diy solar

diy solar

I really like the new powerpro battery..

So I'm sure this battery will do well for those that put a lot of value on the design and simplicity of it all. It isn't meant for everyone especially those who have no problem building batteries from cells or even dealing with busbars and cabling on a server rack system.
You say that as if diy solar type are the majority. ? I don’t think so…
And that’s probably a good thing if you just look around next time you're out in public, or on a highway.

I had some time to read the manual and I do have a couple concerns now. Not dealbreakers but not what I hope to see either:

I believe some other larger scale parallel battery solutions have the master manage the overall current...balancing among parallel units. My two 28.8 kwh stacks rarely deviate by more than 1% and there's another local install that is a carbon copy of mine (the owner lurks on here) and behaves the same. Now...maybe I just did a really good job duplicating the 4/0 lengths to the common bus bar but I seriously doubt that's why. ?

I took my slave stack out of commission for a couple days to work a firmware issue and when recommissioned it was roughly 20% SOC behind the master (68% vs 88%). The master pretty much quit charging (talking maybe 200W) until the slave caught up and only then did the master start charging - afterwards they proceeded together from 88-100% as a team. I don't think that happens quite so apparently without active management.

Hmmm...so not really 200A until unlocked and even then continuous current over 100A per battery is asking a lot from the hardware?

Again, I think these batteries are pretty slick. Just a couple things to note.
Looks like the 200A firmware can be downloaded without requesting "permission". Is the 140A version the default option?
Screenshot_20230815_163846_My Files.jpg

Wish I'd known this was in the works when I ordered my GSL "powerwalls" this spring. These look very compelling l.

I live in the Live Free or Die state and may have to die because..........

Wow! Looks like you could get nine or ten batteries in that one cabinet. Will it handle the weight? What about the ampacity of the bus bars?
Should fit 10. I think it would be fine with the weight but I'd probably add some bracing if I really start pumping up the numbers. I've already got some beefy cross braces for holding up the batteries.

Ampacity of bus bars isn't all that simple, but with reasonable temp rise I calculated several hundred amps, which is more than double what I ever see myself using out of it. 3/8" thick, 1" wide copper. This is bigger than what EG4 puts in theirs.

I believe some other larger scale parallel battery solutions have the master manage the overall current...balancing among parallel units.

Series cells, balancing is the BMS job.
Parallel batteries - what scheme do you think adjusts current draw or charging between them to ensure both are at the same SoC?

I could see multiple BMS negotiating the lowest charge rate so none gets a runner it can't handle. But beyond that would require high power switching circuits for the entire current, I think.

I didn't realize it until last night, but I think this battery is pretty sweet. The look, form factor, busbar with quick connectors, communication ability, internal heaters, outdoor rated and the list goes on.

Now I want to dump my server rack batteries. Which one would you rather have. This setup:
View attachment 162371
Or four of these:
View attachment 162372

I just love the look. I love sci-fi movies and I want to make a system that looks really cool. I'm thinking four batteries and an 18K would do everything I need.

The communication set up was a bit difficult. I should probably make a setup video for beginners. I think anybody could figure it out though if they read the whole manual. I think there should be a tutorial on designating the master battery right after the communication protocol set up.

But besides that, this battery is pretty impressive. I'm going to be asking all of the other companies why they don't have this type of battery. Hopefully we can get some healthy competition into the market.

What do you guys think. Is there anything that you dislike about this battery that I'm missing? I really didn't think I was going to like it but seeing it in my shop in person, makes me want only these batteries now. I think I might move my server rack batteries into my garage today. I only have two power pro batteries but I could run everything I need with them. I'm almost at 5 megawatt hours with my 18K, so I really don't need to push tons of loads through it anymore. Making a beautiful system would be fun. I want to add LED lights behind it and make it pop :)
Why does it only support 3 in parallel? gsl-051280a-b-gbp2 (which is similar with internal busbars) supports up to 16 in parallel. Any ideas? Are these meant to be daisy chained?

It's because of the connectors and cables, I think you can add more but must use external busbars and associated cables rated accordingly.

Back