diy solar

diy solar

Whats your average KWH hour household ?

Nope. Not in this context. SRP has some jackass formula that bases the "solar surcharge" on the highest 30 minutes of usage over the last 12 months. They also have dozens of nearly arrays to have a good estimate of what kind of power a system of a given size will return. There is some "net metering," but it gets destroyed by the surcharge.

Turn your phone sideways and check my sig.
Tab #1? Not following

Wow, I'm a little amazed by the numbers people throw out. My *worst* month ever was 9 kWh/day, due to the working from home and school closure. We are 2 adults, 2 children in an apartment without dishwasher or laundry, hot water and heat provided by the building, so I expected to be on the low side. But still.

Wow, I'm a little amazed by the numbers people throw out. My *worst* month ever was 9 kWh/day, due to the working from home and school closure. We are 2 adults, 2 children in an apartment without dishwasher or laundry, hot water and heat provided by the building, so I expected to be on the low side. But still.

My wife's bill at her condo was $8/month. Was probably 80 kWh/month so 2.5 or 3 kWh/day. Fridge, occasional light, nothing else.

Many homes have electric heat (condo did, but that was a summer bill), and some places need air conditioning to be livable. Not unheard of for people to spend $600 to $800 on electricity. That's not just for more watts used, but also prices 3x to 5x as high due to higher usage.

Averaging 15kwh per day for two households, 3 grown ups in total (rental unit under the main house).
Mostly LEDs, most power points metered and switched off automatically.
Main consumers are fridges, washing machine, dishwasher, heating and cooling.

I've been tracking mine since I just finished up getting quotes for a 9.7kW system that will hopefully be installed within 3 months. I average 34kWh per day in a poorly insulated 2000sqft cape cod in NJ.
Hi Mike

would it not be a good idea to try and insulate you home better first.
Yes this will cost up front but the savings long term could save you $$$$$$$

Hi Mike

would it not be a good idea to try and insulate you home better first.
Yes this will cost up front but the savings long term could save you $$$$$$$

Maybe/maybe not.
Perhaps attic and floor insulation could be done well.
If walls got blown-in insulation (rather than batts with vapor barrier), humidity from interior can pass through and condense on the inside of cold exterior walls, causing decay. Much cheaper to pay the heating bill than to tear apart and rebuild the house.
Removing sheetrock to insulate properly would also cost more than just extra heating bill.

35 kWh/day (average) can be produced with 7 kW PV system, cost around $7000. (At least I could put one in for that, with $3500 worth of PV panels and inverters.) Don't know what professionally installed costs these days. With net metering, what is produced in the summer earns credits for winter consumption.

I live in a 75 years old house and my daily average it’s 10kw and between 300 and 350 kW in a month. I have 3 fridges, air conditioner only in the principal bedroom, 2 fishbowls of 30 gallons with the filter, 1 fountain for a 60 gallon pond, and of course all the lights are smart led lights and most of the outlets are smart outlets. It’s only me and my partner and normally it’s between 250watts and 500watts per hour so I run the house totally during the day with only 1800 watts of solar panels power.

Back