diy solar

diy solar

Beginning installation of Schneider XW Pro/EG4ll batteries V1/MPPT 100A 600V OFF-GRID only questions

Yes, Would recommend putting Neutral on the intended lug. Keeps things looking like a conventional system. The Green screw is the N-G bond. You will need to decide if you want that in the breaker panel or in the Inverter. I believe the Schneider has a dynamic N-G bond via a relay that closes when power is lost on AC1, which is always true in your off-grid situation.

Revisiting an earlier comment regarding L1 & L2. 400bird is correct in that it doesn't matter if the legs get reversed somewhere in the system but down the road its much easier to trace back problems if black and red are consistently used as L1 & l2 respectively.
This is the main panel, so since it is NOT connected to the grid, should I take the screw out because of what you said about the Schneider having the N-G bond via a relay?

So do I need to do something or did I do it correctly?
Green screw in panel (check it's screwed down and not halfway in for shipping)

Transfer switch unbonded

Schneider unbonded

Generator unbonded

That's how I would do it. I think that's how you have it.

Ground rod goes to ground bar in main panel, all other devices get their ground from there.

This is the main panel, so since it is NOT connected to the grid, should I take the screw out because of what you said about the Schneider having the N-G bond via a relay?
I'm out of State so can't do any testing till this weekend. However, go ahead and do what hwy17 outlined above. Everything will work fine.

What I do know is the Inverter has 5 relays on the PCB just above the AC1, Load & AC2 connection terminals. I was under the impression the 4 large relays are the transfer switches for AC1 & AC2 and the single, smaller relay was for the dynamic Neutral-Ground bond but I COULD BE WRONG. Will verify in a couple of days. Darn the bad memory.

It'll be under "AC System Bonding" in the manual,

This is the quote from my XW+ manual:

The Conext XW+ does not connect the neutral to ground. The AC input neutral isalready bonded to ground by the incoming utility grid system. Do not connect theneutral to ground in any additional location.The Conext XW+ does not switch or disconnect the AC neutral in any mode ofoperation, so even in invert (back-up) mode, the inverter load sub-panel neutralis bonded to ground by the utility grid system. It must not be grounded again inthe inverter load sub-panel.

Green screw in panel (check it's screwed down and not halfway in for shipping)

Transfer switch unbonded

Schneider unbonded

Generator unbonded

That's how I would do it. I think that's how you have it.

Ground rod goes to ground bar in main panel, all other devices get their ground from there.
Yes, all the other grounds are connected from the main panel. Main panel ground goes to the ground in the transfer switch. All the ground wires in the transfer switch go to that grounding bar, but no green screw there.
I'm out of State so can't do any testing till this weekend. However, go ahead and do what hwy17 outlined above. Everything will work fine.

What I do know is the Inverter has 5 relays on the PCB just above the AC1, Load & AC2 connection terminals. I was under the impression the 4 large relays are the transfer switches for AC1 & AC2 and the single, smaller relay was for the dynamic Neutral-Ground bond but I COULD BE WRONG. Will verify in a couple of days. Darn the bad memory.
Not ready to turn on anyway, so will wait. Still have to hook batteries up and still trying to figure out this cut-off switch thing. I want a cut-off switch mounted right at the rack for the 6 EG4 V1 batteries in parallel which would then go to the busbars and then go to the inverter. That way, If I need to disconnect and move batteries out of the way, I can that without much trouble. I came into possession of a ton of Schneider things, one of which is this FUPACT. It has 3 250A breakers in it. I can't find much information on it, but if you pull the front, it seems as though it disconnects. I also have this 200A supposed DC rated breaker that I was going to use, but not sure which way to go.

