diy solar

diy solar

Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

For those following along.... flickers.....I just saw the tiniest of a flicker in my overhead office light when the microwave shut off....nothing to even realy take notice of but I'm being hyper-sensitive as I get this thing all going.

For those following along.... flickers.....I just saw the tiniest of a flicker in my overhead office light when the microwave shut off....nothing to even realy take notice of but I'm being hyper-sensitive as I get this thing all going.
saw the same today, my wife using microwave. I put the meter to it. It surges about 1000watts very very quickly

My next step is to go user if this doesn’t work. It appears to have worked but I thought the same thing last time. I think it should take the change of ID9 with my batts set to L16

View attachment 176278

I went:
ID32 SLA
ID9 55.2
ID11 54.8

Its appears to be behaving, I will have to see tomorrow at peak sun what happens.

For now BMS Comms are disconnected.
In all honesty i am not even using batts but for UPS backup, I just wanted to use this system basically an isolated grid tie

I think the BMS failure error I was getting was compile errors stacking from the BMS to the inverter. I think the language between these two systems contains bugs. Inverter brain and battery brain may work better independently.

Sorry for high jacking your thread @Kenny_
No this is great! for both/all of us!

Regarding my Comm issues, not that it seemed to make any difference but you might try reconnecting those ground wires... green and green/white.... maybe that has something to do with your charging issue. Dunno....

No this is great! for both/all of us!

Regarding my Comm issues, not that it seemed to make any difference but you might try reconnecting those ground wires... green and green/white.... maybe that has something to do with your charging issue. Dunno....
Interesting thought… I wonder why Cindy didn’t mention those in email

6FBDE49D-2458-4CC7-887C-8B7A97FC4DBE.jpeg9525AD0B-160B-47C2-B842-5A750853A200.jpeg

"Pin 1 - 5 do not need to be connected"
"Pin 7 is RS-485A, 8 is RS-485B"

OK, what is pin 6?

Pin 6 is ground.

OK, what is pin 6?

Pin 6 is ground.
Yes as is pin 3 green/white

I think BMS comms is having priority over inverter settings?
This is how it is supposed to work, but it does require the battery manufacturer to put decent values into the BMS to give to the inverter.
I am disappointed but not surprised that they don't include the proper cable and have no idea how to actually set up communications.

Remember there are two standards for Ethernet. Check your cable. Recently got an Amazon order for a 10ft and 30ft with different standard. Not a problem for your connection end to end such as a switch or hub but if your talking colors vs pins, a big difference.

Attachments

• IMG_3979.jpeg
    IMG_3979.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1
Remember there are two standards for Ethernet. Check your cable. Recently got an Amazon order for a 10ft and 30ft with different standard. Not a problem for your connection end to end such as a switch or hub but if your talking colors vs pins, a big difference.
Yes, good point, check, check, check, measure twice. cut once!

View attachment 176234

This morning....just starting to get solar/pv in....dropped to about 55-60 % overnight from basically full charge on my two 5.1 Kw batteries
Quick question, does solar assistant track both PV input and PV input 2. Also does it track output HOT2/L2. The SmartESS app that Sungold has us use does not track this on the SPH10K48SP and thus the data would roughly need to be doubled.

Quick question, does solar assistant track both PV input and PV input 2. Also does it track output HOT2/L2. The SmartESS app that Sungold has us use does not track this on the SPH10K48SP and thus the data would roughly need to be doubled.
Yes the inverter does display the variables for PV1 and PV2 as well as voltages on L1/L2, I believe Solar Assistant aggregates these for PV but not certain for L1/L2

OK, what is pin 6?

Pin 6 is ground.
Jesus Christ… that makes sense now… the attached drawing and email further complicated my thinking… language barrier is like decoding… that does make perfect sense tho

Jesus Christ… that makes sense now… the attached drawing and email further complicated my thinking… language barrier is like decoding… that does make perfect sense tho
Remove oranges and blues from T568B. Got it.
Alright I’m back in RS485 communication 485. Let’s see if i error 59 / OVP out tomorrow in full sun.

