diy solar

diy solar

Whats your average KWH hour household ?

20 miles down the coast from the Oregon/California border - a narrow strip of spring follows the coast up almost into Washington. Go a few miles inland and things are very different.
Wow, never been to the coast in Oregon, will have to check it out. Thanks!

I am in CA, and around 8-10kWh/day. Since Covid, have been using a little more power but have been working on power efficiency and that has given me pretty good results. Don't think I can get much lower than 8-10kWh w/o more solar.

San Jose, CA small house, one year's January bill shows 54 kWh/day net consumption.
Not sure how much my grid-tie PV system produced because I don't bother logging. In Winter, half the panels get shade due to SW orientation and foliage, need to reorient SE. Might have been 10 to 15 kWh/day.
I deliberately use electric heat to burn off surplus instead of gas heat, because surplus kWh are paid out at $0.04/kWh and surplus $$ credit (based on different value different time of day) are forfeit.
New rates/hours are in effect this year, $0.15, $0.30, $0.45/kWh depending on time of day.
That (Jan 2017) month's usage at latest rates would be billed somewhere between $250 and $750, depending on how the kWh were spread over time of day.
Estimate $400 ~ $500/month (in Winter) cost of utilities for this house if all electric, as required for new property development. Probably well insulated would make a big difference (has uninsulated exposed-beam ceiling in main room).

Gotta say.. WOW some folks are seriously heavy on power use.

I could tell you that prior to my building my place, living in a "regular" structure, I used a lot more but that was due to structural & design deficiencies. I designed & built my home to be as energy efficient as I could... For all intents & purposes, it is a SIP (Structural Insulated Panel) type of construction. R32 walls which are also Thermally broken & with Rainscreen siding installation, R45 Cathedral Roof, also thermally broken and using a Cool Roof system. Even the foundation is a FPSF (Frost Protected Slab Foundation) with 4" of HD-XPS for R20 (code requires R10) which has Radiant Heating.

I'm averaging 3.5kwh per day, year round !
Before moving onto my property, I was easily using double that, after having trimmed off excess "junk" and switched to high efficiency appliances and devices.

But is IS a cheat - well not really...
The house cools itself in summer because of the roof & wall systems, the building does not absorb exterior heat. The slab once cooled acts as a thermo-regulator and as such, the house never gets warmer than 26°C/°78F, even when it is 38°C / 100°F outside. Again, also due to the Thermally broken walls & roof with the screening system, that prevents the cold outside from sucking the heat out of the structure.

Hot Water (On-Demand System), Radiant Heating (On-Demand System with glycol), cook stove are LPG (Propane) and the most I have used in one full year (12 months) was two 310 litre tanks for a total of 620 litres of propane. LPG was selected in advance for using BIO-GAS. Jetting etc don't have to be changed for it and the pressure regulators are identical. BTW, People in Alaska, North West Territories use BioGas successfully as well as the rest of the world... some places are just regressively slow to adopt the tech.
This is awesome... way above my paygrade BUT definitely worth me looking more into

Here in Sweden we get away with not running AC during the summer, but it’s the winter when the bigger bills come, as our house has electric heating (ground source heat pump) and temps can get to -10C regularly and to -30C rarely.

I’ve been on a campaign of reducing our consumption over the last few years and got us down from nearly 12,000kWh per year to under 5,000kWh this year. That’s an average of 13.4kWh/day and it’s a 1670 sq ft 2 storey house. The reductions have come from the combined effects of all sorts of measures I’ve taken. Lots of insulation improvements. More efficient appliances, killing standby consumption by switching off at the wall, etc.. The only contribution from solar began from Oct 2020, so I’m hoping to further reduce the numbers next year to keep up my year on year improvements. It’s a rewarding and addictive game! To me it made sense to get the energy consumption under control before trying to use solar power to take some of the load, as the alternative of continuing to be profligate and wasting power gets far more expensive when you have to buy a whole load more solar gear. My interest in solar actually came as a result of needing to find a way to keep winning this game ;)

I may as well add these stats which I’ve kept track of since moving into this house in Apr 2016. The cumulative figures represent the total of the prior 12 months consumption / cost and the cost figures are in Swedish Kronor (multiply by 0.12 for USD). 1 KWh of electricity costs1.1 kronor or $0.13 here.

