diy solar

diy solar

CATL 271Ah cell issues.

I bought cells through Michael. It wasn't a perfect transaction and I would have hesitated to use him again. I did have enough contact with him to realize he means well and is not a thief or a fraud. His sincere intention was to service the diy battery community and bring about transactions where everyone was happy. All that being said, he has made a lot of mistakes in 2021 and he has no one except himself to blame for where he finds himself at this point. Anyone ordering more cells through Michael at this point should get his/her head examined.

I really feel for all those affected by this terrible situation. I don't blame anyone for asking for a refund if they never got their cells or received "not as advertised cells" - that's what buyer protection is for and why we pay those fees. The fact is this makes Mike's life harder and more stressful and he might not have thought his last few comments out very well because they aren't very fair to the people who bought through him. I hope all those that didn't have or had expired buyer protection get made whole or mostly whole.
I agree, and I have always believed, and still do, that Michael had absolutely no intention of ripping people off.

Edit: I also believe that it's possible to have a successful resolution to this problem, I even think that Michael could continue to do business if he were to take some additional precautions in the future.

what is everyone doing with these beat to sh*t cells? Presumably you guys arent going to use them. How are you guys getting rid of them?

Reactions: AER
I did not willingly ignore anyone. Life happens and sometimes it is a shitstorm. You weather it the best you can and move forward.
The fact they got there money back should tell you something.

Really? I am STILL WAITING FOR ANY RESPONSE FROM YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Michael B Caro , this ignoring me is getting really old. I think I have been plenty patient. The only thing I ask is for information. How hard is it to pass some of that along? Even if it is to tell me you have no idea when my batteries will come in and, hopefully, an explanation as to why.

what is everyone doing with these beat to sh*t cells? Presumably you guys arent going to use them. How are you guys getting rid of them?
I'm looking into disposal. I just checked with a local battery shop in NE FL. The Will not touch them and they only knew of a facility in GA that took them for a fee.

I'm looking into disposal. I just checked with a local battery shop in NE FL. The Will not touch them and they only knew of a facility in GA that took them for a fee.
They should be saleable. There are some companies that recycle lithium EV batteries, and they buy them.

If you want a reply from this scammer all you have to do is start a PayPal dispute. Then he'll eventually respond and say that you have to send them back to him if you want your money back. He won't respond to anything else now that he has your money

I'm into bad/damaged cells if you're looking for a way to get rid of them for free. Shipping is the difficult part, but with patience I'm sure we can work something out. For instance I'm traveling from Michigan to Georgia for Thanksgiving, and may be able to go a few hours further to meet you halfway.

The cells will be used until they are no longer usable, as long as they're lifepo4.

If you want a reply from this scammer all you have to do is start a PayPal dispute. Then he'll eventually respond and say that you have to send them back to him if you want your money back. He won't respond to anything else now that he has your money
Someone else posted that the “ship them back” thing is automated from PayPal, btw

Just as a reminder everyone - this is a group buy, and Michael never represented himself as anything other than a middleman. This isn't a 5 star company that will hold your hand and pay out of its own pocket to make sure you are happy - it's a guy who felt comfortable putting himself in a position to deal with the battery market in china, representing us as group buyers.

Our beef isn't with Michael, it's with the supplier. He's doing what he can in his position, but if you thought this was like buying from Amazon and expect the same level of service, I'm sorry but you're wrong. You may be angry, and you may feel entitled to 5 star service now that you've received bad product, but you never paid for five star service in the first place.

I think he should be more communicative, specifically endeavor to communicate with each individual impacted with the status, as he understands it, of their situation, and where he stands with the supplier on a resolution.

The limited information he's presenting, though, should still be accepted at face value as his best effort. He's explaining that this was a group buy, and the CATL group is effectively taking from the Lishen group when they file a dispute before getting a resolution from the supplier.

It's slow, and a very frustrating process, but you're vastly better off than you would be had you gone directly to the supplier yourself.

Let your representative do what he can to make the situation right. Hopefully he improves his communication methods - he'd certainly be better off having all these conversations in private emails versus leaving people hanging with unknowns and venting their frustration here.

Or not, I guess, but really? First world problems much? You took a risk, you paid significantly less than you would have versus buying local, and now it's blown up. You don't need to walk away, but is it really too much to wait for the supplier to sort through the situation?

