diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar Tech Support...Ghosting?

You have a point, some of those terminals are extremely close to the metalwork of the inverter and if you don't have fully shrouded probes it would be very easy to cause a short.
Yeah, or have unshrouded probes cross accidentally.
Next time you could set your phone up and record a video then take a screenshot with the relevant information.
It's to bad these inverters don't just work.
This is a good idea and would save me having to press the shutter button, but getting an angle where it was clear the probes were touching the PV terminals took some moving around because there's a few wires and what I think is a toroid on each terminal set, which I definitely WILL NOT be messing with at 450V DC.

Big Clives latest YouTube video shows a fun short circuit with a bonus follow-up explosion LOL
Yeah electricity is not to be messed with.

Get a set of hook probes or alligator probes. Have a real set of gloves. If you have proper gloves you can grab energized wires at 450V. Insulation on wires is not magic. It's just plastic or silicone and they make gloves from it too.

It is hilarious to me that people touch wires every single day, but freak out when they see an exposed wire. Plug in a dryer or electric stove. That's 30A-50A of 240V in your hand live under 1/8" of rubber.

42051212.jpg

Get a set of hook probes or alligator probes. Have a real set of gloves. If you have proper gloves you can grab energized wires at 450V. Insulation on wires is not magic. It's just plastic or silicone and they make gloves from it too.

It is hilarious to me that people touch wires every single day, but freak out when they see an exposed wire. Plug in a dryer or electric stove. That's 30A-50A of 240V in your hand live under 1/8" of rubber.

View attachment 134869
Lol bro, I know my way around wires and electricity well enough to know what to do. This still doesn't change the fact that it's pretty reckless to ask of all that to even start debugging or getting a warranty claim through. I have no issue with having to read these values myself whenever I've had to, but asking someone to very specifically take a picture where you can see the screen of the voltmeter AND what the probes are connected to clearly should not be a 1 man job at any voltage over 50V.

If there's so much "trust" in us being DIYers and knowing how to do these things, then why isn't there enough trust to just ask us to write down the values and what was measured in the e-mail?

Lol bro, I know my way around wires and electricity well enough to know what to do. This still doesn't change the fact that it's pretty reckless to ask of all that to even start debugging or getting a warranty claim through. I have no issue with having to read these values myself whenever I've had to, but asking someone to very specifically take a picture where you can see the screen of the voltmeter AND what the probes are connected to clearly should not be a 1 man job at any voltage over 50V.

If there's so much "trust" in us being DIYers and knowing how to do these things, then why isn't there enough trust to just ask us to write down the values and what was measured in the e-mail?
By your logic though, they never said not to have someone help you. I send photos/videos to the factories in China I work with all the time...I grab someone nearby and have them run the camera while I'm fully focus/engaged in the task at hand.

You shouldn't be working on electrical alone ANYWAY, regardless of whether you are taking a photo or not. Let's say photo aside, you did get lit up, if you are working alone no one knows until they find the charred body. If you have a helper they can knock you over so you let go of the DC lines that have caused your muscles to clamp-on.

I've been in a bad situation and my boss got lit up on a high voltage filter capacitor bank after his tool flashed-over. Had I have been a fraction of a second slower on the disconnect switch he wouldn't have been able to let go and likely would have been dead.

Maybe SS should buy out Ian and just put him on e-mail/phone duty. ;)
Maybe Ian should be given director position. CEO
He always answers promptly and correctly.
Signature Solar is good company with many growing pains. I have purchased from both companies. Both have been good.
Watts 24 better customer resources of information. I love being able to go to resource page and learn needed information saves emails,calls etc. It allows me to study the information until I fully grasp.Ian is always avaliable.
SIGNATURE SOLAR NEEDS A SIMILAR SECTION. This would stop many calls and emails and frustrated customers waiting. I will say Signature Solar does get back with you, wait time is frustrating.
Hats off to both and thanks for the sales and services for us DIYS people.

Back