diy solar

diy solar

JK BMS Deal AliExpress

Was looking at the envision 305s for $75 that came back into stock at 18650 but gone by the time I thought about it. Problem is a four pack of eve 304 plus shipping comes out to about $500 for me.

I can get a 280Ah 12V ecoworthy from Amazon for $520. Going to wait for cell prices to drop further.

Screenshot_20240112_185438_Chrome.jpg

So far, very happy with the JKs (non inverter ones). Have adapter hooked up to solar assistant and reporting fine. Balancing is working as expected. SOC % is damn near what the Victron shunt is reporting (running with it for the moment), about 1-2% off. So far very happy and cleaner looking compared to Overkills with Heltek balancer leads all over the place.

Received my second unit with heat today. Tho now I'm tempted by the ecoworthy twin pack of 12V 150Ah for $500...apparently LF560Ks may not be available until end of year.

EVE LF-560's go into mass production end of Q3-2024 and will be available for Public Sale Q4-2024, that is from EVE Corp.
Also do note that they weigh 11.3kg, which means 2 cells are overweight for the 20kg box limit, they will end up being shipped as a single cell per box. That will have a deleterious effect on costs...

Only cell data is high, average and low. I got spoiled by the Batrium with cell level data on all the time. As for SOC of the whole bank, I'd use a Smart Shunt no matter which BMS I go to.

So I would need the JK BMS RJ485 adapter and USB adapter for each battery? Are you using a USB hub to input more than one JK BMS into SA?

Only cell data is high, average and low.
Yes, sadly.
The only thing I am interested in is delta.
I can go to the JK app if I want more information.
But the delta should be available for a quick glance.
As for SOC of the whole bank, I'd use a Smart Shunt no matter which BMS I go to.
Yup
The Smart Shunt is my one truth. I don't even look at BMS SOC.
So I would need the JK BMS RJ485 adapter and USB adapter for each battery?
Correct
Are you using a USB hub to input more than one JK BMS into SA?
Yes

Side note
My BMS's are on their own instance of Solar Assistant.
AIO'Ss and Smart Shunt are on the main system Solar Assistant.
I also have another instance of Solar Assistant for the DC loads.

technology is not my friend. But one day I hope to incorporate everything into Home Assistant. Screenshot_20240120_081436_Chrome.jpg

Yes, sadly.
The only thing I am interested in is delta.
I can go to the JK app if I want more information.
But the delta should be available for a quick glance.

Yup
The Smart Shunt is my one truth. I don't even look at BMS SOC.

Correct

Yes

Side note
My BMS's are on their own instance of Solar Assistant.
AIO'Ss and Smart Shunt are on the main system Solar Assistant.
I also have another instance of Solar Assistant for the DC loads.

technology is not my friend. But one day I hope to incorporate everything into Home Assistant. View attachment 190127
Thanks, I've been looking to see what will work with a new bank I'm building. I do like the Batrium but it does get expensive and unless the pack is split up it is an all or nothing scenario with the shunt trip breaker.

Thanks, I've been looking to see what will work with a new bank I'm building. I do like the Batrium but it does get expensive and unless the pack is split up it is an all or nothing scenario with the shunt trip breaker.
Yeah, I'm a big fan of redundancy.
I have designed my system so that if any part is having issues. I can isolate it from the system and continue running. And then address the issue when it's convenient. Rather than being completely out of commission and in panic mode.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of redundancy.
I have designed my system so that if any part is having issues. I can isolate it from the system and continue running. And then address the issue when it's convenient. Rather than being completely out of commission and in panic mode.
With the Batrium, you have multiple K9's and each one is for a battery. All daisy chained together. If one fails or if a battery has a cell that causes a critical fault, you can simply bypass that K9 with the communication cable, change the cell count it the Batrium and be back up and running.

If one had a pair of CORE's then you can split the bank, one half fails the other half can still provide power. That does require another shunt, shunt trip breaker and CORE.

The latest JK BMS with inverter communication has added some features that Batrium already had. The dry contact relays on the JK are similar to the Expansion board functions of the Batrium. I see JK added a host of different settings in the latest version so if one wanted control like the Batrium then it is possible with the latest BMS.

I had thought about cell monitoring, I'm spoiled with the Batrium as it is a very nice setup in that regards. All cells in graph form on one screen. If I did go with the older JK BMS, I'd probably add the screen for each battery. This will be in my shop and monitoring would be easy enough and I could always use a tablet with bluetooth instead of the screen. That is how I use the JBD's, just click on the BMS while in the app on the tablet and brings up what I want. Compare that to the Daly in the truck camper and I only use the display screen and never the bluetooth.

Inverter communication is not that important to me, although the latest JK does have some options for charge settings that might be useful. With the latest JK almost twice the price of the older units, I just can't see the advantage when I can get the information I want using a screen or tablet as I don't need inverter communication. I like things a little dumber, reduces the failure points.

The only advantage to adding SA to the BMS for me would be remote access. I already use SA for the house system and as long as I know bank SOC and charge/discharge rates using the Smartshunt, I don't need individual battery SOC and other individual data remotely.

Back