diy solar

diy solar

December PV starting off crappy again.

Right, it is too smart for it's own good. A resistive 5kw heater ran just fine.
Yup
It doesn't care if it is grounded or not, to work.
But more and more equipment is getting safety minded. And looking for a ground, before it will work.

I just have a 3.6KW array and one Lifepower4 5KWh batt, and for most of December was getting about 2.5KWh a day, some days we would do some laundry and that would up our production to 5kwh. But this week has been brutal, this steel wool cloudiness/fog has really put the kibosh on production.

One 5KWh battery this time of the year doesn't last from dusk to dawn. But now that the sun's going down a minute later, we eventually will make it thru the night without having to charge off the grid some. This just runs our 120V stuff not the high power items like heat, dryer, stove, etc.

Just need mo' batts..

December has just been terrible nothing but clouds we are right on the edge of having to switch over to grid. Past 30 minutes it has gone back to full cloud cover. Weather says it could to partly cloudy by 3 but that does not leave much time for charging.

After a few days without sun it is impressive the difference when the skies are blue. I might achieve a full charge on #1 battery bank by 2pm and possibly #2 battery bank (it was more depleted) might achieve 100% before the day ends. Sadly the clouds are due to return tomorrow.

The weather here has been a Yo-Yo. Not only can't it make up it's mind, the predictions are wrong, making it tough to manage. If I was not grid tied, I would be in big trouble. My December production total is now up to 360 KWHs. That is an average of 12 KWHs a day, or still 2.5 sun hours per day on my 4.8 KW of solar panels. The "good" days hit just 3.1 sun hours to make 15 KWHs. My daily energy usage is coming in at about 17 KWHs. On the good days, my DC system has been making enough to cover it. Even with the cheap charge controller, on a 3 sun hour day, where the Enphase made 14 KWHs, the DC system made just over 5 KWHs. That easily covers my usage on good days. Today has just been weird. The forecast called for cloudy to partly cloudy all day. But now the sun is out in force again. My battery is fully topped out just after 1 pm. The solar power is fully running my house and I am exporting 1,800 watts to the grid.

The past 2 days were beautiful ... clear and cool here, which made up for the rest of the dreary month.

1600 watts of panels working. December so far, 120 kWh. August was my best month with 216 kWh.

I tilt up my arrays for the winter too, helps both with solar and with snow removal.
I looked up Des moines, sun-down yesterday was 4:52Pm - your 8.4kW array from 10:00 to 4:52 had just shy of 7 hours to collect those 49.03kWh, meaning they operated on average, 7kW per hour x 7 hours or 83% of max. I wish I was getting that performance!
Still no snow on the ground up here, seems to really cut my solar compared with last winter.
{did I just admit I want it to snow? LOL}
I recorded the output on my phone at high noon. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/5...-unless-youre-some-kind-of-solar-freak.75746/

Back