diy solar

diy solar

Victron is Over-priced Eurotrash. Why would anybody buy Victron over an AiO?

When I had 3 Epever SCC's on that system in the lounge they were all doing it. I was seeing the difference to 2 strings going to a bedroom system with Victron SCC's.

I'm "fixing" the lounge system by swapping out Epevers for Victrons.
You holding on to the Epevers? Or looking to unload them?

Not that I’d think of not going Big Blue, but I’m sure some other person will take your seconds off your hands.

You holding on to the Epevers? Or looking to unload them?

Not that I’d think of not going Big Blue, but I’m sure some other person will take your seconds off your hands.

I will be keeping them as spares. Never know if I'll find room to put up another array somewhere one day. I could just use one of the Epevers until I get a Victron in.

Can a voltronic/deye/growatt system do this?

180kva!

99.9% of users don't need that...
I know that you can parallel nine x 5kW PIP5048MKX inverters. I imagine you can probably parallel nine of most Voltronic parallel-capable inverters, can anybody who has information on the larger kW Voltronic inverters advise?

When I had 3 Epever SCC's on that system in the lounge they were all doing it. I was seeing the difference to 2 strings going to a bedroom system with Victron SCC's.

I'm "fixing" the lounge system by swapping out Epevers for Victrons.
Your epevers are stuck. Both my 4215BN are working great with the FW update I got last week. I have not had to do the 'solar panel disconnect and reconnect' to get them out of being stuck.

Your epevers are stuck. Both my 4215BN are working great with the FW update I got last week. I have not had to do the 'solar panel disconnect and reconnect' to get them out of being stuck.

I would dread trying to do a firmware update on the Epevers. I did buy their bluetooth adaptor once to be able to use their phone app, but it was very flaky and would only connect about once out of every 10 times I tried. I gave up on that pretty quick.

That's why it was such a relief and joy to start using Victron components. Everything just worked and also worked very well.

Epever gear was cheap enough to get me up and running, but now it's still worthwhile for me to upgrade to Victron gear.

I'm rounding the corner (almost done!!) on my first Victron install. Nothing crazy, Multi-II, Cerbo, MPPT controller, Lynx, Shunt.. The "basic" setup to give most of the functionality available for an RV install.

Yes, it's expensive. Not absurd, but certainly higher priced than other reputable options, and quite a bit higher than no-name stuff.

But, as someone who is works in an engineering field (totally unrelated to electrical), I must say, this is some well designed gear. It just works; plug A into B, they integrate together and start working. Cables line up, things are the size they are supposed to be (important for planning), everything feels like it's built well (time will tell if that is correct, but lots of happy customers seems to indicate, it probably is).

The hardest part of Victron is the learning curve. They have about 10 different models of Multiplus. If you include the Quattro, add another dozen or so. Same thing with solar. Shoot, they even have a few versions of their Lynx (power in, M8 or M10). It's a lot of reading and a lot to learn to understand how to build a system with Victron, a lot of the alternatives out there, plug solar in here, plug shore in here, done. That's not a knock; after a few days of reading, I understand why they have so many options, but it certainly pushes some customers away.

The good thing, at least in the RV world, everyone knows what the "blue stuff" is, and, if you go to sell your RV, a Victron install is going to add a lot more value to the unit than pretty much any other brand. So, eventually, you'll probably get some of that cost back, almost certainly not enough to make up the difference in price, but, some.

I would dread trying to do a firmware update on the Epevers. I did buy their bluetooth adaptor once to be able to use their phone app, but it was very flaky and would only connect about once out of every 10 times I tried. I gave up on that pretty quick.

That's why it was such a relief and joy to start using Victron components. Everything just worked and also worked very well.

Epever gear was cheap enough to get me up and running, but now it's still worthwhile for me to upgrade to Victron gear.
Understood. My FW update was through a wired connection to a laptop running their FW updater. I don't think it can be done over BT. Also have to cycle power to the controller as I think the updater interrupts the boot process to do the update.

Patchy cloudy day today and knock on wood my 4215bn's are working fine.

If it doesn't rain hard tomorrow, I'm going to pick up more panels and wire that up to the Victron 150/45 Smart Solar CC. I'll be able to switch PV arrays between the Epever and Victron to see how they perform against each other.

One of my Victron gripes is the plain white boxes. With their pricing, I expect to receive items without having the question as to whether I got the real thing. I'm about to buy a 24/1200 Phoenix inverter and the seller cannot tell me if I'll get a retail or white boxed version (they sell on AMZ). They say they get both.

Understood. My FW update was through a wired connection to a laptop running their FW updater. I don't think it can be done over BT. Also have to cycle power to the controller as I think the updater interrupts the boot process to do the update.

Patchy cloudy day today and knock on wood my 4215bn's are working fine.

If it doesn't rain hard tomorrow, I'm going to pick up more panels and wire that up to the Victron 150/45 Smart Solar CC. I'll be able to switch PV arrays between the Epever and Victron to see how they perform against each other.

One of my Victron gripes is the plain white boxes. With their pricing, I expect to receive items without having the question as to whether I got the real thing. I'm about to buy a 24/1200 Phoenix inverter and the seller cannot tell me if I'll get a retail or white boxed version (they sell on AMZ). They say they get both.
FWIW, I have alot of Victron devices ..several types ….from several places… ALL of them came in a nifty blue box with pictures and stuff….Except the 2 dongles , mk3 adapter and the battery protect device that I don’t use ( don’t even know why I ordered it) …
. the last item I got was a 24 v 1200 watt inverter , from Amazon…it arrived in a nice blue box …it’s a great device …
the dongles , mk3 and battery protect that came in a white box all came from battle born….
I seriously doubt they aren’t real , and they work fine…
just order from a good American business and you will probably be just great.
J.

