diy solar

diy solar

Whats your average KWH hour household ?

A modern AC unit will do that without the expense of Geo down to about -5C .

Yeah, but since over here we have a heating season that lasts 8 months with temperatures being way lower than that... :)
Generally we don't need cooling in summer - that's what the lakes are for! (for those couple of days a year it gets warm enough).

Generally we don't need cooling in summer - that's what the lakes are for! (for those couple of days a year it gets warm enough).
It is a good summer if you need AC to cool your house in here. Happens maybe every third year. 2 week streak maybe once in a decade.

OK wow I guess we are very wasteful and thanks to looking up solar projects and this forum it has me looking up out bills. OUR average daily KWH is 26.2 for 2 people in a single family household. WHAT is your average
With what we currently have “active”. The last day of good production was Nov 16! That is the second photo. You can see when the car was plugged in. The first one is for the month so far. I have our usage goal set to 900KWh per month. Some months we beat it by a couple hundred but December and so far this month have been cold and cloudy. We have a mini split and whole house HVAC. When the temp goes below 25, we fire up the wood burner In the basement.
All LED lighting, gas water heater, dryer and stove. We have an “always on” usage of ~310W. Right now, all our expensive equipment throughout the house is plugged into 1500VA PSW UPSs and we have a lot of smart things and 2 fish tanks. That is the main reason for the 310W. The mini-split and the PHEV are the biggest users. Purchased a 32KWHr ”power wall” that will power 10 critical load circuits and have a dedicated 8KW array to top them off. An additional 10KW of panels along with the 8KW for the battery will go into service when I get off my butt, ignore the cold and finish the solar carport/w storage project. Predicting only to have to pay line fees and taxes for power after that.

Attachments

• C226F7B1-449A-4D2D-8781-909B1A15ABAF.png
    C226F7B1-449A-4D2D-8781-909B1A15ABAF.png
    113.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 5EF22841-D2A1-40F6-AA65-F1DF7A69FB8E.png
    5EF22841-D2A1-40F6-AA65-F1DF7A69FB8E.png
    154.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Yea 75 kWh is alot. Wow. No Pool??? and July 120kWh a day. You need to get you own SMR installed in the back yard. (Small Modular Reactor)

We just bought an 2500 sq ft home brand new. We still own our other home paid for but now rent it out. It was 1750 sq feet. I thought the power bill would go up alot and we would use more energy but not the case.

We are in the North West Florida area. Just wife and I and a cat. The Grand babies are over alot. :)

We also have Extra insulation, 4 ton heat pump, all double pane Low-E windows, all lights are LED. Matter of fact we just had radiant barrier installed though out the entire attic even over the 3 car garage. That will make a big difference in the summer.

Here is our daily usage. The high days of 40+ kWh use was two guys building a shed in the back yard and used this old air compressor. LOL

The power now is not live because I have my home built energy monitor disconnected right now and adding another two channel board for two more CT's we just had a solar system installed and going to monitor it also.

8lb9LAu.jpg

SMR huh, Pretty sure our company shelved the plans for that. The latest and greatest is the Micro Reactor based off of space reactor tech. Depending on your back yard it could be placed there via semi. Search eVinci.

Checked my December bill.
I've been using electric heat to burn-off surplus before true-up at anniversary of signing up for net-metering.

Bill shows net consumption of 33 kWh/day
I don't log PV production, so just read that at the end of today (1/16/20) which would be a somewhat longer day.
But this doesn't account for any overcast days during the billing month, error in opposite direction.
PV production at end of today, 53 kWh.

Total estimated daily consumption for December (running electric heat), 86 kWh/day

for 30 days, 800 KWH,
That is on TOP of my nearly $130 natural gas bill for heating.
When I use my roof deicing heating coils, my electric is around $200 and extra 400 KWH

I am cheap, I mean value conscious and lights are nearly all LEDs, Front loading washing machine that runs 2x week on average. I have up trying to figure out what is using my power.
Do you have underground powerline feeding your house? Line leakage from a failed cable may be eating you wallet.

After living in my 1958 house for 20 years, built when they could not spell the word warmth, I finally said enough is enough and got a modular home. Warm, spacious, we like it. We planted it right beside the old shack and use shack power during construction. One day, no power.... I went to the pole and checked, yes the power was on but the pole breaker jumped. I turned it on and it popped. Fired up the genset and it popped the breaker.
I used an ohm meter and determined that the underground cable was welded together.
I had the underground line put in when we bought it as the triplex line was almost touching the clothes line. Cheap contractor used that unshielded crap that looks like lumex and must have damaged the insulation during install. I pissed power into the ground for years, and my power consumption was heavy.

