diy solar

diy solar

Victron is Over-priced Eurotrash. Why would anybody buy Victron over an AiO?

First, math check... $300/5 = $60/year

IIRC, I think you have to initiate the second 5 years before the end of the fourth year. I just extended the warranty on both of my quattros, CCGX, BMV-702 and MPPT 250/100 for about $700.
??? .. help me swami…?..if it’s 10% of 1400 ish ( the normal price Of a standard 3000) , spread over the extra 5 years ya get ,that’s 140.00 total divided by 5years of extended warranty =28 buck a year..at least in the hills I live in…what am I missing?…
btw , even if it is 60 per year it’s a deal..

IIRC, I think you have to initiate the second 5 years before the end of the fourth year. I just extended the warranty on both of my quattros, CCGX, BMV-702 and MPPT 250/100 for about $700.
Hang on I thought current connected offers 5 years after the Victron 5 year warranty expires. Or are you talking about some other program direct from Victron?

It's not only about build quality, I am pretty sure the build quality Victron offers is very good, but also after sales and warranty.

I bought Victrom SCCs and was able to return those because they might be faulty. They worked fine but because they could go bad in the future, Victron offered a swap.

I also have 2 Mpp-solar AIO-inverters. After 1.5 years one breaks down, zero support. Basically their advice : buy a new one.

That's the difference.

My friends mpp-solar aio (we bought our inverters and batteries together) broke down last week as well . Zero support and this one could be written off also.

I don't have any experience with it.
I believe it's reliable, and durable, but expensive.
I think that I seen some videos. Where they said that it dropped the ability to parallel. I don't remember which model.
I believe the Schneider SW 4024 and 4048 had a firmware update that removed the ability to run them in parallel. Which was absolute garbage move imo.

Ohhh I think you thought I was referencing a 3000 dollar multi when I was speaking of a multi3000 like I have……I didn’t know about the 4th year implementation thing… I need to do that for my blue stuff…thx…J.

It's not only about build quality, I am pretty sure the build quality Victron offers is very good, but also after sales and warranty.

I bought Victrom SCCs and was able to return those because they might be faulty. They worked fine but because they could go bad in the future, Victron offered a swap.

I also have 2 Mpp-solar AIO-inverters. After 1.5 years one breaks down, zero support. Basically their advice : buy a new one.

That's the difference.

My friends mpp-solar aio (we bought our inverters and batteries together) broke down last week as well . Zero support and this one could be written off also.
I think one of the other things is Victron seems to release a product and then support that for a long time. Versus say buying an eg4 6500EX and then being up the creek when they discontinue sales to hype up the latest and greatest 6000XP that resolves the unfixable issues from the previous generation.

??? .. help me swami…?..if it’s 10% of 1400 ish ( the normal price Of a standard 3000) , spread over the extra 5 years ya get ,that’s 140.00 total divided by 5years of extended warranty =28 buck a year..at least in the hills I live in…what am I missing?…
btw , even if it is 60 per year it’s a deal..

yeah... you figured out my idiocy... I just saw 3000 and assumed $3000. These bastards are expensive, so it didn't register... :)

Hang on I thought current connected offers 5 years after the Victron 5 year warranty expires. Or are you talking about some other program direct from Victron?

Current connected may be eating that 10% and offering it up front. Maybe @HighTechLab can clarify. Otherwise, you do it through your reseller. You can do it at the time of purchase, or within the first four years.

Reactions: JRH
I think one of the other things is Victron seems to release a product and then support that for a long time. Versus say buying an eg4 6500EX and then being up the creek when they discontinue sales to hype up the latest and greatest 6000XP that resolves the unfixable issues from the previous generation.

This is absolutely true. They maintain firmware commonality even if some units don't have all the features as the new ones. They continue to make the standard Multiplus/Quattro line because there are customers who want the legacy reliability and don't care about the new features or lower power draw of the "II" lines.

IIRC, the current firmware version is 506... for all MP, MPII, Quattro and Quattro II.