Our beef isn't with Michael, it's with the supplier. He's doing what he can in his position, but if you thought this was like buying from Amazon and expect the same level of service, I'm sorry but you're wrong. You may be angry, and you may feel entitled to 5 star service now that you've received bad product, but you never paid for five star service in the first place.

The limited information he's presenting, though, should still be accepted at face value as his best effort. He's explaining that this was a group buy, and the CATL group is effectively taking from the Lishen group when they file a dispute before getting a resolution from the supplier.

It's slow, and a very frustrating process, but you're vastly better off than you would be had you gone directly to the supplier yourself.

I do have a beef with Michael, he went to a new supplier and placed a large order without doing enough due diligence. He said they were new cells, tested & choice of studs. I got used cells with the wrong stud size. 8 of 32 were in that condition and the rest either didn't arrive (8) or were damaged beyond safe use.

I didn't go with Michael to save a few bucks. I went with him because he used good suppliers. Sorry but Michael got taken and he will have to shoulder some of the loss.

Just because its called a group buy that doesn't mean Micheal is absolved of any liability. If he wants to run his business as a group buy club (and benefit from some people thinking he is just doing us all a favor) then I would suggest he needs a waiver of liability (for his own protection). BTW if he did present me with a waiver I would have gone elsewhere.

It seems like the first guy to receive damaged cells is still without resolution 60 DAYS later (that's <1 star service. Right?). Michael may be doing all he can but it is a far cry from what he should be doing.

Last edited:
I do have a beef with Michael, he went to a new supplier and placed a large order without doing enough due diligence. He said they were new cells, tested & choice of studs. I got used cells with the wrong stud size. 8 of 32 were in that condition and the rest either didn't arrive (8) or were damaged beyond safe use.

I didn't go with Michael to save a few bucks. I went with him because he used good suppliers. Sorry but Michael got taken and he will have to shoulder some of the loss.

Just because its called a group buy that doesn't mean Micheal is absolved of any liability. If he wants to run his business as a group buy club (and benefit from some people thinking he is just doing us all a favor) then I would suggest he needs a waiver of liability (for his own protection). BTW if he did present me with a waiver I would have gone elsewhere.

It seems like the first guy to receive damaged cells is still without resolution 60 DAYS later (that's <1 star service. Right?). Michael may be doing all he can but it is a far cry from what he should be doing.
Sorry but this to me says I need someone to blame and Michael is the easiest. What is with the entitlement and need for instant results from people now in days. I'm sorry but yes Michael is the middle man. And yes he used a new supplier. No one ever said Michael's hookups was the best. We are dealing with Chinese and there not the most honest.
The world we are in today is one that takes a sentence and twists and manipulates it way beyond its original meaning to get the results we want. Not exactly a moral value at all.
Not everyone can be handled at the same time. And this dude stepped up and offered the group buy so everyone can get a great price.
Sorry but if your statement was true the you didn't go with him to save money you went with him to find a good supplier then you would have chose from one of the 2 well known suppliers yourself on alibuba or the other sites.
I'm not say Mike worded himself correct. Especially in a world that will twist every word at the 1st available option to get what they want out of the situation.
I hate responding this way. This site has been great to me. But seeing people jump on the bashing ship the 1st time there's a hiccup after many many reliable transactions is crazy.
Hes sorting it out. And I wouldn't respond to a bunch of messages of people bashing and being crude after many many successful transactions either, not until I had a answer to give people.
1. You all know the risk of dealing with overseas transactions.
2. Him buying in bulk(group buy) isn't any different than you making the purchase yourself. Except hes dealing with them vs. You.
3. It's likely his own personal money your taping into when you reverse charges. As he used your money to buy the cells you requested in the group buy. So yes your likely taking his personal money.
So here's how a group buy works.
He takes a list of what's needed and gets a quote for each person.
Then he collects the money from each individual in the group buy.
Next he places the order. And pays the bill. Each personal order is shipped directly to the person and never touches the lead of the group buys hands. ( kind of a hail marry).

Now let's bring covid into place. It's world wide and slowing things down. Yet we still made the choice to order our cells and order them from the 1st effected country. Its not like ordering through Mike will bypass that.
Now we have over 200 ships waiting to port in America. Slowing things down more.
My accountability says I knew these factors and if I didn't then I'm not as smart as I think I am.

