diy solar

diy solar

UL1973 300Ah 48V Batteries

Shimmy

Solar Wizard
I would love to get four 300Ah 48V Trophy batteries for my new system; stood on end and bolted together with busbars (and a brace to the rack ears) it can sit on a simple shelf below an AIO inverter, have fewer than 6 disconnects, and make for a dead-simple installation.

But they aren't UL-Listed and I understand getting the 300Ah version listed isn't a priority for Trophy.

Is there anybody else out there that makes a single-BMS, 16s, ~300Ah module with integral disconnect that is or will be UL listed?

I'm looking for UL 9540 listed 48V batteries. Seems like they don't exist?

Signature Solar appears to be going through the hoops for their 280Ah wall mount unit. Unfortunately the spacing requirements make it a low-density solution. 45kWh would need ~9' of wall space.

Signature Solar appears to be going through the hoops for their 280Ah wall mount unit. Unfortunately the spacing requirements make it a low-density solution. 45kWh would need ~9' of wall space.
It is possible to get an exemption to the 3 foot spacing requirement with UL9540A testing. The SS manual shows much less than 3 foot spacing. It must be their intention to achieve this exemption.

It is possible to get an exemption to the 3 foot spacing requirement with UL9540A testing. The SS manual shows much less than 3 foot spacing. It must be their intention to achieve this exemption.
They are presumably doing 9540A, but they still require 12" spacing. Personally, I want a battery that can be perpendicular to the wall or stacked out from the wall 3 deep. I have about 6' of wall to work with so I either need a rack with 9x100Ah batteries or something that works gracefully below the inverter. The latter is better if I want to maintain the flexibility of two AIOs.

EG4 is slowly getting into some graceful solutions. Maybe by next year there will be something that works for me.

It looks like Trophy now has UL listed 300Ah battery. Check their website.
I hope they can get 9540A as well... but I know that gets expensive. Getting parallel unit count down is important to me personally.

In my opinion UL is a scam. I understand the safety requirements and agree there should be a minimum, but this BS capacity limits are completely without merit.

A 5 gallon of gas has way more energy than 20KW or even 50KW battery and UL is perfectly happy with jugs of gasoline parked in a garage with 2 electric EVS that each have a 100KW battery. BUT you better not have 2 stacked LFP batteries that is dangerous :rolleyes:

All those pics you see of these racks with 4-5 batteries, all UL violations? Anything more than 3 100ah batts and you are already over the limit.

Sorry but this is BS and someone needs to challenge UL I think they are coddling to utility companies who insist customers are never able to severe the ambilocal cord that is the local electric utility company by having enough power to be energy independent.

Last edited:
Its says its rated to UL standards... that doesn't mean UL listed.
There's batteries on the market that just rely on cells UL listing but the latest Trophies (using 48 105Ah cells versus 16 304Ah) seem to be tested as an overall assembled unit:
Screenshot_20231207_194635_Chrome.jpg

In my opinion UL is a scam. I understand the safety requirements and agree there should be a minimum, but this BS capacity limits are completely without merit.

A 5 gallon of gas has way more energy than 20KW or even 50KW battery and UL is perfectly happy with jugs of gasoline parked in a garage with 2 electric EVS that each have a 100KW battery. BUT you better not have 2 stacked LFP batteries that is dangerous :rolleyes:

All those pics you see of these racks with 4-5 batteries, all UL violations? Anything more than 3 100ah batts and you are already over the limit.

Sorry but this is BS and someone needs to challenge UL I think they are coddling to utility companies who insist customers are never able to severe the ambilocal cord that is the local electric utility company by having enough power to be energy independent.
100% agree it’s BS and thankfully I’m 100% off grid nowhere near the grid so it matters not to me. Some people if they have to deal with the permit process (which is also BS in most cases) do care about it.

History says we need the safety standard, even more so today with disposable consumer appliances. There are severe issues with UL-- namely the cost to certify and the lack of an adversarial process to ensure standards do not overreach. (The same can be said for building/fire/electrical codes.)
If they are tested to 9540A in that installation configuration then it is fine.

Personally my gripe is that treating LFP the same as NMC cathode batteries is intellectually dishonest and robs the process of credibility. I am not sure today how much I would trust what was a code compliant installation in 2018 with six Tesla Powerwall batteries installed three deep and two wide with 12" space between them in your garage. I would be somewhat less skeptical of two racks of 8 5kWh LFP batteries though if they were properly tested and labeled.

Back