diy solar

diy solar

EG4 new AIO rated 12K output and 18kPV aka "EG4-18Kpv-12LV"

A. Wow now i feel dumb! LoL ? makes total sense that was a dumb question. Thanks for your patience, maybe at least it’ll help someone else when they read your explanation.

So just so i can understand, the reason we are doing this is because that way the inverter side will remain active thus as soon as the sun can start charging it’ll do so without hesitation nor needing my invervention. Clever

B. Got it now. I’m clear now. Thanks again.

C. Regarding the bug, thats all they told me, no further explanation, they remotely reinstalled firmware and maybe did some other stuff. But im back to feeding the load and not on EPS mode anymore. The grid helped the inverter to charge my car at 11,000w plus 3,000w of the rest of the house, it couldnt do that on EPS mode. It was either the batteries/solar OR the grid, its not able to assist with loads. This is much better i think.

Lets see if i dont get the export problem again. I see it showing it “exported” 0.4kW today.
A. Correct (I only had one night, 3 days ago when low SOC hit the "grid cutoff" threshold) so haven't been able to completely test it...I've done simulations and it worked.

C. Well this will be interesting...I assumed you were still on the EPS only mode firmware.
Are you doing upstream grid assist or just a critical load panel?

Last edited:
A. Correct (I only had one night, 3 days ago when low SOC hit the "grid cutoff" threshold) so haven't been able to completely test it...I done simulations and it worked.

C. Well this will be interesting...I assumed you were still on the EPS only mode firmware.
Are you doing upstream grid assist or just a critical load panel?
By deduction im assuming “upstream grid assist” means feeding the entire home?

For now I temporarily installed the system and batteries on a load panel that covers around 90% of the loads of the home.

Its definite installation will be in a new shed/office that i am currently building. After i move it there it’ll be right next to the meter and then i will easily connect to main line and have it carry all the load of the entire home.

Hope this answers your question correctly

By deduction im assuming “upstream grid assist” means feeding the entire home?

For now I temporarily installed the system and batteries on a critical load panel (but it really is 90% of the loads of the home). I will move it to a new shed/office, that is in building process, and when its there right next to the meter i will load the entire home.

Hope this answers your question correctly
So where are the CTs located, in the inverter or at the main panel main legs?

This inverter is surprisingly complicated around its grid input settings, I have been having the same types of issues and have half implemented these same fixes, at least temporarily. I do have to say though the grid load assist is absolutely amazing and if they can stop the grid feedback entirely this will be a brilliant machine.

you guy do know that there is no absolute zero export model on the market? we've got all the brands here with meters.
we go up to 30w if you keep the grid always connected, I have no other brand in the lab that doesn't go higher.

if you want absolute zero export so far the grid disconnect relay is your best route.

I am 99.9% sure that the solark 12K does not feed back to grid under any circumstances if told not to. Put it this way I ran that for over 6 months and never ever saw it. It was also able to blend charge from the grid and solar at the same time.
I know it's an older and lower power unit but I feel like it may have separate input control between the charger and the AC side of it hence it can keep them totally separate, I'm just spitballing I don't actually know.

I have seen my 12k do micro-transients and sell back when a large load suddenly shuts off. I also have my "zero export power" set to 0w though, because I can sell-back. If I set this to 60-90w, then it would be a non issue.

I am 99.9% sure that the solark 12K does not feed back to grid under any circumstances if told not to. Put it this way I ran that for over 6 months and never ever saw it. It was also able to blend charge from the grid and solar at the same time.
I know it's an older and lower power unit but I feel like it may have separate input control between the charger and the AC side of it hence it can keep them totally separate, I'm just spitballing I don't actually know.
Anytime a heavy load drops...you typically see a grid feed for a split second.

Edit to say this seems to be common with this style of inverter.

Last edited:
That might be why I never saw anything because I never loaded it that heavy, it was covering the general house and I had a pair of SP6548 doing the heavy lifting with the dryer, water heater and AC compressor.

This inverter is surprisingly complicated around its grid input settings, I have been having the same types of issues and have half implemented these same fixes, at least temporarily. I do have to say though the grid load assist is absolutely amazing and if they can stop the grid feedback entirely this will be a brilliant machine.
I love grid load assist is really great, i dont like the EPS mode, but i guess im left with no other option, im going to have to ask to go back to it, ive seen the inverter feeding back over 1000w, thats crazy, in really concerned about the hefty fine i can get from the grid company.

So i guess i have to do my 40 minute wait on hold and ask to get back to EPS mode. Btw, why is it that we cant control that option? Or is there a way for me to change from gris assist to eps mode? The 40 minute elevator music is annoying.

Just in case some is going to ask for my settings here they are. Also the latest 1000w+ export to the grid from minutes ago

IMG_7651.jpegIMG_7652.jpegIMG_7653.jpegIMG_7650.jpegIMG_7654.jpeg

I love grid load assist is really great, i dont like the EPS mode, but i guess im left with no other option, im going to have to ask to go back to it, ive seen the inverter feeding back over 1000w, thats crazy, in really concerned about the hefty fine i can get from the grid company.

So i guess i have to do my 40 minute wait on hold and ask to get back to EPS mode. Btw, why is it that we cant control that option? Or is there a way for me to change from gris assist to eps mode? The 40 minute elevator music is annoying.

Just in case some is going to ask for my settings here they are. Also the latest 1000w+ export to the grid from minutes ago

View attachment 160698View attachment 160699View attachment 160700View attachment 160701View attachment 160702
I sent you a DM, if you wouldn't mind responding to it id be happy to help you with this.

Someone from signature solar is going to reach out to you to help you out, I have a secret contact there LOL
And no I am not sharing it with anyone.
Someone just answered my call, he is telling me there is a bug on my software (last time they told me the same thing with the bug)… he tells me he is going to update the same firmware and keep the grid assist and hopefully it solves the export to grid (even though @SignatureSolarJames kinda said last night its going to export regardless) but lets see what happens. I was ready to jump back to EPS mode firmware, but this guy convinced me and im going to give it a try

Attachments

• IMG_7657.png
    IMG_7657.png
    273.4 KB · Views: 11
Someone just answered my call, he is telling me there is a bug on my software (last time they told me the same thing with the bug)… he tells me he is going to update the same firmware and keep the grid assist and hopefully it solves the export to grid (even though @SignatureSolarJames kinda said last night its going to export regardless) but lets see what happens. I was ready to jump back to EPS mode firmware, but this guy convinced me and im going to give it a try
Let us know how it goes.

Try having them put you on firmware 0E:0E.
That's the version I have found to run best when it comes to minimal export to grid. For my system I have seen minimal (less than 0.2 kwh) export each day and on many days it is zero. The only time I see export is when there is a large load swing or when the batteries hit full charge while there is a high solar amount incoming.
Version 10 (which is the current one on the app) gave me similar export as you are reporting. (over 1kwh in just a half day).

Back