Now if he's just some Joe shmo trying to be nice and gather a group so everyone gets a great price and maybe only makes a couple hundred off the sale. Then you jump ship and start attacking his bank account, that's you taking his money. HES NOT THE SUPPLIER!!! They recieved your money that you funneled through him.
Now if Joe shmo only makes 20k a year he's likely living pay check to paycheck or close. A guy with a 100k job may have a few grand saved.
When you do a reversal your taking his money if the supplier hasn't recieved the damaged product and issued a refund to the lead of the group buy.
Your taking from his kids/family.
So please see the situation for what it is. Not turn it into what enables you to be angry and bash and get a mob fired up for a situation that is temporarily out of his control. Use some morals and have some understanding.
There has been a few including myself that has had issues and Michael went way out of his way to resolve them. If it was a scam he could have ran. Especially in my case. I gave him cash.
But he was honest and got it fixed. I did have to wait and I live offgrid meaning my battery needs was imperative. I needed them asap.
He set me up with temporary pack (Frankenstein pack) because he sympathized with my needs. And felt bad.
And now I'm setting up my new packs after waiting 6 months. But common sense told me if anything went wrong I would have to wait, considering the supplier is over seas and it takes months to just recieve a order. There are many on youtube, facebook and other site that have guys that recieved damaged,bloated cells. They were offered refund or exchange after shipping the cells back to supplier. Most just buy a replacement because return shipping sucks. And is expensive.
For a tech based group that plays and researchs these cells I'm assuming you guys are aware of these issues. But still made the choice to pull the trigger.
I hope this helps some put things into prospective. God bless.

Last edited:
Sorry but this to me says I need someone to blame and Michael is the easiest. What is with the entitlement and need for instant results from people now in days. I'm sorry but yes Michael is the middle man. And yes he used a new supplier. No one ever said Michael's hookups was the best. We are dealing with Chinese and there not the most honest.
The world we are in today is one that takes a sentence and twists and manipulates it way beyond its original meaning to get the results we want. Not exactly a moral value at all.
Not everyone can be handled at the same time. And this dude stepped up and offered the group buy so everyone can get a great price.
Sorry but if your statement was true the you didn't go with him to save money you went with him to find a good supplier then you would have chose from one of the 2 well known suppliers yourself on alibuba or the other sites.
I'm not say Mike worded himself correct. Especially in a world that will twist every word at the 1st available option to get what they want out of the situation.
I hate responding this way. This site has been great to me. But seeing people jump on the bashing ship the 1st time there's a hiccup after many many reliable transactions is crazy.
Hes sorting it out. And I wouldn't respond to a bunch of messages of people bashing and being crude after many many successful transactions either, not until I had a answer to give people.
1. You all know the risk of dealing with overseas transactions.
2. Him buying in bulk(group buy) isn't any different than you making the purchase yourself. Except hes dealing with them vs. You.
3. It's likely his own personal money your taping into when you reverse charges. As he used your money to buy the cells you requested in the group buy. So yes your likely taking his personal money.
So here's how a group buy works.
He takes a list of what's needed and gets a quote for each person.
Then he collects the money from each individual in the group buy.
Next he places the order. And pays the bill. Each personal order is shipped directly to the person and never touches the lead of the group buys hands. ( kind of a hail marry).

Now if he's just some Joe shmo trying to be nice and gather a group so everyone gets a great price and maybe only makes a couple hundred off the sale. Then you jump ship and start attacking his bank account, that's you taking his money. HES NOT THE SUPPLIER!!! They recieved your money that you funneled through him.
Now if Joe shmo only makes 20k a year he's likely living pay check to paycheck or close. A guy with a 100k job may have a few grand saved.
When you do a reversal your taking his money if the supplier hasn't recieved the damaged product and issued a refund to the lead of the group buy.
Your taking from his kids/family.
So please see the situation for what it is. Not turn it into what enables you to be angry and bash and get a mob fired up for a situation that is temporarily out of his control. Use some morals and have some understanding.
There has been a few including myself that has had issues and Michael went way out of his way to resolve them. If it was a scam he could have ran. Especially in my case. I gave him cash.
But he was honest and got it fixed. I did have to wait and I live offgrid meaning my battery needs was imperative. I needed them asap.
He set me up with temporary pack (Frankenstein pack) because he sympathized with my needs. And felt bad.
And now I'm setting up my new packs after waiting 6 months. But common sense told me if anything went wrong I would have to wait, considering the supplier is over seas and it takes months to just recieve a order.
I hope this helps some put things into prospective. God bless.
I’ll do my best and not take what you said personally. ?

Back