diy solar

diy solar

SRNE 20KW parallel ASP journey.

Ive been pretty pleased with the fan noise levels. Its a lower pitched sound like you mentioned and it isn't very loud. There is a window ac beside it and its only slightly louder than the ac's fan noise when it ramps up.

Are you saying you don't have one of these?
Just one more tool.:unsure:
The Amazon unit works just fine. I own the Temco crimper, it is great but when it comes to a hole punch, this one works.

I catch your drift 1201. Great idea.

I've been wanting to buy a hydraulic hole punch (for more traditional uses) but could never justify the expense before. As a multi use item however :cool:
Paging you here for the inverters

Last edited:
I catch your drift 1201. Great idea.

I've been wanting to buy a hydraulic hole punch (for more traditional uses) but could never justify the expense before. As a multi use item however :cool:
Calling your attention to the inverters. The punch is good too

Are you saying you don't have one of these?
Just one more tool.:unsure:
Lol I don't, I've looked at them a few times but struggle with the concept of drilling a hole to punch a hole... If I'm already drilling 1 hole I'll just use a hole saw once and be done with it.
Now if there was a punch set that somehow use d magnets to align the top and bottom I'd be all over it.

@thomBangor check out the first post for pricing, I didn't want to come right out and suggest these in your thread but since your here now I think they may be a great match for what you're trying to accomplish.

Lol I don't, I've looked at them a few times but struggle with the concept of drilling a hole to punch a hole... If I'm already drilling 1 hole I'll just use a hole saw once and be done with it.
Now if there was a punch set that somehow use d magnets to align the top and bottom I'd be all over it.

@thomBangor check out the first post for pricing, I didn't want to come right out and suggest these in your thread but since your here now I think they may be a great match for what you're trying to accomplish.
thanks 42ohms. I'm looking all over the thread and finding it a bit daunting to figure out where to buy it from exactly, and also what the cost is? If I can duplicate your $850+shipping thing that seems appealing (even if I need to buy 2); just not sure how to do that-- the list prices, when I find them, for maybe the right model number, are more like $1300... ?

Can you help me with a couple of questions? I'm trying to figure out how it compares to an 6000xp. Seems generally like SRNE is used more internationally and seems to have a good reputation for not failing?

-What is the parallels version's model number? (ASP4880U180-H???)
-Does this have a gas generator trigger and/or passthru?
-Does it have an arc fault protection? If not, what do you use for that?
-Is the parallel operation done by serial cable or wifi?
-Have you (or anyone) tried putting a scope probe on the master, a scope probe on the slave, and see how well they overlap in frequency/phase?
-Does it charge and communicate with the EG4 allweather powerpro battery? Sorry I have to ask this, I've been struggling to find the SRNE specs/manuals.
-I think that the 6000xp/EG4 use an app to get inverter data. How does SRNE do it?
-What is the 12kW HES your other thread refers to? Is it a better unit than the ASP? Sorry if I'm getting the names wrong. Trying to figure out the SRNE nomenclature is hard.

Thanks

The reason to drill a hole to punch a hole is that the punched hole has MUCH cleaner edges than a hole saw leaves. I just have a 50+ yr old set of 1/2, 3/4, 7/8, and 1in punches... the manual kind - drill the hole, thread it together, then turn the wrench on one side while using a wrench on the other to hold the bolt. I inherited it from my dad and I have no idea how old they are before he got them.

I don't have one yet but I will be ordering one soon and how I justified it was that even with my angle drill you can't get into some places with a hole saw attached to the drill. I can get in there with my angle drill for the starter hole.

thanks 42ohms. I'm looking all over the thread and finding it a bit daunting to figure out where to buy it from exactly, and also what the cost is? If I can duplicate your $850+shipping thing that seems appealing (even if I need to buy 2); just not sure how to do that-- the list prices, when I find them, for maybe the right model number, are more like $1300... ?
Here's the info for Borick. It's easiest to start a chat and tell them what you want.
This is a link to the storefront.

Vicky Wen is who I've dealt with.

They also have a website you can use for contact, I've never tried that route.
Can you help me with a couple of questions? I'm trying to figure out how it compares to an 6000xp. Seems generally like SRNE is used more internationally and seems to have a good reputation for not failing?
That's what I found when I researched a while back. I had over 6MWh through my ASF before upgrading to the ASPs for more output. The XP is made by LuxPower, sold by EG4.
-What is the parallels version's model number? (ASP4880U180-H???)
That's the 8KW version. 10KW is ASP48100U200-H
-Does this have a gas generator trigger and/or passthru?
There are dry contacts for generator, I haven't used them; when it utility/gen it works in pass through.
-Does it have an arc fault protection? If not, what do you use for that?
For the PV, I don't think so. Didn't use anything besides SPDs. (I know I'm bad )
-Is the parallel operation done by serial cable or wifi?
Serial cable, I wouldn't trust WiFi.
-Have you (or anyone) tried putting a scope probe on the master, a scope probe on the slave, and see how well they overlap in frequency/phase?
I have not, I'm not sure if others have.
I know I have no light flickering / pulsing some other AIOs have reported experiencing. My DMM measure 60hz or damn close to it if that helps.
-Does it charge and communicate with the EG4 allweather powerpro battery? Sorry I have to ask this, I've been struggling to find the SRNE specs/manuals.
If it supports the same BMS protocols, yes. Open loop is fine too, in my opinion.
Manual can be found here.

