diy solar

diy solar

"Ford secures battery supplies for 600,000 EVs a year from 2023"

Arkansas charges a $200 fee per year for a full ev over and above normal registration fees. I drive less than 5000 miles a year. That's twice what I use in electricity to power the car! ;)
Considering they probably already track miles driven when it gets inspected yearly, seems they could just change the rate based on miles driven. Honestly I'm not sure which version I would prefer, miles or flat rate.

Just so long as they don't go to one of those systems that uses GPS and tracks actual miles driven on roads in the state/county/city that some places were saying they wanted to do.

You'll be happy to know that over half of the world's lithium comes from Australia.
I'm even happier knowing that the sludge we were piling up around those geothermal plants on the south shore of the Salton Sea in the Imperial County of California was packed full of lithium and that General Motors is going to exploit that resource! Yeehaw!!! :geek:

I dread the day I have to buy a new 7.3 Powerstroke for my '99 F250 SD. They say those engines will go 1 million miles but mine already has over 250k so there isn't much left already after just 23 years in service.
I'm thinking about maybe dropping one of those crate ev motor setups Ford is offering. Not only would it qualify for the ev lane and parking but

If only you/we could drop in an electric rear axle (for FWD vehicle) or electric replacement for brake drum/rotor, and call it a hybrid. (bit of a problem for most automatics, but I have several manual.)

Would the average ICE vehicle be able to keep one warm at idle in a huge line of cars on a frozen mountain pass? I honestly don't know if that would be enough heat, I've never been in such conditions.
I remember a winter drive to Reno arriving close to midnight in a moderate snow storm.... the engine temperature gauge dropped to indicate cold and there was virtually no heat in the cabin. I believe my EV would be more comfortable in these conditions assuming I had enough range.

Those bikes get upwards of 40 miles per kw/h Some are pushing 100 miles per kWh.
But how are they for doing the weekly curbside grocery shopping? Plus Wifey would never agree to wearing an eggshell helmet and shin guards into the post office. :unsure:

I started driving a 2014 Volt in 2017 and drove it for 3 years. Excellent car but about 10 miles shy of what I really wanted in a hybrid. We would have bought or leased another Volt had they not discontinued production just when they were beginning to put in larger battery packs. We traded it for a 2020 Bolt 1LT that we did a 3 year 36000 mile lease on and it also was a terrific car other than the cheap seats which I hated. Then came the recall on the traction battery and limitations imposed by GM on charging limits, which killed the shit out of range. That brought lots of lawsuits and wailing but we hung tough through the whole debacle. In April GM announced they were beginning to sell 2022 models and were offering some really good incentives for lease holders that had not already settled with GM. We picked out a 2LT model (new design, nice leather, 7 way electric and heated) and GM bought out the remaining 20 months of the lease. We drove away with a new 2022 Bolt 2LT instead of the 2020 1LT Bolt with lower payments and the option to buy at the end of the lease.
It gets better.
Now it looks like Joe Manchin has finally worked a deal with the reconciliation package that used to be called "Build Back Better" and in that new bill is a $4500 point of sale used ev tax credit. I looked at my lease and saw when it runs out I can purchase it for $23,493. Subtract $4500 from that and I'll be buying the car I wanted for just under $19,000 and it will have less than 15,000 miles of very gentle use by drivers I trust not to abuse a vehicle. I hope Kyrstin Sinema don't mess this up.

Now it looks like Joe Manchin has finally worked a deal with the reconciliation package that used to be called "Build Back Better" and in that new bill is a $4500 point of sale used ev tax credit. I looked at my lease and saw when it runs out I can purchase it for $23,493. Subtract $4500 from that and I'll be buying the car I wanted for just under $19,000 and it will have less than 15,000 miles of very gentle use by drivers I trust not to abuse a vehicle. I hope Kyrstin Sinema don't mess this up.
Seems odd to get a trade-in credit. I would think the credit goes to the person that purchases your vehicle if traded in at the dealer.
Can't say I am familiar with the bill. Still needs some votes.

