diy solar

diy solar

Just Place new Order on Alibaba- 280AH x 8 for 1260.00 USD Delivered, Grade A to Canada

Heard from Amy, she had accidentally marked my message as 'replied'.

Is anyone else concerened that she is no longer claiming these are for sure Grade A due to the charging inconsistency reported by some on this forum?

I'm debating between these XUBA and the 180mah CALB cells that ARE grade A.

Since it is for my sailboat, I'm not wanting to take many chances.

Is anyone else concerened that she is no longer claiming these are for sure Grade A due to the charging inconsistency reported by some on this forum?

I'm not sure where you get that from. She replied to me YESTERDAY that these are Grade A New Cells. Nothing has changed with that and her comments about charging inconsistences is from what a member of this forum told her....it's not what they are testing or seeing. So I see no negatives yet other than a few cells damaged in shipping. Which is always a risk with the ordering from China Game. Pay with a CC and if things go South, you have an easy "worst case solution" to dispute the CC charge. YES paying by CC will cost you some extra fees, but look at that CC Fee as An Insurance Fee. Ordering from China isn't for everyone because it does have Risk.

I am absolutely concerned, I rolled the dice with them knowing that, especially with the video earlier in this thread where the gentleman received used dented cells. She did specifically state they were new, but backed off the grade A bit. A $500 gamble plus potential lost time. Ball is in her court.

When I asked her where this Question about Grade A came from this was her replay:

Dear Richard:
I am sure that it is brand new. About grade A, I used to firmly answer yes, but Steve on the forum told me that the charging rates of the batteries he bought were a little inconsistent. Although I really want to do business with you, I must tell you this very honestly.

So Amy is not waffling, in my view, but being frank and honest about passing on reports from a forum member regarding charge inconsistencies he saw in a few cells. Internet Forums LOVE to worry, speculate and otherwise spread rumors. So lets not get carried away her folks.

When I asked her where this Question about Grade A came from this was her replay:

Dear Richard:
I am sure that it is brand new. About grade A, I used to firmly answer yes, but Steve on the forum told me that the charging rates of the batteries he bought were a little inconsistent. Although I really want to do business with you, I must tell you this very honestly.

So Amy is not waffling, in my view, but being frank and honest about passing on reports from a forum member regarding charge inconsistencies he saw in a few cells.
Lol, note for note boiler plate response, mine was identical.

Lol, note for note boiler plate response, mine was identical.

I'm not sure why a boiler plate response from a non-English native speaker would raise concern. I do customer service for a living for my marine water maker and refrigeration companies and have a vast library of "Cut-n-Paste" answers to all the question I get over and over and over again. Since Steve first posted his charging irregularities comment, I'm sure everyone who buys or things of buying the cells is asking her the exact same question, so a cut-n-paste answer makes total sense. When I asked her yesterday while placing a new order, she confirmed to me again that nothing has chanced with the cells they are selling. They are New and Grade A cells. Welcome to the wild west of product purchasing from China.

I'm not sure where you get that from. She replied to me YESTERDAY that these are Grade A New Cells. Nothing has changed with that and her comments about charging inconsistences is from what a member of this forum told her....it's not what they are testing or seeing. So I see no negatives yet other than a few cells damaged in shipping. Which is always a risk with the ordering from China Game. Pay with a CC and if things go South, you have an easy "worst case solution" to dispute the CC charge. YES paying by CC will cost you some extra fees, but look at that CC Fee as An Insurance Fee. Ordering from China isn't for everyone because it does have Risk.

See the boiler plate response she is sending out about how she USED to say they were Grade A, but does not any longer. She sent that two me last night.

I am THAT STEVE and yes, I had charging inconsistencies during some of my tests BUT it was a matter of the charger being messed up and providing false readings. They are ALL FINE and within spec doing what they should.

Thanks for the Clarification Steve.
I think this "charge issue" has throw Amy for a bit of a loop her knowing that you are extremely technical as an end user and while not "affiliated" with XUBA have certainly been a proponent of them and their cells. So Amy has been mentioning the issue with buyers figuring that they have seen it on the forum. Perhaps a good think to fix the confusion would be for you to let Amy know that the "charge issue" isn't something she needs to keep telling people about since it was an artifact of the charge approach? That way we don't get folks panicking, because Internet Forums LOVE a good Panic. ha ha ha.

Thanks again Steve for all the Crazy amount of data and project sharing that you have done with these Xuba cells, it gave me and dozzens of others the guts to sire off a few thousand dollars to China. Much Appreciated!

There is also a 100A version which can be used on "cells" ($135 USD). I wish I had found this one instead of the 50A one which has yet to arrive.