View attachment 31402
I completely agree I am looking at lowering out electricity usage.. but the wife is not along for the ride lol

I'm in Nicaragua where the tiered electricity can run to $.35-.40 per kwh. My use is about 5kwh per day, half of that because of espresso machines. I'll get a new one next year that will cut it down to 500w per day. No TV or radio, 2 Mac minis and 2 MacBooks. Inverter fridge and a small chest freezer both bought within 2 years use 1.5kwh per day. No idea what the washer uses but only twice a week. Going to full solar in the next 3 months with 5-10 kw of batteries. Two hurricanes in 10 days and widespread devastation proved the need for self reliance.

Gotta say.. WOW some folks are seriously heavy on power use.

I could tell you that prior to my building my place, living in a "regular" structure, I used a lot more but that was due to structural & design deficiencies. I designed & built my home to be as energy efficient as I could... For all intents & purposes, it is a SIP (Structural Insulated Panel) type of construction. R32 walls which are also Thermally broken & with Rainscreen siding installation, R45 Cathedral Roof, also thermally broken and using a Cool Roof system. Even the foundation is a FPSF (Frost Protected Slab Foundation) with 4" of HD-XPS for R20 (code requires R10) which has Radiant Heating.

I'm averaging 3.5kwh per day, year round !
Before moving onto my property, I was easily using double that, after having trimmed off excess "junk" and switched to high efficiency appliances and devices.

But is IS a cheat - well not really...
The house cools itself in summer because of the roof & wall systems, the building does not absorb exterior heat. The slab once cooled acts as a thermo-regulator and as such, the house never gets warmer than 26°C/°78F, even when it is 38°C / 100°F outside. Again, also due to the Thermally broken walls & roof with the screening system, that prevents the cold outside from sucking the heat out of the structure.

Hot Water (On-Demand System), Radiant Heating (On-Demand System with glycol), cook stove are LPG (Propane) and the most I have used in one full year (12 months) was two 310 litre tanks for a total of 620 litres of propane. LPG was selected in advance for using BIO-GAS. Jetting etc don't have to be changed for it and the pressure regulators are identical. BTW, People in Alaska, North West Territories use BioGas successfully as well as the rest of the world... some places are just regressively slow to adopt the tech.
What I find amazing when I hear about very energy efficient houses like yours, Dacian’s and other eco homes, is that the regular housing stock production industry doesn’t at least begin to incorporate some of the ideas. I’m not even sure it’s on grounds of cost, just sheer lack of ambition and perhaps lack of public demand thru lack of knowledge of what’s achievable. Certainly, once you make an effort with building a house to be low energy, remarkable results are possible.

What I find amazing when I hear about very energy efficient houses like yours, Dacian’s and other eco homes, is that the regular housing stock production industry doesn’t at least begin to incorporate some of the ideas. I’m not even sure it’s on grounds of cost, just sheer lack of ambition and perhaps lack of public demand thru lack of knowledge of what’s achievable. Certainly, once you make an effort with building a house to be low energy, remarkable results are possible.
Commercial SIPS are not cheap but they are much easier to build with, provided the right builder is used & they know what they are doing with SIPs. I designed & "Stick Built" my home and I was fortunate enough to locate a Commercial Roofer that supplied most of my hard foam insulation sheets. The XPS, EPS & PolyISO. It was also very labour intensive as I did it all by myself. Simply put, I was "On a mission". The cost was nowhere near what many people think it should have been. IE: I paid $8.00 per sheet of 4'x8'x4" PolyISO which cannot even be bought retail.

Conserving Energy and being Efficient is far less costly than Generation & Storage of energy... That pay back is very fast, starting with immediate livability, the second is the haemorrhaging of cash for "utilities" stopping. I cannot tell you how GOOD it felt to tell the Big Power Co to go get STUFFED (I am off-grid).

Wow, never been to the coast in Oregon, will have to check it out. Thanks!

