diy solar

diy solar

Battleborn vs. Lifeblue

energy0605

Hello all. I am at the point where I will be purchasing some lithium batteries for a solar install on my Hi-Lo trailer. My private solar installer temp. based in Arizona
recommended Lifeblue for its Bluetooth capabilities and its benefits in below freezing conditions. I came across this "alleged" response from the CEO of Battle Born on 8/27/2018 from a forum online:
"In any case we decided early on to not put Bluetooth internally because 1) you can monitor cycles SOC, V, current, etc. externally using Victron equipment among others, 2) we were concerned that the battery would last longer than the Bluetooth version since that changes rapidly, and 3) we did not want to include something internally that could break over time when we find it not completely necessary." The CEO went on to say:
"But the main issue with the Lifeblue battery is their choice of prismatic cells-- which are cheaper, but did not last as long in our cycle tests. The reason they don't last as long is that, since they are more massive than the smaller cylindrical cells, they cannot dissipate heat as well. They are also harder to capacity match, because capacity variations are much larger. By contrast, smaller cells may be matched individually, and then matched again as modules. That is what we do. And finally, cylindrical cells are encased in stainless steel and are much less susceptible to moisture contamination, which can also cause capacity degradation." My question is what do you think of these statements and which lithium battery would you recommend?

Last edited:
I think Battle Born has a fine product. But in order to get an equivalent system (100 AH battery, heater, SOC monitor) the cost is $1300+, not including installation. The LifeBlue cost me $1088 all in. My opinion is his statements are mostly marketing speak. At any rate, in the long run, we'll see. BTW, my 100 AH battery came in at 108 AH.

And prismatics are fine, and it really depends on what kind of prismatic cell, but cylindrical cells do dissipate heat better. But! Do you need to dissipate heat? For solar application, not really. Unless you wish to push these batteries to the limit. I think either one is a good choice. I would go by warranty and terminal preference if I were to choose between lifeblue and BB.

Oh wow now that sounds intriguing. ? Cant imagine what is coming. I can delay my solar install but I dont really want to wait forever. Dont want the price of lithium to go up or the grid to go down. lol.

I have had 2 Lifeblue 200ah batteries for about a year now. They have worked flawless. I am sitting in Arizona now east of Quartzsite, we run off our solar often but not every day as we are in a park that has electric available. We often use the solar to provide until we need the AC, but on days when we dont need it I am more than happy. As long as the sun is out and I keep the panels angled it recovers all we use during the day which includes coffee pot, microwave, hair dryer and a heated mattress pad during the cool nights. I am not at all disappointed but with some of the batteries coming on the market the prices will be much more attractive. I paid $1895 each delivered (200ah) x 2

Very good to hear! The future will blow us all away with new technology. Cant wait to see what it brings.

And prismatics are fine, and it really depends on what kind of prismatic cell, but cylindrical cells do dissipate heat better. But! Do you need to dissipate heat? For solar application, not really. Unless you wish to push these batteries to the limit. I think either one is a good choice. I would go by warranty and terminal preference if I were to choose between lifeblue and BB.
I wonder why when you make groups of batteries you have them actually touching each other. I leave a small air gap. It does requires slightly larger buss bars though.

Would love to see a review and tear down of the LifeBlue 100Ah battery!

Oh wow now that sounds intriguing. ? Cant imagine what is coming. I can delay my solar install but I dont really want to wait forever. Dont want the price of lithium to go up or the grid to go down. lol.

If it's Graphene, which is my guess, LFP batteries will drop significantly.

I think Battle Born has a fine product. But in order to get an equivalent system (100 AH battery, heater, SOC monitor) the cost is $1300+, not including installation. The LifeBlue cost me $1088 all in. My opinion is his statements are mostly marketing speak. At any rate, in the long run, we'll see. BTW, my 100 AH battery came in at 108 AH.

I dunno, I partially agree with you, but I think they make a good point about BT. There product is supposed to be a drop-in battery that just works and lasts 10 years. I can understand not wanting to add complexity and potential points of failure that may need to be serviced/replaced/warrantied 5-10 years down the road. I want BT with my BMS, but I imagine most people buying a drop-in lead acid replacement could care less about a 'smart battery.' There is an argument to be made that smart features and wireless are way outside the scope of what a drop-in replacement is intended to be.

If I were in there shoes I probably wouldn't include BT either, unless there was overwhelming demand for it. Us DIYers and tinkerers are a small segment of the market. I would probably offer an optional external monitor similar to the victron BMV that interfaced well with the built in BMS for customers who wanted it.

Hi;
Which prismatics cel do you recommend for a 200ah 24v battery bank?

Hi;
Which prismatics cel do you recommend for a 200ah 24v battery bank?

Lots of info in the DIY lifepo4 battery section. This is the 'Beginner Friendly, Plug and Play" section which is geared towards drop in replacements like the Battleborn.

Will recommends CALB and Fortune cells on his website, as well as blue aluminum cells sold through BLS. If you want the best bargain the blue Aluminum cells sold through Xuba and Xaomi are popular with a lot of people here (same cells different sellers). Spend some time browsing through the DIY lifepo4 section I linked to above.

Back