diy solar

diy solar

Solar Assistant - data logger

Question about Raspberry Pi and Solar Assistant; is there way to also control a floodlight/siren using the SAME raspberry pi? I'm on the fence about trying this; I'm looking to monitor my system remotely and be able to turn a couple things on to scare off thieves

SA is built in a way that you cannot install a home automation on that machine without breaking it.(probably)

Maybe you realized we try to find a way to tap into the system (on our risk) because the developer of SA do not provide login system details, made the bundle to work out of box and protect his work (despite the fact everything on the SA is opersource).
Tapping into the system you will have no warranty it will work (reliably) at least as it worked untouched.

If you want some automation, use some simple solutions (like Sonoff devices + Ewelink app) or get another "RaspberryPi" like computer and instal OpenHab, HomeAssistant or something similar.

Last edited:
I understand.
Every manufacturer says to use his device for the purpose it was designed otherwise, warranty out, it will not work as intended (more or less true).

My Pi is a Zero2W so there are not too much ressources left. I chose thy variant because it was cheaper and available.
The HA machine is OdroidC2.

I can try to tap into the SA and, at least, activate/install samba, perform backup.

I did an image of the SA card but not tried it it works in the case of a restore scenario.

Anybody else been running it for over a year?
I have noticed the update time has really slowed down as the database grows. It will sometimes react to a load change in 2-3 seconds and at other times it will take 10-15 seconds to react.
As soon as I know Sol-Ark has migrated my data safely to their new server I am putting in a new SD card with a fresh install and see if a clean Db fixes the issue.

Anybody else been running it for over a year?
I have noticed the update time has really slowed down as the database grows. It will sometimes react to a load change in 2-3 seconds and at other times it will take 10-15 seconds to react.
As soon as I know Sol-Ark has migrated my data safely to their new server I am putting in a new SD card with a fresh install and see if a clean Db fixes the issue.
Any ETA on that new PV pro yet?
Still have the app on phone. Haven’t tried adding plant again though.

Hello, is anyone using the Eastron SDM 630 with Solar Assistant? It's a smart meter, it shows up in my Growatt app, but not in Solar Assistant.

Just read the specifications of SA.
It supports:
Inverters
BMS (batteries)

The Smartmeter is wired to the inverter.
Any values the inverter reports, it has the data from it's own internal measurements and data got from the smartmerer by communication.

So you already have the smartmeter data in the inverter which communicates to SA.

Any ETA on that new PV pro yet?
Still have the app on phone. Haven’t tried adding plant again though.
You mean My-SolArk?
Yes they told me that they are currently migrating people over in batches.
I am going to see if I can get one of the senior techs on the phone and find out how this works. I am not sure if they call you or if you call in and ask to be migrated. Either way I am not all that anxious to jump in early.
PowerViews Webportal works really well and I am pretty sure My-SolArk is going to take months to get out all of the bugs.
I love Beta testing but not when it comes to the thing that is powering my house.

BTW what would happen if I hooked my single EG4LL into the Pi while I am still getting my closed loop battery info for my other four eFlex packs from the Inverter. I suspect that SA would show me only the SOC of the EG4? That is why I have not bothered trying but now I am curious to know if I would see them as separate numbers.

You mean My-SolArk?
Yes they told me that they are currently migrating people over in batches.
I am going to see if I can get one of the senior techs on the phone and find out how this works. I am not sure if they call you or if you call in and ask to be migrated. Either way I am not all that anxious to jump in early.
PowerViews Webportal works really well and I am pretty sure My-SolArk is going to take months to get out all of the bugs.
I love Beta testing but not when it comes to the thing that is powering my house.
Yes my Sol-Ark.

I use SA and PV pro at the same time.
PV pro with dongles and SA with the 485 connections.

Can get info from SA even if I ran as Beta on MY Sol-Ark.

Just read the specifications of SA.
It supports:
Inverters
BMS (batteries)

The Smartmeter is wired to the inverter.
Any values the inverter reports, it has the data from it's own internal measurements and data got from the smartmerer by communication.

So you already have the smartmeter data in the inverter which communicates to SA.

Is it possible that SA still implements this? We in Germany use these smart meters very often.

I also had to select wrong protocol from Growatt to get as much data as possible, I sent an email with the Modbus RTU data from Growatt inverters, hopefully you will implement more data and map it to the correct inverters.

I had to select SPH Inverter instead of TL-X Inverter to get more data.

Is it possible that SA still implements this? We in Germany use these smart meters very often.

I also had to select wrong protocol from Growatt to get as much data as possible, I sent an email with the Modbus RTU data from Growatt inverters, hopefully you will implement more data and map it to the correct inverters.

I had to select SPH Inverter instead of TL-X Inverter to get more data.
you may launch a feature request to SA

Guys.
You do not get it, or I am not aware of what you are talking about.

1. If you are talking about the smartmeters of the electricity company, they have their infrasturcure RF/GPRS/4G/PowerLan to read and configure their equipment.

2. If you have a smartmeter bought by you for datalogging your energy consumption/production,
a. either it is connected (communication) to an solar inverter. (you see its data in the solar inverter app or solar assistant)
b. not connected to anything (without possibility of communication, no way to connect to it)
c. with possibility of communication of some kind (commercial wifi, industrial wire RS485, try use the smart meter app-software designed for it.)

My oppinion is there is no way Solar Assistant will implement such thing (read smartmeters) because it is not related to "solar".

I beg to them to implement backup feature... and you expect from them to implement new protocol for a smartmeter.

Right now I don't have the needed time to do it.
Beside, I am not comfortable messing with linux.

But I suspect it will be no more needed after the next crash.
(when I will regret for not taking the time to root the SA).
Thanks anyway for the hints

Back