I am in CA, and around 8-10kWh/day. Since Covid, have been using a little more power but have been working on power efficiency and that has given me pretty good results. Don't think I can get much lower than 8-10kWh w/o more solar.
These are on the California side of the border - our nearest 'city' Crescent City lighthouse, Budiroux at the still pristine Smith River - the jewel of the Northcoast - and one of the multitudes of Roosevelt Elk (the largest Elk) that roam the area in herds. Several of the Jurassic Park, and Walking With Dinosaurs have been filmed here under the Coastal Redwoods (a UNESCO World Heritage Site) the tallest trees on Earth, and the mouth of Wilson Creek at False Klamath Cove, not far from here. Mostly public land, but I wouldn't consider living anywhere else.

Attachments

• PXL_20201204_005550687.jpg
    PXL_20201204_005550687.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20200821_190521.jpg
    IMG_20200821_190521.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20201002_013209290.jpg
    PXL_20201002_013209290.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 6
  • wilsoncreek3a.jpg
    wilsoncreek3a.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 6
90 kWH average for last december and it was really mild weather. I think worst years have been about 120 kWh per day for jan-feb
Mostly direct electric heat with some occasional heat pump use. "eco" house by 1980's standards: 4-panel windows, 8" insulation on walls.

Southern Finland, 60N or about same as Anchorage..

90 kWH average for last december and it was really mild weather. I think worst years have been about 120 kWh per day for jan-feb
Mostly direct electric heat with some occasional heat pump use. "eco" house by 1980's standards: 4-panel windows, 8" insulation on walls.

Southern Finland, 60N or about same as Anchorage..
Wow Matti, that’s extraordinarily high. That direct El heating really sucks the power! I’m at 59,5N with a ground source heat pump, and my Dec figures are 18-29kWh per day, depending on the weather.

At my place in the city, about 13kWh a day here. Heating is district heating, so that's why this number is low. I think most of Finland is moving to heat pumps instead of direct electric as used by @MattiFin. At the off-grid place, 5kWh or less. I would say insulation makes a huge difference; all windows are triple pane as well, and from past experience this makes a big difference (and it's standard here nowadays, and from what I gather, much cheaper than in the States).

Wow Matti, that’s extraordinarily high. That direct El heating really sucks the power! I’m at 59,5N with a ground source heat pump, and my Dec figures are 18-29kWh per day, depending on the weather.
Just checked and we use 30kWh even during summer months. :whistle: Females living in the household like hot showers...and sauna stove is also heated with electric. Includes also small garage/hobby shop. And I don't like to work in candlelight, garage lightning takes ~500W alone.

Was looking at geothermal heat pumps but ROI doesn't look that attractive. Just drilling 200m to granite bedrock is 6000 euros in here.

Just checked and we use 30kWh even during summer months. :whistle: Females living in the household like hot showers...and sauna stove is also heated with electric. Includes also small garage/hobby shop. And I don't like to work in candlelight, garage lightning takes ~500W alone.

Was looking at geothermal heat pumps but ROI doesn't look that attractive. Just drilling 200m to granite bedrock is 6000 euros in here.
Wow... that’s another level. I use around 200-250kWh per month thru the summer. No pool, sauna and hot water via the bergvärme (GSHP) comes cheaply. when we moved here four years ago our summer consumption was around 725kWh/month with a direct Electric immersion hot water cylinder.

My heating system with 190m borehole was nearly €17k to install 3 years ago, but with the saving on firewood and electricity consumption, I calculate the ROI is 9 years or less than that if electricity prices rise (as they will).

I‘d ask some vendors to quote for a a geothermal heatpump and see what electricity use savings they forecast. Of course salesman’s figures aren’t reliable, but with what you’re spending on heating I wouldn’t be surprised if you can get a similar or better payback period than the one I mentioned.

And I don't like to work in candlelight, garage lightning takes ~500W alone.

Not LED?

I‘d ask some vendors to quote for a a geothermal heatpump and see what electricity use savings they forecast. Of course salesman’s figures aren’t reliable, but with that you’re spending on heating I wouldn’t be surprised if you can get a similar or better payback period than the one I mentioned.

A good geothermal heat pump has a Coefficient of Performance (CoP) > 4. Meaning that for every 1kWh of electricity you get 4kWh of heat out of it; this depends on season as well, so I'm using an average, the CoP can be higher in certain conditions. The best efficiency comes when you can couple if to a low temperature heating system (such as underfloor hydronic) in combination with very good insulation.

Back