Hi @Steve_S ,
Thank you for the recommendation. I am too looking for a charger to: 1) top off the 280ah cells I ordered from alibaba, 2) maybe use as a standalone 110v charger when my battery packs are not connected to solar or alternator, meaning charge from grid. Do you think the 3-15v charger you recommend is suitable for these purposes? Buying a $100+ charger for just top balancing is not good deal to me as I do not have to much other use cases for the regulated charger. If it can be used as a regular charger, then the money is well spent.

I know it is definitely capable of handling task (1) as Will and many others have been using this kind of "regulated" charger to do to balancing. I am not sure, however, if this kind of regulated charger is appropriate for charging Lifepo4 batteries normally, since it does not have a built-in charge profile to optimally charge Lifepo4 or any other kind of batteries. Am I correct? Thank you in advance, from a new solar player.

Last edited:
See the boiler plate response she is sending out about how she USED to say they were Grade A, but does not any longer. She sent that two me last night.

Bingo...Now that Steve has clarified his "charge irregularities" we can all see this is a Non-Issue and Amy can go back to saying, Yes they are Grade A without feeling nervous of the reports to the contrary. From where I sit...Amy handled this excellently and gets points for not just ignoring the "irregularity" comment. But I think her English skills added to the confusion. I've been buying product from China for years so things like this don't panick me until I see real reason to worry.

For what it's worth, I bought the same cells from a different source (Haomi). I'm finishing up testing right now, and no issues at all. Pretty much perfect cells. I'll update numbers in the thread here once they're all in.

Hi @Steve_S ,
Thank you for the recommendation. I am too looking for a charger to: 1) top off the 280ah cells I ordered from alibaba, 2) maybe use as a standalone 110v charger when my battery packs are not connected to solar or alternator, meaning charge from grid. Do you think the 3-15v charger you recommend is suitable for these purposes? Buying a $100+ charger for just top balancing is not good deal to me as I do not have to much other use cases for the regulated charger. If it can be used as a regular charger, then the money is well spent.

I know it is definitely capable of handling task (1) as Will and many others have been using this kind of "regulated" charger to do to balancing. I am not sure, however, if this kind of regulated charger is appropriate for charging Lifepo4 batteries normally, since it does not have a built-in charge profile to optimally charge Lifepo4 or any other kind of batteries. Am I correct? Thank you in advance, from a new solar player.
I used a bench CC/CV linear PS to top balance my cells and have used it to top them off, too. As a 12V battery, I have used an old Diehard LA 40A battery charger and a Alinco 5-15V 30A switching PS that I have for for running Ham Radio gear.

I used a bench CC/CV linear PS to top balance my cells and have used it to top them off, too. As a 12V battery, I have used an old Diehard LA 40A battery charger and a Alinco 5-15V 30A switching PS that I have for for running Ham Radio gear.

Thank you Sgt Raven! I am totally new to this. Spent like a week so far trying to learn stuffs.

This Alinco 5-15V 30A switching PS looks like a regulated power supply. So you think it is okay to use such PS to charge Lifepo4 from grid? The other Diehard LA 40A battery charger is a "smart" charger, which I believe it has built-in charge profile, right?

Does Lifepo4 require a specific charging profile for optimal charging? I saw online that it also has bulk/absorption stage, but no float. Would a linear PS hurt the battery?

Thank you Sgt Raven! I am totally new to this. Spent like a week so far trying to learn stuffs.

This Alinco 5-15V 30A switching PS looks like a regulated power supply. So you think it is okay to use such PS to charge Lifepo4 from grid? The other Diehard LA 40A battery charger is a "smart" charger, which I believe it has built-in charge profile, right?

Does Lifepo4 require a specific charging profile for optimal charging? I saw online that it also has bulk/absorption stage, but no float. Would a linear PS hurt the battery?
The Alinco says do not use it to charge a car battery. But yes it is an adjustable regulated PS. The Diehard is an old school battery charger, nothing special, but it acts like a Constant Voltage PS, when the battery reaches a certain voltage, the amperage starts tapering off. The time I used it, I was going to finish with my 10A bench PS, but it jumped real fast at the end. I have a Smart BMS w/Bluetooth and it did it's job when it hit it's preset limits.

Just for reference this is the PS I ordered after doing some online checking. I liked that it was metal vs some of the other plastic ones like what Will used. Based on all the chargers that others have been using the bigger point is to use multiple measurements for voltage and don't depend on what the PS is showing. Especially if it is only 2 decimals.

Just for reference this is the PS I ordered after doing some online checking. I liked that it was metal vs some of the other plastic ones like what Will used. Based on all the chargers that others have been using the bigger point is to use multiple measurements for voltage and don't depend on what the PS is showing. Especially if it is only 2 decimals.

I contacted the importer of my triple channel PS and there is trim pots on the back side of the meters to adjust the amperage and voltage readings. Need to get some diddle sticks, before I open it up and adjust it.

Hey I don't want to hijack the thread with my Alibaba payment by credit card problem since this is not Xuba specific but many of you here have dealt with this so if you have a chance can you visit the thread I made about it? I need help.

Back