diy solar

diy solar

Building the sickest ® VAWT ever. Brilliant minds unite please!!

All the way around the windings, yes, would short out field.
But through the windings, would channel the field where it is desired and couple more effectively.

In the following picture of a radial configuration, gap between pole pieces so core forms a horseshoe, not a complete circle, is what's needed. (OP's configuration is axial, so a 90 degree rotation of coil orientation vs. this picture.)

View attachment 102745
Thank you but I am not sure yet I can think of a way to translate this to my current plan.

I have got planned 96 flux poles (96 magnets in a repelling orientation) and 96 coils per phase per disk.

Now because I am going for 3 phase I see little space to separate coils as to allow for powder to come in between.

Do I get my thoughts over or perhaps it's better if I spend some time actually making a drawing of where I see the issue?

All the way around the windings, yes, would short out field
can one think of any visual way of presenting this 'shorting out of field' s s thing?

I am just so worried that I just am not fully grasping things yet and holding on to badly taken data leading me on a delusional path.

That was my reaction to this as well.
But not exactly sure what you are actually doing there, so did not comment.

The magnetic field needs to cut the windings at right angles, not be given an easier path to bypass the windings altogether.
Filling in the air gap around the windings with iron (powder) will hugely increase the magnetic field strength by eliminating the air gap in the magnetic path, but it will also destroy the windings ability to work as its supposed to work.

Put it this way. A lot of very smart people have been messing with motors and generators for at least a couple of hundred years. They are pretty well understood, and its highly unlikely you have discovered anything really new. More likely your iron powder has changed things somehow and your measurement method may not be telling you the whole story.
I hope to give some more insight like so
1658139094186.png
The magnet dis is fully filled with non electro conductive iron powder. So eddy currents I am not too worried about.

If this prototyping is going somewhere I will start making disks out of iron filled PLA before I cast them in 95% iron filled resin.

But the moreal of the story should stay focussed wehter this leads anywhere or not?

Now you can see how we can't really speak of a short curcuit (as far as I understood it) But just one less airgap to enhance the fields we get to play with.

I am willing t go the extra mile and make several setups. Just tell me how to do it and I'll measure it. I think I am on to something

I am willing to send 96 magnets over to someone with good 3d printing experience.
Also my stl files so one can figure out their own best way of printing them.

One thing needs to be upheld to it's fullest.

Never bend the data to fafor me. No just bring it is the data comes in.

I have an even better idea.
I'll just get me another 96 of those magnets and arrange them in a traditional way.

Now we have something to compare against each other.

I can send the whole lot including the test coil over to someone willing and able to form their own test data.

And then, also on my costs, send it over to a 3rd, and maybe 4rth that also would like to form their own test data.

In the end the whole lot gets send back to me on my costs and then we will see what we end up with yes?

How is that for a peer review?

ugg. I have never thought about how customs would feel about having high powered magnets in boxes just floating thru.

Sure we can buy some on those friends from the east but not hte big powered ones I am talking about right now. at least I don't know how to yet.

If someone does know please tell me as then we can level up this while endevaour in where we go for High temp resistant magnets

Now because I am going for 3 phase I see little space to separate coils as to allow for powder to come in between.

No powder or other core should be between coils. It goes through center of coils, so magnetic field is concentrated through middle of loop.

can one think of any visual way of presenting this 'shorting out of field' s s thing?

Observe the slots in attached picture. If slots weren't present, e.g. if you welded them up, they would short out field. That is, they form a complete loop through middle of each coil and around the outside. That would work fine for a transformer (except for eddy currents if electrically conductive) with two coils having one magnetic core loop around them. But an external field (from moving magnet) would be picked up by the core and conducted tangentially to the coil, little through it. With a gap, magnetic field lines hit the core and find easiest path through middle of coil.

Keeper (mostly) shorts magnetic circuit, significantly reducing field strength in air:

I propose @Porch or @Hedges to start out.

Testing? All I've got that's relevant is meters to measure volts, amps. Don't even have a Tesla meter at home.
Mostly your project is about mechanical mounting and rotation to stimulate it. If you ever do achieve the higher power you're shooting for, at low RPM that is high mechanical force trying to deflect parts.

Repulsion could find a stable midpoint. Attraction would have positive feedback, grab whatever it could. But one magnet disk with pole pieces on either side would see attraction; only multiple magnets see repulsion. Coils with no pole piece experience no force when stationary; I haven't figured out direction of force (except rotational) in operation.

ugg. I have never thought about how customs would feel about having high powered magnets in boxes just floating thru.

Maybe not customs, but airline.
I've read powerful magnets are shipped unmagnetized, then are magnetized at destination.
Of course small magnets we get for tinkering are already magnetized.
And a "keeper" shorting poles of magnet would reduce external fields. Enclosing in a Mu-metal box would further reduce.

