inverters. I think something would blow up if you couldn't throttle the output
It was you in this post. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/m...kw-aio-at-intersolar-today.76840/post-1001349 If AC coupled, would it require a constant AC source?

Reactions: Zwy
I guess the next question is: who crawls out of the doghouse first. Voltronics or megarevo 🤣

I am sure it is a lot more complex than that. Who makes the parts that go into the subassemblies that go into the main boards that go into Inverter X - but a few months later due to a shortage we switch to different supplier, for a few parts, then switch back.

Possibly but I'm currently very happy with my SRNE.
I'm following all of the new models closely since my next purchase will be something that is able to be ran in parallel, my only complaint about the current generation split phase ASF.

I would have to do some digging back through threads but I'm 99% certain updates were required to get some features dialed in correctly when they first released.

If I were a reseller trying to make a living absolutely not until I personally tested them and put them through the ringer. As already mentioned in the thread it isn't logical because MPP competes with it's distributors.
If I were a consumer with an addiction looking for a solid 'budget' model so I could dump more money in storage and generation, absolutely I'd gamble with one.
They tested the first batches, then they kept getting worse and worse. The first batch was great and I loved my 6500ex. No issues at all.

Ecoflow sells direct and through distributors and no one seems to mind that. But yes, with lower volume solar gear, I would prefer no direct sales as Dexter said. Especially when selling direct was giving sales etc.

They informed me on Jan 21st it would be available in a month.

They told me 10Kw and that was SRNE on Alibaba. I used the SRNE store.

You and me both. If I monetized my Youtube channel I could afford testing. :)

Not happening, I do it for fun and to show others ideas to use plus share information like this forum.
Monetization of solar videos makes nothing. I don't even count the income because it's so little.

And that's why I started making solar videos too. I kept having Chinese inverters and other devices fail on me. Never thought it would make any income.

I am sure it is a lot more complex than that. Who makes the parts that go into the subassemblies that go into the main boards that go into Inverter X - but a few months later due to a shortage we switch to different supplier, for a few parts, then switch back.
Yes very true and during COVID lots of crazy stuff happened with supply chains with solar equipment. I heard so many wild stories. The hardware was coming from wherever people could get it and throwing it into the products.

Personally I think it is more of a publicity stunt to promote his move to 6000XP's and the affiliate links he will get paid for.
That's some kind of a joke, right??? I wasted over $4000 and a year-worth of my very limited time trying to get things working/built that were advertised from the start and now have to rip it all out and pretty much start over because the inverters I bought less than 2 years ago have already been discontinued.

I commented that I would gladly take these inverters and how I used the EG4 MPPT's to be able to use higher voltage PV but he deleted it.
I have not deleted a single comment on that video. I do not delete comments unless they are bot spam or highly offensive (racism, hate, etc).

Things are not always what they might seem when it comes to marketing, influencers and affiliations. Very few will run their channel like I run mine without those factors influencing the videos. I won't monetize my channel, it is there to just share ideas about what I did on my systems in a video format as forums like this can't always convey the idea well.
......... sounds like a very special channel you have there sir

I don't need fancy production, a script and affiliations to keep it going.
Are you sure you're not mixing my channel up with something else? My "fancy production" literally consists of one camera, one microphone, and maybe a few jotted down notes ahead of time.

No the big issue with voltronic is that they got worse over time. The hardware and software. They did things without telling signature solar. and even their new releases had issues. They are not very competitive and in the last few years their products got worse while everyone got substantially better.

Especially for their price point. Idle consumption went up, board components swapped without telling anyone, defective unit rate went up etc. That is why people like the older models still and they work fine. The company has gone down hill, in my opinion.

It seems to be a lack of proper engineering in my opinion. They are looking at a particular feature and doing whatever they can to implement said feature as quickly and cheaply as possible. The original LV6548 is rock-solid and if it had been thought through a little better from the start, they would have had a winning, long-lasting product. Instead, we have 4-5 revisions, all of which have some kind of issue or something missing. It's very sad... Furthermore, instead of focusing on a few models, they just keep releasing more and more and more.

Yes very true and during COVID lots of crazy stuff happened with supply chains with solar equipment. I heard so many wild stories. The hardware was coming from wherever people could get it and throwing it into the products.
I am sure, at the time, there were few options.
With that behind them, I wonder how the 12kW/10kW unit will do, if they can focus on other new products and learn from past mis-steps.
Ultimately we (the users) want to see new products, better efficiency, new features...and lower price.

Monetization of solar videos makes nothing. I don't even count the income because it's so little.
Interesting, I never looked at what monetization pays. I see some You Tubers out there living off the income from videos and affiliations. For me it wouldn't matter, I spend too much time making a short video and editing. Its a hobby like belonging here and sharing information.

And that's why I started making solar videos too. I kept having Chinese inverters and other devices fail on me. Never thought it would make any income.
Another channel I watched long ago would push products to the limit to see if they would fail. Some were interesting but after awhile that gets stale.

Yeah, a YT'er has to switch things up, keep it interesting.
I recall we saw some of Will's battery tear-down vids, some of the companies with the worst battery builds initially had far better build quality a year later.
The only way to know the MPP 10kW quality is test it.

Back