diy solar

diy solar

Alibaba LiFePo4 batteries

I'm in the US. The total bill for the eight cells was 850 USD delivered to the door including 50+ for sales tax. They shipped by Fedex. Yes, the shipping was a prolonged agony of waiting:eek:. I did ask RJ Energy for a quote and for 8 X 160AH cells they quoted me a "subtotal" of 1160 including taxes, shipping, customs, etc. I'm not sure why they used the term "subtotal". I was very tempted to try this supplier, with their 5-year warranty and promise of grade A cells, but it would have pushed the project over budget.

Packaging was well done:
batt_0.jpg

Bus bars:
batt_03.jpg

batt_01.jpg

Studs can accommodate multiple connectors:
batt_04.jpg

Bus bars - they are nickel plated copper, thickness is roughly .065", overall length = 3.1", holes will take up to .25" stud, slots will take on-center distances between studs from roughly 1.9" to 2.3".
batt_05.jpg

batt_02.jpg

--mark

Bus bars - they are nickel plated copper, thickness is roughly .065", overall length = 3.1", holes will take up to .25" stud, slots will take on-center distances between studs from roughly 1.9" to 2.3".
View attachment 5040

View attachment 5041

--mark

Looks like you got some good quality cells, and it looks like the reseller puts some care and thought into their product!

And as we all stated earlier -- for some reason DELIGREN (China) has really dropped their battery prices down .. the last 16 we have got from the (8 at a time) was all Brand new - Grade A - and had slightly higher aH then they were sold for -- and I think we paid right at $880 delivered for 8 ... so while we like RJ Lithium because they are great suppliers - for us its all about the money and the savings and we pass that onto the customers -- so for right now we are keeping DELIGREEN busy ...

Update on my order, DeliGreen said their supplier is out of stock for busbars. They asked me if I would prefer a late shipment in 3 weeks after Chinese new year or a refund. Think I will take the refund and just make my own from copper pipe.

And as we all stated earlier -- for some reason DELIGREN (China) has really dropped their battery prices down .. the last 16 we have got from the (8 at a time) was all Brand new - Grade A - and had slightly higher aH then they were sold for -- and I think we paid right at $880 delivered for 8 ... so while we like RJ Lithium because they are great suppliers - for us its all about the money and the savings and we pass that onto the customers -- so for right now we are keeping DELIGREEN busy ...

What can you say about the physical condition? Some of the blue aluminum cells from resellers have been reported to be pretty sloppy, pitted terminals, sloppily applied top covers stuck over the original cover and qr code, flimsy sidewall, skimpy busbars.

But a lot of the blue cells have been pretty solid quality as well. The 150AH cells posted by @Xiryx look great (I believe those are sold by BLS manufactured by HiGee). Not as strong or robust as CALB and SinoPoly but for most people that doesn't really matter.

What are your overall impressions of the Deligreen cells physically? Am I right in assuming these are the 190 or 200 ah cells manufactured by CATL with QR's removed?

What can you say about the physical condition? Some of the blue aluminum cells from resellers have been reported to be pretty sloppy, pitted terminals, sloppily applied top covers stuck over the original cover and qr code, flimsy sidewall, skimpy busbars.

But a lot of the blue cells have been pretty solid quality as well. The 150AH cells posted by @Xiryx look great (I believe those are sold by BLS manufactured by HiGee). Not as strong or robust as CALB and SinoPoly but for most people that doesn't really matter.

What are your overall impressions of the Deligreen cells physically? Am I right in assuming these are the 190 or 200 ah cells manufactured by CATL with QR's removed?

Our DELIGREN cells had that "new car" smell (LOL) ... no scratches .. terminals were fresh ... tested above the aH rated by a couple of amps ... no scratches or anything on the side ... so either it was a fresh battery OR they went to a lot of trouble to grind the terminals - and re-wrap it ... now of course the batteries we get next week from them may be totally different .. BUT DELIGREN is a huge company in China so odds are they have lowered their pricing to get their sales numbers up before beginning of Chinese New Year in a few days ...

I am looking at those CATL cells too. The lack of qr code or manufacturer documentation, and they do not balance the cells before shipping has me skittish.

I received my order of 16pcs 150Ah cells from BLS yesterday. This was the timeline:

2019-11-29 Order placed
2019-12-02 UPS tracking number received
2020-01-08 Tracking number traceable in Germany
2020-01-13 First scan of the parcels
2020-01-15 Goods delivered in Sweden

I've not yet paid any additional fees, duties or taxes.

The packaging was very well done and arrived in perfect condition. The bus bars and fasteners included were of the same type as pictured by Xiryx above. The bus bars are made of two layers, each about 0.75 mm thick and 20 mm wide, for a total ~30mm2 section.

