diy solar

diy solar

Dirty Electricity Reduction

lane77

Does anyone have any experience reducing the dirty electricity (DE) caused by solar inverters?

I am wanting to go solar, since paying $850/month on electricity here in Orange County, California is insanity but I have health concerns over the dirty electricity caused by the inverters.

I already have stetzor filters in my house that help reduce DE currently caused by my appliances, etc, but I am not sure they are enough to filter out the DE caused by a solar system.

Here is an explanation on what dirty electricity is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecwetD2zsms&t=30s

Here is one of several videos that I've seen proving that solar battery inverters cause high amounts of dirty electricity :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u1-kNHi-y8

Not buying it.

Also if you cleaned it all up the ghost busters guys wouldn't have anything to pick up with their ef meters that they claim are ghost related.

Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited:
Watching the video all the way thru makes no sense to me.

If there was dirty electricity coming in thru the outlet the filter stops it going to the device. Yet he claims the switching power supplies all thru your home are making the stuff.

So we end up with this :

Wall Socket = Dirty

Filter = Cleaning it up

Device with Dirty Switching Power Supply

How can you have a dirty supply and a dirty destination that is effected by a filter in between?

If there was dirty electricity coming in thru the outlet the filter stops it going to the device. Yet he claims the switching power supplies all thru your home are making the stuff.

So we end up with this :

Wall Socket = Dirty

Filter = Cleaning it up

How can you have a dirty supply and a dirty destination that is effected by a filter in between?

If the electricity in the wires is "dirty" then filtering at the socket is going to be pointless, since the unshielded wires throughout the house are going to radiate much more than any device that receives it.

That said, a low-frequency inverter should produce much less EMI, or at least at a lower frequency, so you're detectors will likely not detect it.

Does anyone have any experience reducing the dirty electricity (DE) caused by solar inverters?

I am wanting to go solar, since paying $850/month on electricity here in Orange County, California is insanity but I have health concerns over the dirty electricity caused by the inverters.

I already have stetzor filters in my house that help reduce DE currently caused by my appliances, etc, but I am not sure they are enough to filter out the DE caused by a solar system.

Here is an explanation on what dirty electricity is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecwetD2zsms&t=30s

Here is one of several videos that I've seen proving that solar battery inverters cause high amounts of dirty electricity :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u1-kNHi-y8

Bogus.

OIVEY - Facepalming is a new National Passtime ?
Inversion Systems, even MOD-SINE is generally cleaner than Grid Power & Pure Sine Inverters most often beat grid for clean straight precise frequency and voltage consistency.

I believe OP is thrashing EMF (EMI?), not other power problems like THD or surge protection ...

IDK enough about EMF (sickness?), and until I research it thoroughly, it seems more like smoke and mirrors at this point ... I've heard that some people suffer greatly from it, but I haven't researched this affect on a person's health (it doesn't bother me or rest of family), so any solution marketed for EMF also seems like snake oil to me. This is a homework item for me, but it's low on the list of such research ...

As a casual ham radio operator (technician license level), I understand EMI a bit (not to the ELMER-level), and I couldn't count the number of devices around the home that throw off such interference to a sensitive ham radio. Perhaps EMF-sickness sufferers are like ham radio receivers. Haven't really researched this very well, wrt solar power inverters, but I could easily see that some (most?) manufacturers don't include a ham radio receiver as part of their test suite ... I usually read about bad interference on ham radio sites' forums, and these reports are legion.

THD, surges ... these are indeed power problems. I've spent countless hours researching THD, which is most likely very prevalent on our home wiring due to countless SMPS's ... can't do anything about it, as there are no "TPD's" (THD protection device) for me to buy at the consumer level. Surges I can do something about, in the form of SPD's at various levels throughout my house wiring. I'm off-grid, and have SPD's at endpoints in our wiring system, and at the breaker panel, and at the inverter. All easily bought & installed ...