The lesson is when installing underground power, only use Teck 90. It is armored and shielded, has a separate ground wire, and will not fail.

Do you have underground powerline feeding your house? Line leakage from a failed cable may be eating you wallet.

After living in my 1958 house for 20 years, built when they could not spell the word warmth, I finally said enough is enough and got a modular home. Warm, spacious, we like it. We planted it right beside the old shack and use shack power during construction. One day, no power.... I went to the pole and checked, yes the power was on but the pole breaker jumped. I turned it on and it popped. Fired up the genset and it popped the breaker.
I used an ohm meter and determined that the underground cable was welded together.
I had the underground line put in when we bought it as the triplex line was almost touching the clothes line. Cheap contractor used that unshielded crap that looks like lumex and must have damaged the insulation during install. I pissed power into the ground for years, and my power consumption was heavy.

The lesson is when installing underground power, only use Teck 90. It is armored and shielded, has a separate ground wire, and will not fail.
Good find, yes, looking at my draw with everything off is wonderful idea to find leaks etc.
This spring I will make an attempt.

Our average per month is as low as 15KHW a day in April and October, to about 50 per day last winter when it got down in the teens for a few days and the electric heat seemed to never shut off. It costs us a lot more to heat than to cool per day, but we have a whole lot more cooling days than heating days. I love the spring and fall when we can open windows, unfortunately we don't get a lot of those. Yes, most of energy use goes to heating and cooling.

We have natural gas here but only use it for the cooktop and the clothes dryer. We are doing a renovation and plan to replace the existing 35+year-old HVAC with something more efficient. Also want to add a gas heater for redundancy.

Last edited:
10 per day single family cabin when I charge the Leaf 4 a day when I don't.

I've been tracking mine since I just finished up getting quotes for a 9.7kW system that will hopefully be installed within 3 months. I average 34kWh per day in a poorly insulated 2000sqft cape cod in NJ.

Heh. Mesa too.

You have grid-tie? SRP makes it a real pain. So much so, I'm trying to figure out what to do with my 10kW of panels from SanTan instead of grid-tie.

Zero-export.

Simple approach, connect to a grid-tie inverter on the A/C compressor side of its relay. When A/C is running, PV is enabled.

Zero-export.

Simple approach, connect to a grid-tie inverter on the A/C compressor side of its relay. When A/C is running, PV is enabled.

Right, but there's that code compliance thing. Just not worth it. I'll end up having about 16kW out at Honey Badger Ranch... :)

Heh. Mesa too.

You have grid-tie? SRP makes it a real pain. So much so, I'm trying to figure out what to do with my 10kW of panels from SanTan instead of grid-tie.
I haven't done anything yet, probably grid tied. I can get about 8kw of panels on the second floor roof, unfortunately it shades the second half of the roof in winter.

I haven't done anything yet, probably grid tied. I can get about 8kw of panels on the second floor roof, unfortunately it shades the second half of the roof in winter.

Have you used SRP's tool to estimate your bill? 10kW would provide 60% of my annual energy needs. Would save me 32% on my bill. 10kW for $10K with a 10 year pay-back. SRP application process for a grid-tie contract is complicated and requires use of licensed installers. NEC2017 compliance requires a cut off per panel meaning you need another $40-50 per panel to add that.

Just do your research before you commit $. :)

Pvwatts
Have you used SRP's tool to estimate your bill? 10kW would provide 60% of my annual energy needs. Would save me 32% on my bill. 10kW for $10K with a 10 year pay-back. SRP application process for a grid-tie contract is complicated and requires use of licensed installers. NEC2017 compliance requires a cut off per panel meaning you need another $40-50 per panel to add that.

Just do your research before you commit $. :)
Hot tip: pvwatts is a better tool to use for estimating size of system to bill

Pvwatts

Hot tip: pvwatts is a better tool to use for estimating size of system to bill

Nope. Not in this context. SRP has some jackass formula that bases the "solar surcharge" on the highest 30 minutes of usage over the last 12 months. They also have dozens of nearby arrays to have a good estimate of what kind of power a system of a given size will return. There is some "net metering," but it gets destroyed by the surcharge.

Turn your phone sideways and check my sig.

Last edited:
Back