diy solar

diy solar

Using Solar to Literally Make Jet Fuel

Rocksnsalt

Solar Enthusiast
Well, this is certainly not necessarily in the DIY spectrum for everyone but it’s interesting nonetheless.

And yes, I realize that this may never actually happen on any kind of scale to make a real difference but it’s still interesting.

Jet A is basically kerosene and kerosene has uses other than jet fuel, it’s basically diesel #1.
So imagine an off grid place using a solar system to create kerosene to run a diesel heater, or gen set.

Not exactly clean tech but interesting.

One could power their off grid place with normal PV system, and be creating diesel fuel with a separate solar system all year long to be stored to be used for heat in the winter, or to run a generator.
Of course there would be a lot to that. Fuel storage, possible gelling issues in cold weather with the kerosene but it’s still an interesting possibility.

Interesting tech, would love to have this at home making some extra Diesel fuel for the Dodge Cummins engine.

BTW, Carbon Dioxide is NOT pollution. Its plant food as in without it we don't eat. Yes, some of the byproducts of combustion like Carbon Monoxide and Nitrogen Oxides or Sulfer from Coal are pollutants however.

Great for long-term storage in tanks. Good for winter use in a combined heat and power plant.

One article about hydrogen showed that an ICE muscle car could perform well on hydrogen. But crammed with high pressure tanks, it had about 50 mile range vs. 250 mile for a fuel-cell vehicle.

Storing hydrogen as something like Crisco, then releasing it to feed a fuel cell, could provide better energy density and higher round-trip efficiency.

Sounds like a ? idea!
Not sure if that was sarcasm or not lol.
Diesel isn’t nearly as flammable as other fuel choices.
It’s actually somewhat difficult to ignite compared to gasoline, natural gas, propane, butane, alcohol, methane, hydrogen, oxygen, etc etc

Not sure if that was sarcasm or not lol.
Diesel isn’t nearly as flammable as other fuel choices.
It’s actually somewhat difficult to ignite compared to gasoline, natural gas, propane, butane, alcohol, methane, hydrogen, oxygen, etc etc
A little but it's still cool tech. I've been driving diesels for years and understand flammability well. Watched dad for years using gasoline to light fire. I use diesel because of that. ???

I’ve always used kindling and dry materials such as paper, leaves, twigs, wood shavings etc to start a fire.
Sure it takes longer but I don’t want the smell or smoke of gas, diesel, lighter fluid etc.
And I’m not usually trying to make a large fire.

Last edited:
I think not too far down the road we will be able to produce green hydrogen from solar at our homes that can be used as a fuel for cooking, running a vehicle etc.

There are companies working on it now.

Green hydrogen or ammonia makes sense for long distance trucking as the fueling takes no more time than diesel.

I think we will see solar/wind with green hydrogen production stations along all major highways and used for ships, trains and possibly jets.

Perhaps on the solar stills creating fuels, but I’d imagine the “authorities” may not like the idea of joe diy homeowner refining fuels in his yard. I mean really, what could go wrong? ? ?
Hydrogen and ammonia fueling trucks and aircraft, yeah not so sure about that.
Check out/compare the btu content…
Rule of thumb, the heavier the fuel, the more btu content, and unfortunately -likely more emissions.

Last edited:
Perhaps on the solar stills creating fuels, but I’d imagine the “authorities” may not like the idea of joe diy homeowner refining fuels in his yard. I mean really, what could go wrong?
Hydrogen and ammonia fueling trucks and aircraft, yeah not so sure about that.
Check out/compare the btu content…

Interesting read:

Green hydrogen: Loaded up and (long-haul) trucking

Already being done and we are just way behind the curve in the US.

Those large solar and wind farms are going to produce green hydrogen as a secondary product for revenue instead of taking them off line when the grid has too much power.

It's a cool topic when renewables are used where a carbon intensive process was. The steel industry can move to arch furnaces at some point and cement manufacturing (if they still bake rock) could be powered by renewably powered ovens as well. We have plenty of room for improvement.

diy solar

diy solar
Back