Both THD and surges are big topics, with much professional (EE & such) research out there ... both are still not very well known at the consumer level. Surges, at least, are starting to become a bit more well-known, as codes are starting to address them.

To most consumers, it all must seem like FBM ... only research counters that, if one spends *countless hours* on it.

What health concerns do you have?

I believe OP's health concern is "dirty electricity" (DE), which seems to be a "coined" term for electrical frequency health issues that seem to affect some folks; possibly medically diagnosed "radiofrequency sickness"?

Perhaps OP will respond affirmatively, as I could be way off base, but it seems that one of the "fixes" for DE is going off-grid mostly in a DC versus AC fashion, and/or implementing various fixes to reduce AC frequency harmonics.

In just a bit of casual research, the terminology is all over the map, full of what I think are marketing terms, and so on. Much more reading to do, but it seems that DE is the result of higher harmonic frequencies, more than 180hz, thus perhaps leaning towards THDv, and ultimately a THD problem. EE's can fix THD in large commercial/industrial environments with specialized filters (that we couldn't afford, buy/install, etc.)

Interestingly (in a potentially snake oil fashion), there are "stetzer filters" and a "stetzer measuring tool" for the home environment, offered by the "stetzerizer" folks ... marketing terminology abounds, which I always think is a sales trap. More reading to do here, as up to this point, I've never found a true fix for THD in the home environment. Due to widespread SMPS proliferation by the electrical device manufacturers, THD is really a thing (again, based on my research). We don't have EE's at home, and nothing to buy for the home market to block THD ... until this "stetzerizor" ... I'd have to thank the OP for pointing me at it, even though I don't know which way I'll fall after more research. But, apparently, according to the stetzer folks, there is a fix for THD, in the form of the "stetzerizer" filter?

If you want to enjoy the same rabbithole as I seem to be experiencing, start with:

dirty electricity (google this)
stetzerelectric.com (measuring tool and *filters*)

Luckily, I don't have a utility grid "smart meter" at home (one supposed source of the problem), and I'm off-grid in many ways, so perhaps I've escaped most of the affects just by choosing wisely (to go off-grid).

Just don't call me Alice ...

So we end up with this :

Wall Socket = Dirty

Filter = Cleaning it up

The good news is , if you wear a Mood Ring from the 70s, it will form a barrier around you so that dirty energy AND all negative vibes in life are bounced toward space…

There are filters and dampening devices that can be plugged in. I did a deep dive into this and Emf a while back. From my findings some are uneffected, some attribute their health challenges to something else and some are helped by lifestyle changes.

@lane77
I see you are very new here. I don't think anyone is making jokes or being critical of you. There is a larger misunderstanding of maybe what you are asking. If you could clarify some of your comments I think you might get some great information.
There are a bunch of really smart people on this forum and most aren't trying to sell you something but could lead you to your answers.

I found plenty of health effects due to DE, in just a few minutes online ... perhaps someone (else) will list them out!

OP ... after some of the (minimal) research I did, I think there are numerous strategies you can employ:
- don't use AIO inverters, and instead use individual components
- prevent/isolate the "noise" from the mppt component
- keep all "found to be noisy" components away from you, if sensitive to it

So, it is MPPT's, poor connections, and so on that contribute to DE. The DE problem looks real to me, after just a bit of research. There are plenty of "power problems", and now it appears that DE is in the mix, for some.

(Some) Folks do suffer heavily from DE. A bit more empathy will go a long way, even as we all strive to avoid the snake oil parts of it.

Hope this helps ...

If your worried about it, just go with the distance rule. Its a logarithmic relation ship between distance and power. You can also put your inverters in a metal box vented box if that will help calm the mind. Education vs fear also would likely help out in this situation.

There are much worse things out there for you OP. First thing would be to move OUT of the city and into the country. That will provide 10000x more health affect then any unknow affect from electrical gear.

There are no health risks from EMF from solar inverters. People claiming sickness from EMF are mentally ill. Ignore them and don't give them money.

Back