No powder or other core should be between coils. It goes through center of coils, so magnetic field is concentrated through middle of loop.
Ok sure that is one way of going about it. It's the best way of doing it traditional I know of yet.

But we are now thinking outside the box.

I'll repeat again as to avoid people thinking I have grandeur issues.

We might well be wasting time here. I'll admit. But let's do try and narrow it down some more.

I am putting my money where my mouth is with the only goal is to finally have something open source that people believe in

EDIT huge scientific EDIT.
The only goal is to get some consusensus. wether I get to brag or not is no longer really the point. Lets get to the bottom of this

I realized that I still have not convinced everyone that this VAWT is indeed going to be Sick (R).

Not sure if everyone following this journey knows that the trigger to want to become self sufficient is fear for a post apocalyptic world.

So then local codes do not make any sense as then they wont be enforced and one can plant any size turbine that can practically fit.

So I am going to see if I can get a 4mdiam by 5m height turbine to work. a 20m2 swept area.

1658769163298.png
Even if I have it spinning for a few days before the municipality come tear it down I don't care. As long as I have data that shows it can work.
Since I am not making use of helical blades all I have to then do is apply for a permit to place a 2m diam x 3m one and wait.. end then simply make things smaller to fit local code. and maybe place 2 or 3 of them.

But then at least this thread can be closed, I can stop rambling and the world will be richer it's first open source VAWT that actually does make sense as it can be scaled to what ever one wants with it!!

But then at least this thread can be closed, I can stop rambling and the world will be richer it's first open source VAWT that actually does make sense as it can be scaled to what ever one wants with it!!
I'll be here, cheering you on and eagerly waiting to here news of your success!

I'll be here, cheering you on and eagerly waiting to here news of your success!
yes bother, I will be plowing through.

I have been missing in action because I am now in Indonesia getting accustomed with how it feels to have white beach sand between ones buttocks.

Hmm, how to describe it..?? It uplifting in once sense but also servery debilitates ones ability to walk normally.

Once I am back it is printing time again.

But I can report that I will be trying to use glassfiber and resin over a 3d printed skeleton a try.
That just feels like the best of both worlds.

* ease of form using 3d printing.
* strength of time proven glass fiber

All at a fraction of the print time. I'll share details once I have an actual print.
Now I need to get my buttocks naked because there is white sand to be had ;)

Testing? All I've got that's relevant is meters to measure volts, amps. Don't even have a Tesla meter at home.
Well brother, you would not need a Tesla meter to independently assess if my premise holds any merit or not.

If we find some way to ship the disks to you without red flags beeping all over the place and grinding the whole shipping to a halt then all you'd need is the most reliable volt meter you have or can get your hands on.

Basically it would mean to construct a test rig like I have shown earlier. Place the traditional magnet laid out disk and start spinning it at 60 rpm.
Record the millivolts produced by the test coil I also will be supplying.

Then once satisfied you have a good value replace the traditional disk with the repelling disk.
And measure again.

If your measurements are not at all what I hope they will be then at least I can be happy that a peer (one far superior to me sure) has put this train of thought to and end.

Or it could be that we are on to something fringe, like I am thinking we are.

Anyway. This 'potential discovery' needs scrutiny. We owe it to the world to at least try and see if this holds any merit.

If it turns out to be bullocks then sure I can live with the ridicule that comes with it.
Rest assured I have a thick skin and I'd rather publicly fail than to never knowing something great has been found yet never got noticed.

But here I go again putting my money where my mouth is.
I am all ok to also ship a cheap ass Telsa meter to go along with it.

All I care about is an honest peer review. And if things do turn out to be great then perhaps an accolade would be nice.

Other than that I don't want patents or any kind of commercial interests.

It's like I said before.
Saving humanity is a team effort

Measuring Voc won't tell enough.
You need to measure voltage and current, while both are a good non-zero value.
Just drive a resistive load, and adjust resistance value to find maximum power.
(best operating point may not be maximum power, because that may have equally high power dissipated in winding resistance.)

Measuring Voc won't tell enough.
You need to measure voltage and current, while both are a good non-zero value.
Just drive a resistive load, and adjust resistance value to find maximum power.
(best operating point may not be maximum power, because that may have equally high power dissipated in winding resistance.)
well then, can you do that on both my disks? I am really really looking forward to being peer corrected (proved wrong / set straight).
Otherwise I keep on thinking I am on to something while it might be bullocks.

Yet on the off chance I actually am on to something then at least I am not the only one stating that any longer. And then it will be a matter of time before the snowball effect comes into play.

Nah, too much on my plate. You haven't seen my garage with unfinished projects piled floor to ceiling.
But I can comment on your test setups and results.

Back