diy solar

diy solar

Bolt-shaped connections on the battery too short

boatelectronicsdiy

Hello,

I just purchased two 100Ah LiFePO4 batteries from Flypower to replace two old AGM batteries on my sailboat.

My plan was simple - to swap out the batteries: unplug the existing cabled from old batteries and reattach them to the new batteries.

As you can see in pictures, battery connections on new batteries are short and bolt-shaped (not round like on the old batteries). Standard battery terminals on cables are have a round eyelet and require a longer connection on the battery to establish a proper contact.

Bolts seen in pictures can be unscrrewed and removed. They are M8 bolts.

I figured out that I can get battery posts to install. Where can I find high-quality ones (stainless steel)?

Attachments

• IMG_1966.jpg
    IMG_1966.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1967.jpg
    IMG_1967.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1969.jpg
    IMG_1969.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum.

Just do a search for M8 Stainless Steel Grub screws. You can get them in many different lengths.

Note: When you get them.... make sure *Not* to get the pointed ones. You want flat or cupped ends.

You want this?

s-l500.jpg

eBay

OP, how many cables are you trying to connect to the battery terminal? Those terminal bolts may be just fine, you need to run a single cable from it to a common bus bar where all the other cables can connect to.

Thanks everyone for helpful replies. I've ordered M8 and they are too big. I ordered M6 and they are too small. I guess I need M7 screws.

For some reason, I expected this to be standardized to M8 but it is not.

Since I am not finding M7s anywhere, it is probably not metric. I measured it just now and the screw is 1/4" wide. I need to have battery posts for my installation. My entire project is held up because I cannot find battery posts in this size...

If I was in that situation, I would take a cell to my local Ace Hardware and find the right size bolt/stud in their hardware department. If they don't have it, you're outta luck!

M6 and M7 have the same 1mm pitch thread so check if the M6 threads mesh properly.
M7 definitely exist. My local Ace Hardware has some.

search here

Thanks everyone for helpful replies. I've ordered M8 and they are too big. I ordered M6 and they are too small. I guess I need M7 screws.

For some reason, I expected this to be standardized to M8 but it is not.

It might be easiest to ask Fly-Power at this point. I gather that this info is not in the battery data sheet.

Since I am not finding M7s anywhere, it is probably not metric. I measured it just now and the screw is 1/4" wide. I need to have battery posts for my installation. My entire project is held up because I cannot find battery posts in this size...

If you're looking for metric fasteners on Amazon, it's not the best place. M7 screws are not hard to find elsewhere. McMaster-Carr, for one, sells them on this page. But I think that you should ask Fly-Power before you go ordering more stuff.

Screenshot 2021-04-13 at 11.02.09 PM.jpg

Last edited:
If you have an ordinary 1/4"-20 lying around, try screwing it into the terminal.

I found this Fly Power on amazon. Is this what you have?

1618380537701.png
Notice that it says M8 for the terminals. M8 comes in both 1mm and 1.5mm pitch. I am guessing the M8 studs you purchased are the wrong pitch.

I would take one of the bolts to a hardware store and check it with their thread sizing tools. (Or better yet, go buy one)
I have one similar to this and find I use it all the time.

Hello,

I just purchased two 100Ah LiFePO4 batteries from Flypower to replace two old AGM batteries on my sailboat.

My plan was simple - to swap out the batteries: unplug the existing cabled from old batteries and reattach them to the new batteries.

As you can see in pictures, battery connections on new batteries are short and bolt-shaped (not round like on the old batteries). Standard battery terminals on cables are have a round eyelet and require a longer connection on the battery to establish a proper contact.

Bolts seen in pictures can be unscrrewed and removed. They are M8 bolts.

I figured out that I can get battery posts to install. Where can I find high-quality ones (stainless steel)?
Did you ever find studs?

Back