Since I bought my Quattros in 2019, Victron has added the following major features:
1) inverter low temperature charge protection for lithium batteries.
2) inverter charger solar/wind prioritization.

Both of those features existed in some part of the Victron ecosystem, but have now been integrated directly to the inverter itself.

When I started researching all of this I wanted something with a proven track record.
Years ago, I drove a diesel Mercedes sedan (300SD) that somewhere along the line we named Bessie. We finally pulled it off the road at over 443K miles due to frame rust caused by over two decades of PA road salt (for safety). But in all that time and miles, we had done nothing more to it than fluid and filter changes, tires and brakes, and one or two sets of glow plugs. Everything else was original, and it started every day and ran like a top. Rode like a cloud, too. When my wife asked why Victron equipment costs so much I told her "It's just like Ol' Bessie. Pay once and then just use it darn near forever" She hasn't voiced a single complaint about what I spend for Victron equipment since I said that. You remember quality. And if I lived where a sedan made sense today, I might try to find another old Mercedes diesel!

Hopefully new readers here have figured out the title of this thread disparages Victron for comedic effect: that eggo sunny appreciates their products and has the experience to know what else is out there.

Sure they’re not for everyone’s applications, and Victron is not perfect every time but Victron has a history of standing behind their products even when they do fail. You just need to purchase from a reputable dealer and go through them for issues.

Still wishing their charge controllers and inverters (Phoenix) had the capability to use larger gauge wire even if it is not necessarily necessary.

wishing their charge controllers and inverters (Phoenix) had the capability to use larger gauge wire even if it is not necessarily necessary
Not sure if it works for Victron but my Midnite Classic took 4 awg THNN. Will be looking at Victron MPPT for my next build

Not sure if it works for Victron but my Midnite Classic took 4 awg THNN. Will be looking at Victron MPPT for my next build
The Victron charge controllers I have used or considered specify fine strand cable. I don't know if this applies to every model.

Double checked the Midnite documentation:

"The connector will take up to a ... 4AWG THHN wire when installed in the Classic."

Good to know about the Victron however. The application I have in mind is smaller in scale.

Current connected may be eating that 10% and offering it up front. Maybe @HighTechLab can clarify. Otherwise, you do it through your reseller. You can do it at the time of purchase, or within the first four years.
We carry the warranty once Victron's expires. Looking at the MTBF of the components Victron is using, if the inverter makes it to year 5 it should have no problem making it to year 10. And if it doesn't, then we just bought you your new inverter out of our pocket.

There has always been 3 levels of watch’s .. Rolex- Bulova -Timex…They all tell the time.
A man should always know his level of monetary comfort VS his desires….
Once decided , he should run with the pack to which he belongs…and live life his way…
J.
Another meaningless reply which doesn't actually prove your point!

We carry the warranty once Victron's expires. Looking at the MTBF of the components Victron is using, if the inverter makes it to year 5 it should have no problem making it to year 10. And if it doesn't, then we just bought you your new inverter out of our pocket.
You can buy at least 5 Voltronic inverters for the price of the equivalent Victron equipment.

Very true. Victron is better than Schneider in this regard, and Schneider is considered to be another high cost, top tier supplier. I installed brand-new Schneider equipment in 2017, and (IIRC) by 2019 the SCP (System Control Panel) was no long supported. The only way to upgrade the firmware on the inverter or the SCC was if you buy a separate "Com Box", but by the time I was ready to buy one in 2020 they had discontinued that as well, replaced with a more expensive box that I suspect will also be discontinued in a couple of years. Getting help on Schneider is not easy either, or at least it wasn't the one time I tried. If you are not a pro installer, they really don't want to mess with you.

I'm still hoping victron makes it into the modern age and gets a built in display. Might consider the antique looking crap then.

As it is it looks so dated I wouldn't tolerate having it.

That's my opinion but everyone is entitled to their own of course.

diy solar

diy solar
Back