I remember a winter drive to Reno arriving close to midnight in a moderate snow storm.... the engine temperature gauge dropped to indicate cold and there was virtually no heat in the cabin. I believe my EV would be more comfortable in these conditions assuming I had enough range.

That means you need another thermostat for your radiator. What did you put in there, the cheapest one you could find on eBay? :p

Probably I need to specify that sentence. "I don't know Automotive supply chains"
Got it. (y)

How much losses the overhead powerlines have etc. (Did you know that the average power grid losses 10-15% of electric just in transmission?
Yes.

Don't know about elsewhere but part of the charges in our electricity bills in Australia comes from an average transmission loss factor applied to each distribution zone.

Got it. (y)

Yes.

Don't know about elsewhere but part of the charges in our electricity bills in Australia comes from an average transmission loss factor applied to each distribution zone.
Doesn't that disincentivize them from improving those transmission loss numbers? It's sort of like a government cost + contract we have over here in the states where no matter what your costs are, you are guaranteed those costs + a guaranteed percentage of profit.

Do they adjust I^2R loss charges according to instantaneous current? Or happily charge you "average" including peak daytime usage even though you're a responsible consumer and draw most power off peak? The mean average of loss will be dragged up by the I squared term.

As PV generators standing on the backs of hardworking poor people who pay for the grid we depend on, we don't get any credit for reducing those long-distance losses. Solar Power unfair to the under classes!

Seems odd to get a trade-in credit. I would think the credit goes to the person that purchases your vehicle if traded in at the dealer.
Can't say I am familiar with the bill. Still needs some votes.
It's not a trade-in credit. It's a point of sale credit available to anyone purchasing a used EV. The end of lease option is to buy it cash out for $23,493. The federal gov. will give myself or anyone else that earns under something like $200k annually to take the credit at point of sale instead of filing and waiting or not getting it at all because your tax liability may not be high enough to actually use a tax credit. The dealer will be reimbursed by the guberment after the deal is did. Easy Peasy. New EVs will qualify for $7500 even for GM and Tesla who have each already sold well in excess of 200,000 EVs. The bill also reinstates residential solar at 30% tax credit for the next 10 years, including batteries and associated equipment. :cool:

Doesn't that disincentivize them from improving those transmission loss numbers? It's sort of like a government cost + contract we have over here in the states where no matter what your costs are, you are guaranteed those costs + a guaranteed percentage of profit.
Sort of, however distribution costs are pretty well regulated here. Sure there is inefficiency and fat and waste and no doubt some getting more of the pie than they deserve but it's not outrageous. Each distributor has to submit their cost justifications every year to the regulator, who keeps a lid on such behaviours.

Do they adjust I^2R loss charges according to instantaneous current?
It's just a system wide average over the full year. So no, I don't personally get a different loading because of current or distance or anything like that. It's a flat rate factor applied to each kWh equally, simply designed to recognise transmission losses are real and cost money and it has to be recovered somehow. Most homeowners wouldn't know about it because it's baked into the retail tariffs and daily supply fees they are charged, along with various other fixed and variable cost recovery charges.

At least you're honest that you prefer to ignore data.
And a snarky needing to have the final word comment accomplishes what? How did the can't get covid if you get the vax data work out? Or can't spread it with the vax? Or won't end up in the hospital? This was all touted as correct, confident data, and the skeptics who turned out to be correct were slimed by snarky comments. I'm not ignoring any EV data, but I'm not accepting it as correct like a brainless sheep either. I don't believe this verbal gamesmanship is appropriate for a forum setting and won't continue. You are free to have the last word.

But how are they for doing the weekly curbside grocery shopping? Plus Wifey would never agree to wearing an eggshell helmet and shin guards into the post office. :unsure:
nobody in Bike centric designed cities wears a helmet. People feel that they only need them when sharing the road with cars :)
As soon as cars are not there anymore - and you drive on good developed bike paths. Very few will wear helmets and there are little injuries.

Back