Attachments

• D12DB3FA-A066-4175-83ED-6A048E66983B.jpeg
    D12DB3FA-A066-4175-83ED-6A048E66983B.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 1
  • A76107CC-E171-4409-84AB-7F069BAC84CA_1_201_a.jpeg
    A76107CC-E171-4409-84AB-7F069BAC84CA_1_201_a.jpeg
    346.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 4AEAC436-8D9F-4AFE-A4B9-75ABAEA29AD0.jpeg
    4AEAC436-8D9F-4AFE-A4B9-75ABAEA29AD0.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 5BB3DE6B-6D40-424F-B2D9-4E2DC783A471.jpeg
    5BB3DE6B-6D40-424F-B2D9-4E2DC783A471.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 810AD22E-8A80-43F7-AC05-3020A7E1D59B.jpeg
    810AD22E-8A80-43F7-AC05-3020A7E1D59B.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1

I really appreciate you helping, I am such a novice. I saw David Poz say not to connect any neutral to the middle or generator connections, but he did connect at the

Will go check it out. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Happy to help. I'm just getting caught up with the thread. The part I'm confused about, and maybe you've got sorted out already, is the use of a PDP an a transfer switch. If the generator goes into the transfer switch that doesn't provide generator input to the XW.

Also I'm not sure about the purpose and location of the RV port but I don't think you're getting to that part of the install yet.

Happy to help. I'm just getting caught up with the thread. The part I'm confused about, and maybe you've got sorted out already, is the use of a PDP an a transfer switch. If the generator goes into the transfer switch that doesn't provide generator input to the XW.

Also I'm not sure about the purpose and location of the RV port but I don't think you're getting to that part of the install yet.
I am not leaving a dedicated generator outside for this to stay hooked to. Also, we were solely generator powered for a year, so we had a transfer switch wired because we wanted to eventually use a Growatt 12kw (which needed more things installed than the Schneider). Then, we switched gears and purchased a Schneider. Transfer switch is there already, so, if we needed to stay on Generator only (during hurricanes) we could just switch it over and disconnect the Schneider altogether (also lots of lightning and although I have surge protection, it can only take one lightning strike before it is toast) so during storms like that, I would rather lose a generator than the whole Schneider system.
Someone mentioned I could add another RV plug for the generator and then wire that into the Schneider like it should be so we could use the inverter to charge the batteries if there was little to no solar. Just move the plug from the one that is connected to the transfer switch to the other RV plug that is connected to the Schneider. I know it is ridiculous to do it this way, but not everyone who uses this system will understand it so simple switching keeps problems from happening.
I read the manual, and so I have a few questions:
In my photo, (first photo)I have the green wire from the transfer switch coming in and attached to the ground busbar. I see the grounding lug to the right with nothing attached to that. Since all I have connected is the LOAD OUT, what do I need to do to make sure I am only bonded once like you said? Do I need to anything with the white or green wires? I know this is so basic and not having a proper understanding concerns me to no end!
The second photo shows a green arrow pointing to a ground screw on the actual inverter (not mini pdp).

Attachments

• F75C2807-2D8C-426F-B536-D949388D77BB_1_201_a.jpeg
    F75C2807-2D8C-426F-B536-D949388D77BB_1_201_a.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 7E461776-671D-4754-A240-75A60C003023_1_201_a.jpeg
    7E461776-671D-4754-A240-75A60C003023_1_201_a.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
In my photo, I have the green wire from the transfer switch coming in and attached to the ground busbar. I see the grounding lug to the right with nothing attached to that. Since all I have connected is the LOAD OUT, what do I need to do to make sure I am only bonded once like you said? Do I need to anything with the white or green wires? I know this is so basic and not having a proper understanding concerns me to no end!
No problem I'll answer basic questions all day, if I am around.

I do not seen any bonds in this picture so it looks good to me. You have a ground bar on the chassis and isolated neutral bar so all ok. The other ground lug, idk what it's intended for, but it is functionally bonded to your ground bar so it's just an unused lug and fine that way in my opinion.

Last edited:
I can't see from the picture how those PDP jumpers work, but I trust that somehow those red and black do connect up through the one most left hand 60A breaker. It's ok if red and black get turned into black and red.

I can't see from the picture how those PDP jumpers work, but I trust that somehow those red and black do connect up through the one most left hand 60A breaker. It's ok if red and black get turned into black and red.
White neutral connects to N on Load out and then it goes on down to the Neutral bar right above the ground bar. Black (line 1) and Red (line 2) are hooked to the breaker (comes that way from Schneider. ) So black from the transfer switch goes to the bottom of the breaker and red from the transfer switch goes to the other side of the bottom of the breaker. Green from transfer switch which is bonded in the panel goes to the ground busbar.