LOL. So apparently all Voltronic inverters are difficult to upgrade the firmware on - because of your ONE anecdotal experience...

I upgraded the firmware on my two Voltacon V7 inverters with no problem at all, via a USB cable with 15m of extension USB cables, straight into my PC.

But, as someone who is works in an engineering field (totally unrelated to electrical), I must say, this is some well designed gear. It just works; plug A into B, they integrate together and start working. Cables line up, things are the size they are supposed to be (important for planning), everything feels like it's built well (time will tell if that is correct, but lots of happy customers seems to indicate, it probably is).

Yes, if only Voltronic inverters 'just worked' - it's just SO difficult having an all in one unit, with everything in it, just plug in PV, battery, AC in and AC out cables into ONE unit. I don't know how we all cope with it.

The good thing, at least in the RV world, everyone knows what the "blue stuff" is, and, if you go to sell your RV, a Victron install is going to add a lot more value to the unit than pretty much any other brand. So, eventually, you'll probably get some of that cost back, almost certainly not enough to make up the difference in price, but, some.

Yes, what a good reason for spending ten times as much on Victron products in the first place!

I see Victron owners have now stopped trying to argue their position (because they can't) and are instead just filling up the thread with posts about their personal set ups, like that means anything...

FWIW, I have alot of Victron devices ..several types ….from several places… ALL of them came in a nifty blue box with pictures and stuff….Except the 2 dongles , mk3 adapter and the battery protect device that I don’t use ( don’t even know why I ordered it) …
. the last item I got was a 24 v 1200 watt inverter , from Amazon…it arrived in a nice blue box …it’s a great device …
the dongles , mk3 and battery protect that came in a white box all came from battle born….
I seriously doubt they aren’t real , and they work fine…
just order from a good American business and you will probably be just great.
J.
My Smart shunt came in a destroyed white box, with a small folded up instruction sheet. Both of my 24V/12V converters (20A non-isolated, 9A isolated) both came in a white box. The 150/45 SCC came in a retail, color printed box.

My Smart shunt came in a destroyed white box, with a small folded up instruction sheet. Both of my 24V/12V converters (20A non-isolated, 9A isolated) both came in a white box. The 150/45 SCC came in a retail, color printed box.
Bummer man… where are you ordering these from…? If it’s Amazon , always check to see who is the individual seller ,If Amazon is the shipper it all cool …returns are a breeze…

sometimes somthings are sold AND shipped by 3rd party entity’s On Amazon …You generally won’t get Amazon Prime terms or privileges in that case…

unless I have no choice I won’t buy if it’s not shipped , or shipped and sold by Amazon and has Prime terms of returns…
I want to have control over what arrives without having to deal with an individual business or person… some are great….some are not…jus sayin…
never had a problem with a return or anything else like this and refund is instant…with a 3rd party seller it is all up to what they do…and how fast they wish to do it…
best of luck with your purchases …
J.

Yes, if only Voltronic inverters 'just worked' - it's just SO difficult having an all in one unit, with everything in it, just plug in PV, battery, AC in and AC out cables into ONE unit. I don't know how we all cope with it.

Yes, what a good reason for spending ten times as much on Victron products in the first place!

I see Victron owners have now stopped trying to argue their position (because they can't) and are instead just filling up the thread with posts about their personal set ups, like that means anything...

Huh?

LOL. So apparently all Voltronic inverters are difficult to upgrade the firmware on - because of your ONE anecdotal experience...

I upgraded the firmware on my two Voltacon V7 inverters with no problem at all, via a USB cable with 15m of extension USB cables, straight into my PC.

From what I've seen, it's quite a palaver to get a Epever MPPT communicating with a PC...

On the subject of cost.. I can't believe how cheap Victron has gone now!

Just ordered a 250/70 for £430.
5kva Multiplus II is now £1300 with a free cerbo included
Multiplus II is also on offer for buy 2 and get 1 free, that is £2600 for 15kva of 3 phase power :love:

Just in time for a marine solar setup I'm designing for a friend, all the kit ordered at way less than standard price.

On the subject of cost.. I can't believe how cheap Victron has gone now!

Just ordered a 250/70 for £430.
5kva Multiplus II is now £1300 with a free cerbo included
Multiplus II is also on offer for buy 2 and get 1 free, that is £2600 for 15kva of 3 phase power :love:

Just in time for a marine solar setup I'm designing for a friend, all the kit ordered at way less than standard price.
trow in a couple of these and you have a elceapo system :)

I stopped reading this thread around page 10 because of all the BS. This may have been mentioned. It's actually ON TOPIC!!

From the 250 Manual, section 6.1
"The solar charger will commence battery charging as soon as the PV voltage is 5V higher than the battery voltage. For charging

to continue, the PV voltage must remain at least 1V higher than the battery voltage."

This is a big advantage during early morning, late afternoon, cloudy and rainy days.

48V Starts charging at 53V solar vs 120V which seems to be the norm for higher voltage SCCs.

I stopped reading this thread around page 10 because of all the BS. This may have been mentioned. It's actually ON TOPIC!!

From the 250 Manual, section 6.1
"The solar charger will commence battery charging as soon as the PV voltage is 5V higher than the battery voltage. For charging

to continue, the PV voltage must remain at least 1V higher than the battery voltage."

This is a big advantage during early morning, late afternoon, cloudy and rainy days.

48V Starts charging at 53V solar vs 120V which seems to be the norm for higher voltage SCCs.
This is an awesome feature.

In conclusion, why doesn't Victron make an AIO for the 120/240V market??

I bet it would be totally bitch'n.

If it’s not blue... then you know it’s a word beginning with P... it’s 3 letters long...and it’s got two Os in it ...

diy solar

diy solar
Back