diy solar

diy solar

Victron is Over-priced Eurotrash. Why would anybody buy Victron over an AiO?

Can you spare $50?

View attachment 176476
Haaaa.. the last plasma tv I had was about 2004 ..in my store….weighed 100 lbs and had the heating ability of a space heater on medium…but it had a great picture… sold it to the town manager for 600 bucks .. he still has it in his garage ..never has to run the heat out there..?

Don't forget to factor the cost of loosing your fridge 5 times each time the inverter goes bad when you aren't home.
I just flip the transfer switch over to grid. With no one home, it takes about 7 to 8 Kwh per day to run the house.

Funny thing about leaving on vacation this year. I was having some trouble with the EG4 charge controllers setting the phantom code and decided to switch to grid. Gone 2 days and our son called and said the power was out in the town and our grid connection goes thru that town. Someone was pulling a big grain dryer thru town, hooked a line and pulled down some poles.

I knew then I should have just left the system on solar power. Called next door neighbor and power was still on outside of town, just in town half the grid went down.

Can a voltronic/deye/growatt system do this?

180kva!

Apparently growatt can using 480V.
They get close at 208V/220V.

Deye claims to easily https://deye.com/product/sun-12-14-16k-sg01lp1-12-16kw-single-phase-2-mppt-hybrid-inverter/

I was disappointed SRNE can't ?.

In all seriousness I have nothing against Victron and when I'm ready to order my complete off grid system with no grid backup I'll be placing a large charge on my CC with CC. I sure hope they are selling Schneider and/or Midnite by then too. (unless of course I decide to stick with Some Really Nice Equipment already in use ?)

Apparently growatt can using 480V.
They get close at 208V/220V.

Deye claims to easily https://deye.com/product/sun-12-14-16k-sg01lp1-12-16kw-single-phase-2-mppt-hybrid-inverter/

I was disappointed SRNE can't ?.

In all seriousness I have nothing against Victron and when I'm ready to order my complete off grid system with no grid backup I'll be placing a large charge on my CC with CC. I sure hope they are selling Schneider and/or Midnite by then too. (unless of course I decide to stick with Some Really Nice Equipment already in use ?)
We have full access to anything Midnite. DM me what you like and we’ll be sure to add it to the site this month.

We have full access to anything Midnite. DM me what you like and we’ll be sure to add it to the site this month.
I most definitely will. I have to see if a perc test will pass before I make an offer...
I do think a Rosie between some Barcelonas or Hawke's Bays holding hands with a PDP would sure look nice, probably even nicer than that vengeful blue

Since there is a decent amount of “ ANTI-BLUE people present in this thread , you guys may be of some help since I have no experience with any other make than Victron in solar since the spring when I turned it on… have you guys had this happen to your different invert/ chargers ….?
When I started I thought the multiplus 24/3000 was a 3000 watt inverter..then it was explained in the forum it was “3000VA “ and actually a 2400/watt inverter…with some conditions to go 3000 depending on the type loads being used…so over the summer I have pushed it now and then to find it’s limits to learn..
it has done fine running 2000- 2500- 2800 watts as long as needed with a mix of loads , inductive and resistive.. I have taken it to 3300 for a several hours and once to 3600 for about a half an hour With no problems …BUT…
Tonite , I was cooking electric , refer is on electric and a space heater and etc…The RV according to the phone app ( 712 shunt) was drawing about 2700 watts for a half hour.. all everything is cool…im cooking away….
I “accidentally“ turned on the 1000 watt micro wave while already using 2700 watts and punched in 5 min…it came on and was cooking …. a couple of min later I just glanced at the phone app and the wattage was bouncing between 4200 and 4250 watts steady… I thought I messed up..
I started to turn somthing off as I figured the system would shut down….but I didn’t so as to see what would would happen…to see what would fail..
Nothing, except the micro finished its cooking cycle and the app settled back to a steady 2700 watts.. nothing changed ….
no trips, no overload notifications , no nothing…
is this type thing normal .. is that type excess of rating the norm out there for other good quality units.. was it a fluke..? Are good units built with that kind of headroom..?
Can it be counted on to overproduce what I understood it should be able to do.?
It Was about 50 F where the gear and batts were… and the batts were at about 70% SOC .. the voltage took a pretty nice little dip as it was drawing 165-170:amps ..I think that’s about a .40 C rate discharge +/- of the bank.
I don’t see how a 2400 watt inverter can go that high and function just fine for that length of time ..it was not during a surge , it was continuous Cooking…
what am I missing…? Does your units behave similarly..…?
seriously, I gotta be missing somthing..
J.