Thanks guys y’all are awesome ??

9DC64E6A-03E7-45DF-82FE-72AA28CB4654.jpeg

A part of me thinks I'll order a half dozen new BMS's when I build my next pack and try to get comms working. I should also do some more homework on the JBDs, I think I could make them work closed loop if I put my mind to it and utilized some other threads here.
Looking at those pictures of network cable makes my fingers hurt... Flashback to terminating shielded twisted pair on top of a mountain in sub freezing temps and 20+mph winds... Orange white Orange Green white Blue feck it's to effing cold ?

A part of me thinks I'll order a half dozen new BMS's when I build my next pack and try to get comms working. I should also do some more homework on the JBDs, I think I could make them work closed loop if I put my mind to it and utilized some other threads here.
Looking at those pictures of network cable makes my fingers hurt... Flashback to terminating shielded twisted pair on top of a mountain in sub freezing temps and 20+mph winds... Orange white Orange Green white Blue feck it's to effing cold ?
Been there! Long long ago!

When I was a two-way radio tech back in the late 70's part of what I/we did was maintain repeaters on mountain tops here in Colorado....not fun in winter...

Last edited:
Trying to dig into this battery thing a bit more today. From the Solar Assistant sight under the SRNE Inverter section:

Monitoring battery metrics​

Pylontech US3000

Narada 48NPFC100

Via the inverter​

SolarAssistant can read battery metrics such as voltage, current and power from your inverter. If your inverter has a communication cable from the inverter to the battery, then SolarAssistant can read additional metrics such as battery state of charge and temperature.

Via a USB cable from the monitoring device to the battery​

If the monitoring device is connected directly to the battery BMS it can read many additional metrics such as cell voltage, cycles, state of health, etc. It can also provide metrics for each battery in your battery bank. If your inverter does not have a communication cable from the inverter to the battery BMS, then this is a must have for accurate state of charge and power management.
Supported batteries when reading via USB cable:
Averge
BlueNova
BSL Bull
Daly BMS
EG4
Enersol
Hubble
JBD BMS
JK BMS

I also ordered that rs232 cable from Solar Assistant....

Gotta wonder though if it's not the same as this - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=usb+to+rs232+rj45&crid=9LP4PY78M5HG&sprefix=usb+to+rs232+rj45,aps,98&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
for 1/4 the price?

wth, might as well try it, then I'll know...

P.S. After trying some some things I'm skeptical that I can connect the Raspberry Pi / Solar Assist to both the inverter and the batteries... The configuration screen won't let me select anything for the battery other than Inverter and if I try to change it to something else (i.e. usb to rs232) it says I can't use usb cause it's already in use (by the inverter connection)....

I've emailed Solar Assistant to find out and/or to cancel the order. :(

Last edited:
P.S. After trying some some things I'm skeptical that I can connect the Raspberry Pi / Solar Assist to both the inverter and the batteries... The configuration screen won't let me select anything for the battery other than Inverter and if I try to change it to something else (i.e. usb to rs232) it says I can't use usb cause it's already in use (by the inverter connection)....

I've emailed Solar Assistant to find out and/or to cancel the order. :(
Do you have a cable going from SA directly to your batteries? If so it should pick up another USB device. One wire going from SA to inverter, second cable going from SA to batteries.
IMG_3985.jpeg

Thank you. I was hoping that might be the case ..sent a query to the SS people.... Hope that will work for me?

Thank you. I was hoping that might be the case ..sent a query to the SS people.... Hope that will work for me?
Getting the pin outs correct to battery may be the most difficult. Pierre from Solar Assistant will probably tell you to contact the battery manufacturer. JBD BMS was stupid easy with the $10 USB control module.

OK, what is pin 6?

Pin 6 is ground.
Per Cindy ?
Now im more confused than ever

B56AD2E3-128A-4D55-9555-CF38A8173030.jpeg

Well jyeah mine was working with just 7,8 I added 3,6 back in and didn't see any difference.

But my full all 8 cable was working for a week and then I got an error 58..

diy solar

diy solar
Back