Attachments

• 479016DF-A36E-43B1-8069-8DF2B8FE6E2E.jpeg
    479016DF-A36E-43B1-8069-8DF2B8FE6E2E.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 4
  • D7FDACAB-7B35-40F5-9DC0-C8E90E8C6533.jpeg
    D7FDACAB-7B35-40F5-9DC0-C8E90E8C6533.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 32B73CA8-EBE6-4C56-8206-466732550941.jpeg
    32B73CA8-EBE6-4C56-8206-466732550941.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 63CEC7B7-B64F-4BF1-9743-868DF731C49F.jpeg
    63CEC7B7-B64F-4BF1-9743-868DF731C49F.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 6
  • F3189FD3-B660-4EB0-A5F2-C5971DED7BA5.jpeg
    F3189FD3-B660-4EB0-A5F2-C5971DED7BA5.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
White neutral connects to N on Load out and then it goes on down to the Neutral bar right above the ground bar. Black (line 1) and Red (line 2) are hooked to the breaker (comes that way from Schneider. So black from the transfer switch goes to the bottom of the breaker and red from the transfer switch goes to the other side of the bottom of the breaker. Green from transfer switch which is bonded in the panel goes to the ground busbar.
Great and somehow the XW chassis is grounded to the PDP ground right? I mean the two chassis are bolted together I just don't quite understand the ground lug at the top back of the PDP.

Great and somehow the XW chassis is grounded to the PDP ground right? I mean the two chassis are bolted together I just don't quite understand the ground lug at the top back of the PDP.
Me neither. I wonder if the Inverter is bonded to the mini pdp there.

just found this thread, nice work

I use an external transfer switch to allow for total disabling of the inverter system.
I don't really use the bypass breakers in the PDP

in my build thread, the following link is where I decided to go XW Pro
if it is of any use

I don't know if it will help you but below is my one line schematic

Thompson-AC-Phase-240v.jpg

Ok. I went to Ben's solar channel because he is the only one who has a video on the MINI pdp setup.
I took a few closer pictures for you to see, @hwy17, so the ground is on the busbar from the factory and it goes to the grounding lug labeled Chassis up in the top of the mini pdp. Ben says all neutrals go to the white busbar and the grounds go to the ground busbar.
THE THIRD PHOTO IS A SCREEN SHOT FROM BEN'S VIDEO SHOWING HE CONNECTED THE GROUND WIRE FROM THE BUSBAR AT THE BOTTOM OF THE MINI PDP (PRE-INSTALLED AT FACTORY) TO THE CHASSIS GROUND LUG (which matches my 2nd photo)

Attachments

• 0108625F-D598-4BC8-BC69-7C415E082F9C.jpeg
    0108625F-D598-4BC8-BC69-7C415E082F9C.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DA40F1AD-AAC8-4310-9D2E-0F19904CC78B.jpeg
    DA40F1AD-AAC8-4310-9D2E-0F19904CC78B.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 535FFB83-0335-4B50-BB41-096834206E43.jpeg
    535FFB83-0335-4B50-BB41-096834206E43.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 5
Ok. I went to Ben's solar channel because he is the only one who has a video on the MINI pdp setup.
I took a few closer pictures for you to see, @hwy17, so the ground is on the busbar from the factory and it goes to the grounding lug labeled Chassis up in the top of the mini pdp. Ben says all neutrals go to the white busbar and the grounds go to the ground busbar.
THE THIRD PHOTO IS A SCREEN SHOT FROM BEN'S VIDEO SHOWING HE CONNECTED THE GROUND WIRE FROM THE BUSBAR AT THE BOTTOM OF THE MINI PDP (PRE-INSTALLED AT FACTORY) TO THE CHASSIS GROUND LUG (which matches my 2nd photo)
Oh there you go then. I just went and looked at my XW+ and realized I have the top lug too, it's actually a lug that is attached to the XW.

In that case, you could rearrange yours like Ben's, but tbh I kind of like your setup more, so that the transfer switch and the XW are on the same bus bar. I do not think it matters much though, the ground bar and the ground lug in the PDP are legitimately connected by it's chassis, so your preference.

Back