-I think that the 6000xp/EG4 use an app to get inverter data. How does SRNE do it?
You can buy the WiFi dongles and use there web based monitoring, I have no experience with it. Solar Assistant for the win.
-What is the 12kW HES your other thread refers to? Is it a better unit than the ASP? Sorry if I'm getting the names wrong. Trying to figure out the SRNE nomenclature is hard.
The HES is a grid interactive version with more fancy features, the HESP is the parallel version of the HES. It's better if you need the fancy features.
No problem.

Nothing worse than a hole saw that wanders.......

BTDT

Spend the 80 bucks for the one I use, I punched holes in the Hoffman Big Blue Box and that is at least 10 ga if not thicker. It would take a long time with a 2 inch hole saw.

Much cleaner with the punch. Small holes? Sure, use the hole saw. Anything over 1/2" EMT, use the punch.

:ROFLMAO:

@42OhmsPA , Last year when you had started on the non parallel 10kw journey , I didn't consider that because 10kw wouldn't have been enough.

If the parallel solution has been available this affordably it would have been a no brainer since I could put ALL my house loads on inverter.

I'm glad it's now available and that you are testing it out.

This is the off grid way of the future: instead of picking and choosing which loads to run. Just buy two or three of these and run the whole house!

They have been performing flawlessly, haven't had a chance to really push them yet, hopefully tomorrow.
This week has been pretty excellent for production, July in general for that matter.
I'm going to try and calibrate the JBDs one more time before I add a smart shunt. I wish SA had the option to use the shunt for SOC and still see cell voltages. I suppose I could switch back and forth manually in SA instead of getting a 2nd license.

I hope this humidity subsides soon so I can get started on the 2nd ground mount.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-07-13-20-58-21-35_cbf47468f7ecfbd8ebcc46bf9cc626da.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-07-13-20-58-21-35_cbf47468f7ecfbd8ebcc46bf9cc626da.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_2024-07-13-20-44-45-01_cbf47468f7ecfbd8ebcc46bf9cc626da.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-07-13-20-44-45-01_cbf47468f7ecfbd8ebcc46bf9cc626da.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 7
They have been performing flawlessly, haven't had a chance to really push them yet, hopefully tomorrow.
This week has been pretty excellent for production, July in general for that matter.
I'm going to try and calibrate the JBDs one more time before I add a smart shunt. I wish SA had the option to use the shunt for SOC and still see cell voltages. I suppose I could switch back and forth manually in SA instead of getting a 2nd license.

I hope this humidity subsides soon so I can get started on the 2nd ground mount.
Use home assistant.
I have all of the data from my victron shunts, normal stuff SA see's too and all of my other solar gear including all of the SRNE's info all on one screen.

Oh and I now have a time till empty for my batteries in hours:minutes. It even shows the exact time and date the batteries should run down. Also when its charging I see hours and minutes and time and date when it will be done charging back up at the current rate.

If you can get your bms's into it which should be doable you will be able to have it alert you via email, voice or text message if a cell goes rouge.

Ive been pretty pleased with the fan noise levels. Its a lower pitched sound like you mentioned and it isn't very loud. There is a window ac beside it and its only slightly louder than the ac's fan noise when it ramps up.
Are they using bigger fans than the other inverters?

Use home assistant.
I have all of the data from my victron shunts, normal stuff SA see's too and all of my other solar gear including all of the SRNE's info all on one screen.

Oh and I now have a time till empty for my batteries in hours:minutes. It even shows the exact time and date the batteries should run down. Also when its charging I see hours and minutes and time and date when it will be done charging back up at the current rate.

If you can get your bms's into it which should be doable you will be able to have it alert you via email, voice or text message if a cell goes rouge.
Great point, I ordered a SSD last year to play around with it, I should be able to get the WonVon talking to HA so I wouldn't need the smart shunt. Now to remember where I set the SSD down last.

@42OhmsPA , Last year when you had started on the non parallel 10kw journey , I didn't consider that because 10kw wouldn't have been enough.

If the parallel solution has been available this affordably it would have been a no brainer since I could put ALL my house loads on inverter.

I'm glad it's now available and that you are testing it out.

This is the off grid way of the future: instead of picking and choosing which loads to run. Just buy two or three of these and run the whole house!
Or 6, lol.

What is the Hoffman Big Blue Box ?

diy solar

diy solar
Back