diy solar

diy solar

What to expect during outage

RLW

I would like to add one Encharge 10 and one Encharge 3. Cost prohibits two Encharge 10s. If there is an outage during the day and I'm getting a reasonable amount of sun on a 7.2 kilowatt solar system that produces an avg of 702 KWhs per month, how much power should I expect to have available during the day? Is it enough to run AC, a refrigerator, hot water heater, microwave, and other small essentials?

I would like to add one Encharge 10 and one Encharge 3. Cost prohibits two Encharge 10s. ... 7.2 kilowatt solar system that produces an avg of 702 KWhs per month,...
That's very close to the setup I have, see An Enphase Ensemble Installation; it chronicles my adventures and thoughts (that is it rambles a lot).
I can run my AC, fridge, etc. off it (although I have a soft-starter for the AC).

... If there is an outage during the day and I'm getting a reasonable amount of sun ... how much power should I expect to have available during the day? Is it enough to run AC, a refrigerator, hot water heater, microwave, and other small essentials?
You'd have to run an energy audit to know for sure (see link in signature).

In summer my system generates over >1000kWh/mo and that's enough power during the day to run everything and charge the batteries, but not enough battery power to run everything at night. It also doesn't have enough surge that I can actually run everything, so I have to turn off some high-surge devices less it trip the system (e.g., can't start the AC and the garbage disposer at the same time).

But, 702 kWh/mo / 31 = ~22 kWh/d. If you deleted your batteries overnight, then that leaves 22 - 13 = 9 kWh/d extra. Over 6 hours of prime sun that's roughly 9/6 = 1.5 kW worth of devices.

Back