I'll try to take time this weekend to start doing capacity testing of each cell.

I received my order of 16pcs 150Ah cells from BLS yesterday. This was the timeline:

2019-11-29 Order placed

The packaging was very well done and arrived in perfect condition. The bus bars and fasteners included were of the same type as pictured by Xiryx above. The bus bars are made of two layers, each about 0.75 mm thick and 20 mm wide, for a total ~30mm2 section.

I'll try to take time this weekend to start doing capacity testing of each cell.
Looking forward to your test results, BLS cells seem to have increased in price recently

Looking forward to your test results, BLS cells seem to have increased in price recently

I started looking at these cells in mid November. The price has been the same since then. There have been various sales along the way. I bought mine at Black Friday sale. There has been several others. Right now there is no sale, but the base price is the same as two months ago.

Last edited:

2019-11-29 Order placed

Thanks for this post. It seems I have to wait still few weeks before I get to step 3: Tracking number traceable in Germany. I was impatiently checking status with UPS in last 10 days, but now I can calm down and give it few extra weeks. Thanks for calming my hormones.

As promised, here are the results of the first round of capacity testing. All the cells were well within .02 V differential on delivery so no conditioning pre-treatment was applied. The procedure was as follows:
  1. Wire the pack in a 2P 4S 12V configuration
  2. Charge @ ~40A CC until 14V CV threshold was reached
  3. Continue charging until charging cell voltages reached 3.43 -3.45 and current tapered to < 10A
  4. Terminate charging
  5. Synch the BMV
  6. Discharge the pack at initial rate of 40A tapering down to < 20A until the first cell went below discharging voltage of 2.75V
Overview of the results at discharge termination:
20200117_075225.gif
So for an 8-cell pack rated at 300 AH, I only achieved 280 AH before the first cell (pair) went below 2.75. Also, I expected the Daly BMS to trip the LVC at this point, but it did not. I had to manually terminate discharge. Individual cell voltages at end of discharge are shown:
cellVoltage_terminal.jpg

Looks like there was still plenty of juice in three of the cell pairs, and cell pair #1 fell off the cliff prematurely. Afterward, I disassembled the pack and measured the individual static voltages on each cell, and found one of the cells in pair #1 at 2.99. All of the seven remaining cell were at 3.20 or 3.21.

Before I cry "bad cell", I am going to perform a Parallel Step-Method Top Balance as described in Marine How To, and bring each cell up to 3.6 and then re-perform the discharge test. I will pair the "lazy" cell with a different cell and also place it in a different position within the pack for this test. If it still performs the same way, I will present all of the results and documentation to the reseller (BLS Battery Store) and we'll see how they treat it. In fact I better report it now so they know what I'm up to. Has anyone else filed bad cell claims with this reseller, and if so, what was the outcome?

I'll keep this updated as the world turns...
--mark

Let's hope it's just a balancing issue! Because yes the cells may have arrived at the same voltage, but because they are sent with around 50% SOC (which is good) they are in the flat part of the Voltage v. Amphours curve. So it could be that the first cell was actually at 45% SOC while the others where as 55% and still showed a very close voltage.

Did you do a top balance during your initial charge? Or did you just stopped the charge according to the voltage of the whole battery? Following the individual voltages of the cells during charge should be quite informative.

Anyway you'll know more after the balancing process.

Let's hope it's just a balancing issue! Because yes the cells may have arrived at the same voltage, but because they are sent with around 50% SOC (which is good) they are in the flat part of the Voltage v. Amphours curve. So it could be that the first cell was actually at 45% SOC while the others where as 55% and still showed a very close voltage.

Did you do a top balance during your initial charge? Or did you just stopped the charge according to the voltage of the whole battery? Following the individual voltages of the cells during charge should be quite informative.

Anyway you'll know more after the balancing process.

My initial test was a little sloppy and not a very fair determination. I did not top balance initially, but that is in progress right now. For the initial charge, I just charged until the lead cell pair hit 3.45, charging voltage, not resting. At this point all cells were between 3.43 and 3.45, and the "lazy" cell pair was at 3.44.

In the interest of a more fair and accurate test, I will bring each cell up to 3.6V resting voltage and then run the discharge test again. If the pack then delivers 300 AH before the first cell pair hits stopping voltage, I got 100% of what I paid for and I will be a happy camper.

@astronom Looks like you have the same cells? Did yours all test at 100% or better?

I have 8 x 280 AH Aluminum cased grade A cells delivered to Canada to my door for 1200 USD. 2 weeks from order to delivery expected.

Back