Since there is a decent amount of “ ANTI-BLUE people present in this thread , you guys may be of some help since I have no experience with any other make than Victron in solar since the spring when I turned it on… have you guys had this happen to your different invert/ chargers ….?
When I started I thought the multiplus 24/3000 was a 3000 watt inverter..then it was explained in the forum it was “3000VA “ and actually a 2400/watt inverter…with some conditions to go 3000 depending on the type loads being used…so over the summer I have pushed it now and then to find it’s limits to learn..
it has done fine running 2000- 2500- 2800 watts as long as needed with a mix of loads , inductive and resistive.. I have taken it to 3300 for a several hours and once to 3600 for about a half an hour With no problems …BUT…
Tonite , I was cooking electric , refer is on electric and a space heater and etc…The RV according to the phone app ( 712 shunt) was drawing about 2700 watts for a half hour.. all everything is cool…im cooking away….
I “accidentally“ turned on the 1000 watt micro wave while already using 2700 watts and punched in 5 min…it came on and was cooking …. a couple of min later I just glanced at the phone app and the wattage was bouncing between 4200 and 4250 watts steady… I thought I messed up..
I started to turn somthing off as I figured the system would shut down….but I didn’t so as to see what would would happen…to see what would fail..
Nothing, except the micro finished its cooking cycle and the app settled back to a steady 2700 watts.. nothing changed ….
no trips, no overload notifications , no nothing…
is this type thing normal .. is that type excess of rating the norm out there for other good quality units.. was it a fluke..? Are good units built with that kind of headroom..?
Can it be counted on to overproduce what I understood it should be able to do.?
It Was about 50 F where the gear and batts were… and the batts were at about 70% SOC .. the voltage took a pretty nice little dip as it was drawing 165-170:amps ..I think that’s about a .40 C rate discharge +/- of the bank.
I don’t see how a 2400 watt inverter can go that high and function just fine for that length of time ..it was not during a surge , it was continuous Cooking…
what am I missing…? Does your units behave similarly..…?
seriously, I gotta be missing somthing..
J.

Ugh...

1.3 * 3000 = 3900VA; good for 30 minutes. You weren't much over that, and it was low-ish temps.

Count on it? Officially? No. If conditions are favorable? Yeah.

Ugh...

1.3 * 3000 = 3900VA; good for 30 minutes. You weren't much over that, and it was low-ish temps.

Thanks.. not sure where the 1.3 factor came from but will take your word for it…i was quite shocked when it did this. I had based my planning on much lower output…the temp here will be rather cool to very cold till next may so that’s good news.. the trailer is insulated heavy so the heat from the inverter , SCC and the batteries keeps the temp about 50to 55 if the system is producing…but it’s only been down to 15F for a couple of days so far this year..

this will be the first winter for the system .I planning now on what to buy for expansion of the system starting spring…
this will help
?..J.

Thanks.. not sure where the 1.3 factor came from but will take your word for it…i was quite shocked when it did this. I had based my planning on much lower output…the temp here will be rather cool to very cold till next may so that’s good news.. the trailer is insulated heavy so the heat from the inverter , SCC and the batteries keeps the temp about 50to 55 if the system is producing…but it’s only been down to 15F for a couple of days so far this year..

this will be the first winter for the system .I planning now on what to buy for expansion of the system starting spring…
this will help
?..J.

No need to take my word for it. That image is a snapshot from the Victron video linked in that post.

Link to graphic in video:

Ugh...

OK ,now I see where the 1.3 comes from… that’s a helpful vid you linked …makes perfect sence what happened and why…
thanks again…
J.

I'd normally go with inverters r'us but they hadn't updated their pricing yet.

They're a small outfit, but Trent has consistently taken care of me. I've never had a problem. I've had some "installer" level feature and configuration/customization questions. On one occasion, when he didn't know the answer, he went back to Victron and got me an answer in a couple days.

They're a small outfit, but Trent has consistently taken care of me. I've never had a problem. I've had some "installer" level feature and configuration/customization questions. On one occasion, when he didn't know the answer, he went back to Victron and got me an answer in a couple days.
I've heard that Current Connected also doesn't suck.

diy solar

diy solar
Back