diy solar

Solar assistant: do you use it?

Do you use solar assistant with your solar system

• Yes

• I used to, not anymore

• No but I plan to use it one day

• No and I don't see a reason to purchase it

Results are only viewable after voting.
Solar Assistant is a solar system monitoring and remote control app. It can also be used for home automation and load control.

I am using this poll to measure it's popularity on the forum. I have never used it before, but am curious how many people are using it.
Am in the final stage of developing one.....huge market demand for it!!
Not sure what your reffered system does exactly but could be what it does

Last edited:
If your selling it or are going to sell it then that is against the rules I would imagine.

I have used it, but the first one I bought didn't work and they sent me a new one.

The second one has last about a year, and now doesn't transmit Bluetooth signal anymore :(

For the cost, I can't keep buying it if it only lasts a year.

I loved the data I was able to see with it though.

Solar Assistant is a solar system monitoring and remote control app. It can also be used for home automation and load control.

I am using this poll to measure it's popularity on the forum. I have never used it before, but am curious how many people are using it.
I would love to have a Solar Assistant.. preferably a she... job description would involve telling me when the suns out... should I bring swimming gear to the beach... she could also apply lotion.. to improve my tan of course...

I have used it, but the first one I bought didn't work and they sent me a new one.

The second one has last about a year, and now doesn't transmit Bluetooth signal anymore :(

Buy a cheap Pi Zero W and run program on there.

Replace the wifi/bluetooth radio with a usb dongle type though I highly recommend ditching wifi on the pi itself and using the ethernet port.

Late to the party, but here goes.

Off grid for the last 11 years, 2 systems, both MPP solar inverters, 1 is my daily driver, 2 is my backup system.
Both systems run an instance of Solar Assistant on seperate PI B4.
SA works very well 24/7, the thing I love about it is the ability to monitor both systems anywhere on my phone, tablet or laptop, also to be able to adjust any settings remotely, I don't have to trudge down to the battery shed and push buttons.
The thing I don't like about SA is the inability to report outputs to PVoutput.org.

I used ICC software for years, it was good, but I prefer SA.

I'm currently trying to get MQTT running on Home Assistant on another Pi and use that to upload to PVoutput.org, as I'm a total noob when it comes to HA this may be a bridge too far, but supposedly persistency beats resistancy, see how it goes.

I hope to use it in the future, but there is some information I can´t seem to find.

I have a Voltronic inverter that SA should be able to connect to, I also use the diybms which I assume that SA will be able to connect to using pylontech protocol, although I have yet to get this confirmed but I believe that should be pretty straight forward.
What worries me though is that I haven't been able to find information on if SA is able to also connect to stand alone MPPT chargers as well (connected to the same battery bank). My array will be larger then what my AIO inverter could handle alone and all I can find on SA homepage is compatibility for inverters, not simple chargers.
Maybe someone here can advise if SA can handle this?

Back