diy solar

diy solar

Whats your average KWH hour household ?

800 KWH, how, I dunno, I think my neighbors are stealing my power to send signals to aliens or something.
To add salt to my open wounds, the power co keeps sending me these colorful letters to show HOW flucking inefficient my home is, lol.
2 adults and 1 kid.

I have 2 fridge and 1 feezer running, that is about it.
Are you sure thats not for the month?

WHERE is here I am tire of the Chicago winters and can retire in 5 years
20 miles down the coast from the Oregon/California border - a narrow strip of spring follows the coast up almost into Washington. Go a few miles inland and things are very different.

meh...
house temp 70f outside temp 120f Delta T - 50f
house temp 70f outside temp -10f Delta T - 80f

That's only a valid comparison if you're using a heat pump. When heating, you have the option of fire. You don't get that option with cooling.

My neighbor has a 3 story 3200 sq-ft timber frame with mega-insulated SIPs. They use about 6kWh/day.

BUT it's basically just lights, a fridge and the clothes washer, dishwasher. The house is so well insulated, they don't have A/C, and they need very little heat. If they need heat, they typically fire up their wood burning stove, so the furnace is rarely used.

Stove/oven, Dryer, water heater/furnace are all propane and even his well pump is run from a diesel generator - about 4-6 hours per week (working to get this run via PV w/6kW inverter.

We use well more than that in a 5th wheel RV parked 1/4 mile away as we use an electric water heater and an absorption fridge (can use 5kWh/day on its own).

Moral to the above?

Don't be too impressed with other's results until you know the deets... :)

Are you sure thats not for the month?
for 30 days, 800 KWH,
That is on TOP of my nearly $130 natural gas bill for heating.
When I use my roof deicing heating coils, my electric is around $200 and extra 400 KWH

I am cheap, I mean value conscious and lights are nearly all LEDs, Front loading washing machine that runs 2x week on average. I have up trying to figure out what is using my power.

10 to 11 kwh per day avg. 2,500sf single family house with 2 occupants SoCal. We definitely have more margin for efficiency as well.
Base electricity cost here is a ripofff 27 cents per kwh. The rate tiers go as high as 48 cents per kwh at peak.
Wow power is alot there. Ours is around 13 cent a kWh with all the tax and all included.

Wow power is alot there. Ours is around 13 cent a kWh with all the tax and all included.

All utility rates, gasoline prices, property taxes, real estate costs, sales tax, income tax, pretty much everything is a ripoff here. We'd be out of here except for elderly parents who cannot be convinced to leave. Sigh...

About 12 kWhrs average per day household use including hybrid electric water heater and electric dryer. Gas cooking and heating.

I assume those are two separate devices? :)

hybrid electric water heater = heat pump + element to push them to final temp?

All Electric Condo - Average about 25kwh. High -heating season (electric heat) 45 kwh Low Season (Spring) (No Heat/No A/C) 15kwh.
Cost 11.9cents per kwh.

800 KWH, how, I dunno, I think my neighbors are stealing my power to send signals to aliens or something.
To add salt to my open wounds, the power co keeps sending me these colorful letters to show HOW flucking inefficient my home is, lol.
2 adults and 1 kid.

I have 2 fridge and 1 feezer running, that is about it.
800 KWH a day? Or is that per month?

OK wow I guess we are very wasteful and thanks to looking up solar projects and this forum it has me looking up out bills. OUR average daily KWH is 26.2 for 2 people in a single family household. WHAT is your average
About 35 average over the year. 1800sq ft, all electric, 2 people. We run AC and heat both for several months a year.

Gotta say.. WOW some folks are seriously heavy on power use.

I could tell you that prior to my building my place, living in a "regular" structure, I used a lot more but that was due to structural & design deficiencies. I designed & built my home to be as energy efficient as I could... For all intents & purposes, it is a SIP (Structural Insulated Panel) type of construction. R32 walls which are also Thermally broken & with Rainscreen siding installation, R45 Cathedral Roof, also thermally broken and using a Cool Roof system. Even the foundation is a FPSF (Frost Protected Slab Foundation) with 4" of HD-XPS for R20 (code requires R10) which has Radiant Heating.

I'm averaging 3.5kwh per day, year round !
Before moving onto my property, I was easily using double that, after having trimmed off excess "junk" and switched to high efficiency appliances and devices.

But is IS a cheat - well not really...
The house cools itself in summer because of the roof & wall systems, the building does not absorb exterior heat. The slab once cooled acts as a thermo-regulator and as such, the house never gets warmer than 26°C/°78F, even when it is 38°C / 100°F outside. Again, also due to the Thermally broken walls & roof with the screening system, that prevents the cold outside from sucking the heat out of the structure.

Hot Water (On-Demand System), Radiant Heating (On-Demand System with glycol), cook stove are LPG (Propane) and the most I have used in one full year (12 months) was two 310 litre tanks for a total of 620 litres of propane. LPG was selected in advance for using BIO-GAS. Jetting etc don't have to be changed for it and the pressure regulators are identical. BTW, People in Alaska, North West Territories use BioGas successfully as well as the rest of the world... some places are just regressively slow to adopt the tech.

Here in Sweden we get away with not running AC during the summer, but it’s the winter when the bigger bills come, as our house has electric heating (ground source heat pump) and temps can get to -10C regularly and to -30C rarely.

I’ve been on a campaign of reducing our consumption over the last few years and got us down from nearly 12,000kWh per year to under 5,000kWh this year. That’s an average of 13.4kWh/day and it’s a 1670 sq ft 2 storey house. The reductions have come from the combined effects of all sorts of measures I’ve taken. Lots of insulation improvements. More efficient appliances, killing standby consumption by switching off at the wall, etc.. The only contribution from solar began from Oct 2020, so I’m hoping to further reduce the numbers next year to keep up my year on year improvements. It’s a rewarding and addictive game! To me it made sense to get the energy consumption under control before trying to use solar power to take some of the load, as the alternative of continuing to be profligate and wasting power gets far more expensive when you have to buy a whole load more solar gear. My interest in solar actually came as a result of needing to find a way to keep winning this game ;)

I may as well add these stats which I’ve kept track of since moving into this house in Apr 2016. The cumulative figures represent the total of the prior 12 months consumption / cost and the cost figures are in Swedish Kronor (multiply by 0.12 for USD). 1 KWh of electricity costs1.1 kronor or $0.13 here.

D09F1016-45C3-43ED-B1C1-88432C3C971F.jpeg

Last edited:
Back